St. Joes Sends Packer's Team Packing...

Schasz

I think I said I wasn't exactly sure of the stat that I heard on the Selection Show.

I was sure on my other facts listed. I guess it all depends on how you weigh different things. I'm sure the selection committee had more facts then we did though.

St. Joe's did lose to Xavier the last game before the tournament. They also beat them earlier in the year. One could argue the loss to Xavier by 20 falling where it did was not worse than OK. State losing to TT, BYU, and SPUMAC. In fact, I don't think there's any way you could argue one loss to a team in the elite 8 over 3 losses, but again it all depends on how you weigh things.

I agree with you on tonight's game though and how it doesn't have anything to do with where they are seeded.

You did not know X was going to be in the elite 8 when the seed was given ... in fact at that time they were only slightly better than a bubble team. TT was more highly regarded. I agree with you that OSU has the losses ... but they also have numerous top quality wins which St. Joes does not ... and that is my main point they have no really good wins ... Gonzaga and BC ... I wouldn't call either of them great wins.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

First of all, the RPI is flawed. It doesn't really tell how good a team is or how good of an opponent a team plays. The RPI system only tells half of the story.

Second, the RPI is significantly biased towards teams that play in the Big East, ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, SEC, and Pac 10.

People need to stop hating on St. Joseph's -- they're good, and they deserved a Number 1 seed this year. Their only loss of the season came at the hands of Xavier, which we now see was underrated because of a sluggish start.

If St. Joe's didn't deserve a No. 1 seed, then neither did UNLV the year they won the National Championship (1990) and the following year when they went undefeated until losing to Duke in the semifinal. UNLV's schedule those years weren't as tough as St. Joe's this year. Just because a team plays in a non-top-6 conference and has a less-than-grinding schedule doesn't mean it isn't good enough to be one of the best teams in the country.

> You did not know X was going to be in the elite 8 when the

>seed was given ... in fact at that time they were only

>slightly better than a bubble team. TT was more highly

>regarded. I agree with you that OSU has the losses ... but

>they also have numerous top quality wins which St. Joes does

>not ... and that is my main point they have no really good

>wins ... Gonzaga and BC ... I wouldn't call either of them

>great wins.

How can you say that the Xavier win wasn't impressive at the time it occurred because we didn't yet know Xavier would reach the Elite 8 and then turn around and proclaim that beating Gonzaga was no special feat? At the time -- and for most of the season -- Gonzaga was one of the nation's top teams and it was before we knew Gonzaga wouldn't reach the Sweet 16.

OK ... here we go again ... please put on your A10 glasses so you can read this clearly. If you want to be ranked with the big boys play them !!! Do you not beleive that there are at least 10 teams that could have played St.Joes schedule to at least the same result. I agree the RPI is flawed ... but it is a system ... my point would hold true regardless of which ranking you use. The Big 12, ACC, and the Big East play much tougher in conference schedules than the A10. St.Joes and all the lower tiered conferences need to play tougher non conference schedules to make up the difference ... St.Joes did not. I have said all along they may prove to be a top team ... and even with the loss to OSU ... I beleive they did. They just hadn't done enough IMO to prove it at the time the seeds were given ... look at their schedule ... Gonzaga #9 1st game ... then BC #22 ... and an under rated X in the conference tourney ... lets see them play UConn, BC, and Syracuse in a 10 day period with one or 2 of them on the road ... if they had done that and held their own I would feel differently ... they didn't.

Next year if SMS goes 30-0 playing in the MVC ... will they deserve a #1 seed.

Put on your Power 6 glasses so you can read this clearly. Just because the Big XII is the Big XII doesn't mean their conference is automatically so good. If the bottom teams of the conference fatten up on home games against low-major teams, it boots the RPIs of the teams in the conference once they start playing each other. The Power 6 conferences are routinely overrated, and the NCAA Tournament and exempt tournaments bear that out every year. Yes, the teams at the very top of those conferences will form the pool from which the National Champion will come every year (except 1990), but once you get past those teams, the teams in the A-10, Conference USA, and some others are every bit as good, but they and their conference mates don't get to fatten up on a home schedule, so their RPI is inherently lower.

I don't believe 10 to 15 schools could have played St. Joe's schedule and gone undefeated. Fewer than five could.

Well I have ... my power glasses on ... we will just have to disagree. I think St. Joe's is a good team probably top 10. I just wouldn't have given them a #1 without some bigger wins