OT - Colby traded

I like what Descalso has shown range-wise on defense in his limited time at SS, but I think Furcal is obviously an upgrade both offensively and defensively over both Theriot and Descalso. Descalso has a grand total of 81 innings at SS at the major league level, and has made 2 errors already. He also only played 12 games at SS at the minor league level, during which time he made 7 errors.

Meanwhile, Furcal may not be a Gold Glove level SS, but he still has plus range at the position, while also giving the Cards a legit leadoff batter for the first time in a long while. Not sure about his skill level eroding that much, as last season he put together a line of .300/.366/.460 in 97 games, along with 22 SB. There are legit concerns about his health, but that is why the Cards were able to get him for practically nothing. If he can perform at his normal level over these 2 months, then he should improve the team. Even if he plays below that level, he is still an improvement defensively over Theriot and provides a lot more experience at the position than Descalso.

Probably looking at a platoon situation at 2B now with Theriot and Schumaker, which is fine with me as they give you similar type of stats and you can sit Schumaker against lefties, whi traditionally he has had a tough time against (career .209 BA and .519 OPS) while Theriot has fared well against them (career .301 BA and .773 OPS). Defensively at 2B, they are pretty much the same, too. That is, below average. However, better to have both of them at 2B rather than both starting in the middle infield.

I agree 100%

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100%

If they were really spending money they would have taken the closer from San Diego

Rumor in Chicago is La Russa will go back to Whitesox if they will offer long contract and money near what Cards are paying year to year

If they were really spending money they would have taken the closer from San Diego

Rumor in Chicago is La Russa will go back to Whitesox if they will offer long contract and money near what Cards are paying year to year

depends on what they would have had to give up to get Bell.

What I'd really like now that the trade is made would be to sign Jackson and trade Lohse or Westbrook. They'd have to eat some salary on either but both just have a year left anyhow. Then they renegotiate with Chris and try to get him for 2-3 more years at a better contract giving us Adam, Garcia, Jackson, Carp, Westbrook/Lohse next year. The following year Lohse/Westbrook are both gone and you add Miller.

I highly doubt there's any truth to that. There's a good chance he won't even want to continue managing next year, let alone take on a whole new project in Chicago. Even though I like Tony, it's pretty obvious he gets catered to here in ways he wouldn't anywhere else.

I highly doubt there's any truth to that. There's a good chance he won't even want to continue managing next year, let alone take on a whole new project in Chicago. Even though I like Tony, it's pretty obvious he gets catered to here in ways he wouldn't anywhere else.

There were a couple of articles written about it in the Chicago area. Basically, it revolves around the longtime friendship between TLR and Reinsdorf. Reinsdorf always hated that he let then-GM Hawk Harrelson fire TLR back in 1986 and has always wanted to get him back. Now, Trader Jack in Florida apparently wants Ozzie Guillen to be the next manager there. Therefore, the White Sox would let Ozzie go and then replace him with TLR, where he will then complete the Circle of Life.

Like you, I just don't see it. TLR is 66 and isn't getting any younger. If he seems short and grouchy with the STL media, imagine him dealing with Chicago!

• 3 weeks later...

Skip, I have to now admit that I believe you are right about TLR. It appears that it is time for him to go. While I was touting his overall accomplishments, and sweeping aside his churlish behavior with not only the media but certain players, once again the Cards went south the moment August hit. Since 2006, the Cards have played below .500 ball in the months of August and September in every season but 2009. And it is shaping up to be the same deal this season as they are currently 12-12 this month and took themselves out of any real possibility of postseason play.

Most teams would see no real reason to hold on to a manager who steerheads this many late-season collapses. Yes, TLR will be going to the HOF and deservedly so. However, he seems to have used up all of the fans' goodwill at this point in his career and it would probably be best for all concerned if he moved on and let the Cards go about building without his involvement.