Lazy is not the word I'd use

Criticize as you will for the recruiting of the last couple years but keep some of this in mind.

1--SLU may be the easiest school in the country to negatively recruit against. Hughes is the last player to reach the NBA, limited postseason, and last season are all easy marks. The fact that last year's class was as good as it was is very impressive. This year, adding the Situation to the ways to attack SLU, the results weren't as good.

2--The profile of the player that SLU is recruiting now is much higher than it used to be. That leads to situations where the Bills lose out to brighter lights, like Chievous at TN. We lose out to a team that is looking down the barrel of probation. As much as I hate losing to anybody, I'd rather lose a guy to a BCS school than lose a guy to SIU-E.

I will defend Majerus, as he is the biggest positive we have in terms of recruiting to balance out some of the negatives. I think that this year is the time for him to prove the supporters right.

Criticize as you will for the recruiting of the last couple years but keep some of this in mind.

1--SLU may be the easiest school in the country to negatively recruit against. Hughes is the last player to reach the NBA, limited postseason, and last season are all easy marks. The fact that last year's class was as good as it was is very impressive. This year, adding the Situation to the ways to attack SLU, the results weren't as good.

2--The profile of the player that SLU is recruiting now is much higher than it used to be. That leads to situations where the Bills lose out to brighter lights, like Chievous at TN. We lose out to a team that is looking down the barrel of probation. As much as I hate losing to anybody, I'd rather lose a guy to a BCS school than lose a guy to SIU-E.

I will defend Majerus, as he is the biggest positive we have in terms of recruiting to balance out some of the negatives. I think that this year is the time for him to prove the supporters right.

I do not understand the comments about the problems with the recruiting the "last couple of years". I thought last years class turned out to be one of the best in the last 20 years in terms of overall potential. Larry's class was better only because of Larry but with MM, JJ, Loe and Evans we have 4 excellent players who played big minutes against tough competition as freshman and by the end of the year they were really showing how they could be excellent players in a couple of years. Basically, at times they played like 4 starters and Loe and Evans, in particular really improved and became better players who should be really good when they put on muscle and get a little more experience. In fact, I think the whole recruiting discussion is a joke. If we had not had the incident and lost by far our two best and most experienced players we would have had a hell of a team last year and potentially a fantastic team this year. I still see this year as a real good year but it will never be as good as it would have been if we had the whole team intact. The recruiting under this staff has been the best we had--with the exception of the one year with the Larry H group--and only because of Larry--since the Grawer days. No one could have anticipated the incident or its impact on the team but we still have an excellent group returning in the fall.

I do not understand the comments about the problems with the recruiting the "last couple of years". I thought last years class turned out to be one of the best in the last 20 years in terms of overall potential. Larry's class was better only because of Larry but with MM, JJ, Loe and Evans we have 4 excellent players who played big minutes against tough competition as freshman and by the end of the year they were really showing how they could be excellent players in a couple of years. Basically, at times they played like 4 starters and Loe and Evans, in particular really improved and became better players who should be really good when they put on muscle and get a little more experience. In fact, I think the whole recruiting discussion is a joke. If we had not had the incident and lost by far our two best and most experienced players we would have had a hell of a team last year and potentially a fantastic team this year. I still see this year as a real good year but it will never be as good as it would have been if we had the whole team intact. The recruiting under this staff has been the best we had--with the exception of the one year with the Larry H group--and only because of Larry--since the Grawer days. No one could have anticipated the incident or its impact on the team but we still have an excellent group returning in the fall.

I was playing off the "Majerus is lazy" people because SLU doesn't score 5* guys. I think most fans are excited where this team could go. The Bills did very well with last year's class. This year, with added baggage, the recruiting wasn't as good.

Brian, I agree totally. My opening statement was a blanket one. This year's class is pretty light right now. As the Anti-Roy of the boards, I'd love to see some one and done action here...as in one year and the NBA, not the other kind that we've run into.

Last year's class was really good. The problem is this year's class. As it stands right now it isn't very strong. If this was a Brad recruiting glass people would be flipping out.

I think the makeup of this team is a lot stronger than most of Brad's teams. Year after year Brad needed a power forward, yet he repeatedly struck out. If the Bills head into next season with four available scholarships, there is an opportunity to land a class like this last one - Loe, McCall, Evans and Jett.

I think the makeup of this team is a lot stronger than most of Brad's teams. Year after year Brad needed a power forward, yet he repeatedly struck out. If the Bills head into next season with four available scholarships, there is an opportunity to land a class like this last one - Loe, McCall, Evans and Jett.

Very true, the roster is stronger top to bottom than at anytime during the Brad years.

Very true, the roster is stronger top to bottom than at anytime during the Brad years.

I have no idea why this year's recruiting class is so weak. Weak in terms of quantity as I know nothing of Manning's ability or potential. At this point we have 2 unfilled scholies and it doesn't appear as though they will be filled. We lost our top target to TN, a school facing potential probabtion, and now a guy we offer turns down a full free ride to go to Wisconsin as a walk on because he's dreamed of playing in the B10 tourney. A JUCO to a big 12 program, although who knows if he had the academics to get into SLU. As for the German kid, that can't be considered a loss as he already chose MD and will now probably go to Zo at UW. Also, we didn't know we would have 2 scholies to fill last fall as WR and CS were in those spots. Which explains why only one fall signee. We know we are at a real disadvantage going up against the BCS'ers. No TV, no brand name recognition when compared to the X's and Butler's of the world, and a lineup that's pretty much set for the next 2 years. Furthermore, the top local talent all seem to have their hearts set on going to top ranked programs which has been the case for the last 15-20 years in St. Louis save for the Legend, and we all know why he chose us over the likes of Syracuse. Did RM imporve our recruiting when compared to UB? By leaps and bounds. We don't plug holes anymore with the Obi's and Dixon's of the world. But still I think we expected a little more talent would flow our way under RM's regime. I for one thought we'd land a few more disgruntled BCS transfers than we have. But as Billikan says even w/o signing anyone this Spring we should still be OK for the next 2 years at least. The litmus test comes this fall when we will have 4 open slots to fill. However, the problem will be kids questioning who they are committing to in terms of the coach. This may be the reason we are taking so long in hiring an AC. Many of us assumed PM was a HC in waiting, although this was never made official and maybe why PM goes to Loyola. This AC hire may in fact be RM's replacement and since he'll be the lead guy on recruiting this summer, kids can feel comfortable knowing this is who they'll be playing for over the next 4 years. Still, the bottom line here is we've got to do something over the next two years in regards to becoming a relevant winning program. Our trend line was up after the 09-10 season, but it dropped off the chart this year. Winning will bring in the kids who are the marginal BCS'ers and may even help land us a few highly ranked locals if they think they'll play before large enthusiastic crowds and have a legit shot at making the dance every year. SLU's program is once again at a tipping point. Aren't we always? But hiring the right AC may just be the solution to getting us over the hump.

I have no idea why this year's recruiting class is so weak. Weak in terms of quantity as I know nothing of Manning's ability or potential. At this point we have 2 unfilled scholies and it doesn't appear as though they will be filled. We lost our top target to TN, a school facing potential probabtion, and now a guy we offer turns down a full free ride to go to Wisconsin as a walk on because he's dreamed of playing in the B10 tourney. A JUCO to a big 12 program, although who knows if he had the academics to get into SLU. As for the German kid, that can't be considered a loss as he already chose MD and will now probably go to Zo at UW. Also, we didn't know we would have 2 scholies to fill last fall as WR and CS were in those spots. Which explains why only one fall signee. We know we are at a real disadvantage going up against the BCS'ers. No TV, no brand name recognition when compared to the X's and Butler's of the world, and a lineup that's pretty much set for the next 2 years. Furthermore, the top local talent all seem to have their hearts set on going to top ranked programs which has been the case for the last 15-20 years in St. Louis save for the Legend, and we all know why he chose us over the likes of Syracuse. Did RM imporve our recruiting when compared to UB? By leaps and bounds. We don't plug holes anymore with the Obi's and Dixon's of the world. But still I think we expected a little more talent would flow our way under RM's regime. I for one thought we'd land a few more disgruntled BCS transfers than we have. But as Billikan says even w/o signing anyone this Spring we should still be OK for the next 2 years at least. The litmus test comes this fall when we will have 4 open slots to fill. However, the problem will be kids questioning who they are committing to in terms of the coach. This may be the reason we are taking so long in hiring an AC. Many of us assumed PM was a HC in waiting, although this was never made official and maybe why PM goes to Loyola. This AC hire may in fact be RM's replacement and since he'll be the lead guy on recruiting this summer, kids can feel comfortable knowing this is who they'll be playing for over the next 4 years. Still, the bottom line here is we've got to do something over the next two years in regards to becoming a relevant winning program. Our trend line was up after the 09-10 season, but it dropped off the chart this year. Winning will bring in the kids who are the marginal BCS'ers and may even help land us a few highly ranked locals if they think they'll play before large enthusiastic crowds and have a legit shot at making the dance every year. SLU's program is once again at a tipping point. Aren't we always? But hiring the right AC may just be the solution to getting us over the hump.

72. Alot of points and topics you bring up. In short, we had 1 scholarship this Fall and we filled it with JM to help plug the game of our biggest need -- an inside presence. I'm speculating now, however, I believe if RM had additional scholarships in the Fall, he would have filled them with more good players -- good kids/players who fly a little under the radar. Knowing that WR may not return and probably knowing that CS would not be back (whether the decision of CS or RM), RM kept recruiting. Except for CE and RL (whose school years/summer vacations are the complete opposite of ours) RM's track record here at SLU has been quite good in the Fall but not quite so good in the Spring. No differnt, so far, this year. Not making excuses for RM. Rather, I just believe that Spring recruiting (even for RM) is much tougher for SLU b/c of the large demand but limited supply as explained prior.

Also, the loss of PM and uncertainty of RM's long-term future is not a positive; however, I truly think having a stable full of good young Sophs and Juniors has more to do with our lack of Spring signings. I may certainly be wrong about the following generalization, but I truly don't think most of these kids we are looking at (maybe Brueing is different) are really that great of players and would start/play ahead of our strong nucleus of returning players. KM and MM/JJ are a lock at the 1 and 2. Same with DE, JB and KC at the 3. DE can also help CE at the 4 and I expecting a bullpen by committee approach at the 5 with RL, CR and JM. How much time would Cheivous really get here? Probably not as much as Tenn -- or the same as Tenn but Tenn is a BCS team playing in the SEC against Kentucky, Florida.... Honestly not sure how much time Winters would get (who wants to sit behind JB and DE for 3 years?) Thomas would get none other than the practice player he was offered. Same with the Wisc. walk-on player.

Again, if RM is better at getting kids in the Fall and if we really aren't adding anyone who can help this upcoming year, then why not give these 2 remaining scholarships out in the Fall and sign 4 good players only 4 or 5 months from now. I still wondering about that European transfer. Is he still coming and therefore do we really only have 1 scholarship left?