Pujols Gone

Tonka

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Cuddyer signing with the Rockies, the Cards should have more than a decent chance to sign Beltran. It would be nice to see Mo get that done.

While it does take one team out of the bidding for Beltran, it does raise another concern. Cuddyer signed for 3 yrs at $30 million. I am sure Beltran and Lozano are going to look at that and demand an AAV quite a bit higher than Cuddyer's $10 million. And they probably should, as Beltran is and has been a much better hitter and overall player than Cuddyer. If a team isn't willing to give him a 3 year deal, they are definitely going to have to ante up on a 2 year contract.

My thought is probably 2 years at $28-30 million. Is that a number that the Cards will be comfortable with? Perhaps they can get a discount on AAV with a 3 year deal, but probably something to the tune of $37-40 million. Do the Cards want to spend that kind of money on a player when they know he can't play CF on a regular basis and they want Craig to be an everyday player when he returns from the DL? Also, is Beltran going to be happy sharing time in the OF with 2 other players (Jay and Craig)? A lot of questions.

I thought about Cruz, but he really can't play 3b at the major league level. It seems to me he'd be better served spending another year AAA developing. I'd prefer someone like Carpenter get the ab's in AAA also and come up only if Freese got hurt. He actually seems to me like a perfect utility guy. With Freese and Cox in the 3b line, I'd love to see him get a little time at 2b and in the corner OF spots. He could have a quicker steady role on this team as your Spezio type player.

There are a few decent bench type players still available that would be cheap. All who could probably play 2b, 3b, or even a corner OF spot in a pinch. Of course they all have if's but they would be cheap and provide some veteran bench presence. Kouzmanof, Edgar (who I'd love see finish it off here) Carlos Guillen (if healthy. Was last year an injuy exception or the end?) and Willie Harris who can play everywhere and has had an obp as a bench player over .350 2 of the last 3 years. Eric Chavez also might be a fit for 100 - 200 ab's.

I remember when I thought Chavez was going to be an MVP-caliber player for years to come with the A's. Kinda crazy how far he has fallen. The Yanks got a Japanese infielder recently, so I could see them not trying to retain Chavez. It would be nice to have a veteran bat like his on the bench.

It would be really nice to see Renteria come back for a season or two as a backup infielder. I am sure he has at least enough in the tank to be a capable backup and pinch hitter, and it would just be nice to see him retire as a Cardinal. Maybe Guillen would be willing to come be a backup here for the minimum since he basically stole money from the Tigers the past 4 seasons! After signing a 4 yr/$48 million deal in 2007, he averaged 72 games played the following 4 years, and didn't play particularly well when he was available. And while he is listed at 215 lbs, he looks more like 250.

While it does take one team out of the bidding for Beltran, it does raise another concern. Cuddyer signed for 3 yrs at $30 million. I am sure Beltran and Lozano are going to look at that and demand an AAV quite a bit higher than Cuddyer's $10 million. And they probably should, as Beltran is and has been a much better hitter and overall player than Cuddyer. If a team isn't willing to give him a 3 year deal, they are definitely going to have to ante up on a 2 year contract.

My thought is probably 2 years at $28-30 million. Is that a number that the Cards will be comfortable with? Perhaps they can get a discount on AAV with a 3 year deal, but probably something to the tune of $37-40 million. Do the Cards want to spend that kind of money on a player when they know he can't play CF on a regular basis and they want Craig to be an everyday player when he returns from the DL? Also, is Beltran going to be happy sharing time in the OF with 2 other players (Jay and Craig)? A lot of questions.

It was reported teams interested in Beltran were Cards, Rockies, and Blue Jays. Have to believe with Cuddyer signing that eliminates the Rockies. The Blue Jays are in on the bidding for Darvish and if they win that bidding may not have money to also sign Carlos. One thing the Cards won't do is bid against themselves for Beltran's services. Bottom line is right now we really don't know what it will take to sign him...stay tuned!

It was reported teams interested in Beltran were Cards, Rockies, and Blue Jays. Have to believe with Cuddyer signing that eliminates the Rockies. The Blue Jays are in on the bidding for Darvish and if they win that bidding may not have money to also sign Carlos. One thing the Cards won't do is bid against themselves for Beltran's services. Bottom line is right now we really don't know what it will take to sign him...stay tuned!

Watch out for the Braves...word is that they are interested in Beltran too...