Cancun Bracket

bills07

The bracket for the Cancun Governor's Cup is out. Kwamain is on the front page of the tournament's website.

Release: http://cancungovernorscup.com/release080510.php

Bracket: http://cancungovernorscup.com/pdfs/Cancun%...CT)%20FINAL.pdf

Bills draw Northeastern (20-13, 14-4 CAA last season) in the first round at 11 a.m. CST. Northeastern finished 3 games ahead of VCU in the CAA last season and received an NIT bid. Second round will be against either Southern Miss or East Tennessee State. A win against Northeastern will put the Bills on ESPNU for the second round. Championship and Third Place games will be on ESPN2.

Can anyone on the board remember the last time we won a regular season tournament? Have we ever won one? The only trophy I can remember the Billikens hoisting was after the miracle in Memphis. I think we might have a shot at this one.

Can anyone on the board remember the last time we won a regular season tournament? Have we ever won one? The only trophy I can remember the Billikens hoisting was after the miracle in Memphis. I think we might have a shot at this one.

We've actually won several but none in the last 20 years.

Soderberg had us in the Paradise Jam that was a disaster. In 99 and 01 we get trounced in Hawaii tourneys. 97 was Puerto Rico where we were stomped on. Played in the preseason NIT a couple times under Spoon but didn't fare well. Grawer had us in tourneys in the late 80s. My parents went with the team to the Irish tourney in Cork, that was in 87-88. In 86-87 and 88-89 we played in a tourney in Hawaii. We won it in 86-87 defeating Ark-LR, Drake and SE Louisiana. Before that SLU used to host an invitational in the early 70s, which we won every year. We also won a tourney at Kentucky in the early 60s and then a couple tourneys along with an NIT title in the late 40s early 50s.

The bracket for the Cancun Governor's Cup is out. Kwamain is on the front page of the tournament's website.

Bills draw Northeastern (20-13, 14-4 CAA last season) in the first round at 11 a.m. CST. Northeastern finished 3 games ahead of VCU in the CAA last season and received an NIT bid. Second round will be against either Southern Miss or East Tennessee State. A win against Northeastern will put the Bills on ESPNU for the second round. Championship and Third Place games will be on ESPN2.

Already a game of local interest as one of Northeastern's Freshmen is Ryan Pierson, the All-Metro Center from CBC. Not sure how much playing time he'll get this early in the season, but he averaged 15.5 pts and almost 9 rebounds a game for a CBC team that came in 3rd in the state this past season. Go Bills, but good luck to Ryan, a really good kid from a great family.

I think Northeastern loses 4 starters and it looks like their bench did very little compared to their main 5. Southern Miss or E Tenn St could be a tough game as both teams look to have a lot back.

I think Northeastern loses 4 starters and it looks like their bench did very little compared to their main 5. Southern Miss or E Tenn St could be a tough game as both teams look to have a lot back.

They were a solid team last year. It could be a tough game.

I think we won a tourney in Hawaii during the Douglas/Gray sophomore year. The only reason I know this is Willie owns a VHS of "Sit In on a Jam Session" detailing that season's Billikens. Still painful to see them lose to Southern Miss in the 2nd round of the NIT.

There was also some sort of 2 game tourney that we won against Air Force and Alabama in the 99-00 season. We hosted both games and I don't think I'd really call it a tourney.

Yes, it has been well over 20 years since we won a regular-season tourney.

They were a solid team last year. It could be a tough game.

Right.....but if their starters were the reason they were good last year and 4 of the 5 graduated, it stands to reason they won't be as good next year.

We'd better win games like this if we think we are NCAA caliber...

I think we won a tourney in Hawaii during the Douglas/Gray sophomore year. The only reason I know this is Willie owns a VHS of "Sit In on a Jam Session" detailing that season's Billikens. Still painful to see them lose to Southern Miss in the 2nd round of the NIT.

There was also some sort of 2 game tourney that we won against Air Force and Alabama in the 99-00 season. We hosted both games and I don't think I'd really call it a tourney.

Yes, it has been well over 20 years since we won a regular-season tourney.

Jim Roder was a senior and Bonner was a freshman on that team. It was a little weird sitting in the hotel bar drinking a beer with a couple of the players who were seniors. I guess Rich let them drink if they were 21.

Right.....but if their starters were the reason they were good last year and 4 of the 5 graduated, it stands to reason they won't be as good next year.

We'd better win games like this if we think we are NCAA caliber...

Right. It's like last year where the games we should have won (if we were going to make the NCAA) we lost. Can't lose stupid games like this.