OT - Debbie Yow going to NC State

Yow named new AD at NC State

Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina State has chosen Maryland's Debbie Yow as its new athletic director.

Yow spent the past 16 years with the Terrapins, leading an athletic department that won more than 20 NCAA championships. She replaces Lee Fowler, who resigned in May and ends a 10-year tenure with the Wolfpack next week.

Yow has a strong tie to North Carolina State. The North Carolina native is the younger sister of Kay Yow, the Hall of Fame women's basketball coach who spent more than three decades with the Wolfpack before her death in January 2009 following a long fight against cancer.

Yow, 58, had told The Associated Press Thursday night that she planned to travel to Raleigh to meet with the search committee, though she wouldn't say whether she had been offered or accepted the job. The school's board of trustees approved a contract for Yow on Friday morning, said Keith Nichols, the school's director of news services.

The school will release details of that contract at a news conference Friday afternoon to formally announce Yow's hiring.

Yow inherits a program that has spent millions on facility upgrades -- most notably in football -- yet has a frustrated fan base with the slow growth of its two highest-profile teams. In football, Fowler hired Tom O'Brien away from Boston College, only to see the Wolfpack reach just one bowl game in his first three seasons.

In men's basketball, Fowler hired former Wolfpack player Sidney Lowe after a monthlong search that missed on top targets John Calipari and Rick Barnes.

Lowe inherited a program that had been to five straight NCAA tournaments, but he has failed to reach the NCAAs as he enters his fifth season, while nearby rivals North Carolina and Duke have won the past two national championships.

One of Fowler's last coaching hires was Kellie Harper as Kay Yow's successor. Harper, who was on the search committee, led the women's basketball team to the NCAA tournament in her first season.

Yow named new AD at NC State

Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina State has chosen Maryland's Debbie Yow as its new athletic director.

Yow spent the past 16 years with the Terrapins, leading an athletic department that won more than 20 NCAA championships. She replaces Lee Fowler, who resigned in May and ends a 10-year tenure with the Wolfpack next week.

Yow has a strong tie to North Carolina State. The North Carolina native is the younger sister of Kay Yow, the Hall of Fame women's basketball coach who spent more than three decades with the Wolfpack before her death in January 2009 following a long fight against cancer.

Yow, 58, had told The Associated Press Thursday night that she planned to travel to Raleigh to meet with the search committee, though she wouldn't say whether she had been offered or accepted the job. The school's board of trustees approved a contract for Yow on Friday morning, said Keith Nichols, the school's director of news services.

The school will release details of that contract at a news conference Friday afternoon to formally announce Yow's hiring.

Yow inherits a program that has spent millions on facility upgrades -- most notably in football -- yet has a frustrated fan base with the slow growth of its two highest-profile teams. In football, Fowler hired Tom O'Brien away from Boston College, only to see the Wolfpack reach just one bowl game in his first three seasons.

In men's basketball, Fowler hired former Wolfpack player Sidney Lowe after a monthlong search that missed on top targets John Calipari and Rick Barnes.

Lowe inherited a program that had been to five straight NCAA tournaments, but he has failed to reach the NCAAs as he enters his fifth season, while nearby rivals North Carolina and Duke have won the past two national championships.

One of Fowler's last coaching hires was Kellie Harper as Kay Yow's successor. Harper, who was on the search committee, led the women's basketball team to the NCAA tournament in her first season.

Good,Better,Best. Never let it rest, untill your good becomes your better ,and your better becomes your best.

Yow wasn't seen too well in these Maryland parts. She has huge run-ins in the last few years with both Gary Williams and Ralph Friedgen, two alums who runs the football and basketball programs. Williams had some down years post-national title and had some bad recruiting failures. Friedgen has flopped lately since coming in and post double-digit winning seasons in his first two campaigns. Williams has fueded publicly with Yow's staff and Yow reviewed Friedgen intensely before keepin ghim on thi syear. He had to fire some assistant coaches and all. But she's seen mostly as a bulldog of a guiding figure.

Which she has had to be. When she got here, the Twerp athletic program was like $56 million in the red. She leaves with it now $7 million in the red. Most of that is due to the outlay of cash to upgrade UofM's old Byrd Stadium. Or rather Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stad --- oops, no wait its Capitol One Field at Byrd Stadium. Corporate name changes. They are doing up one side of the stadium ala Soldier Field or Ford Field. About 46 SkyBoxes that they now can't seel because Friedgen's teams keep losing to school slike Middle Tennessee State and so on.

Her direction has led to knockdowns with Williams who is about as untouchable at Maryland as Boeheim is at Syracuse, Izzo at State and some others. Gary is the program at UofMd. The "Fridge" has lost some initial cachet. Gary's problem is that he doens't graduate players --- even those with no real NBA career like Nik Caner-Medley and Terrell Stokes hit the road once their senior seasons are over and go to the camps or try Europe or elsewhere. Even the "student athletes" aren't really there to be "students" as some have discussed in another thread. She was tough, but i think one has to be. Her univerisyt press release is at: http://www.umterps.com/genrel/062510aaa.html

Just like there will always be a good guy and a bad guy, Yow was perceived more as bad then good here. She didn't require the spotlight whivh I liked about her and she let her subordinates do what htey needed to do. She kept Cheryl Levrick afloat (I think) in the two or so years that she left SLU and i liked Cheryl so I guess Yow was good by me. But a tough AD has to make some tough and negative decisions. I thought she did well and will do well at NC State.

Yow wasn't seen too well in these Maryland parts. She has huge run-ins in the last few years with both Gary Williams and Ralph Friedgen, two alums who runs the football and basketball programs. Williams had some down years post-national title and had some bad recruiting failures. Friedgen has flopped lately since coming in and post double-digit winning seasons in his first two campaigns. Williams has fueded publicly with Yow's staff and Yow reviewed Friedgen intensely before keepin ghim on thi syear. He had to fire some assistant coaches and all. But she's seen mostly as a bulldog of a guiding figure.

Which she has had to be. When she got here, the Twerp athletic program was like $56 million in the red. She leaves with it now $7 million in the red. Most of that is due to the outlay of cash to upgrade UofM's old Byrd Stadium. Or rather Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stad --- oops, no wait its Capitol One Field at Byrd Stadium. Corporate name changes. They are doing up one side of the stadium ala Soldier Field or Ford Field. About 46 SkyBoxes that they now can't seel because Friedgen's teams keep losing to school slike Middle Tennessee State and so on.

Her direction has led to knockdowns with Williams who is about as untouchable at Maryland as Boeheim is at Syracuse, Izzo at State and some others. Gary is the program at UofMd. The "Fridge" has lost some initial cachet. Gary's problem is that he doens't graduate players --- even those with no real NBA career like Nik Caner-Medley and Terrell Stokes hit the road once their senior seasons are over and go to the camps or try Europe or elsewhere. Even the "student athletes" aren't really there to be "students" as some have discussed in another thread. She was tough, but i think one has to be. Her univerisyt press release is at: http://www.umterps.com/genrel/062510aaa.html

Just like there will always be a good guy and a bad guy, Yow was perceived more as bad then good here. She didn't require the spotlight whivh I liked about her and she let her subordinates do what htey needed to do. She kept Cheryl Levrick afloat (I think) in the two or so years that she left SLU and i liked Cheryl so I guess Yow was good by me. But a tough AD has to make some tough and negative decisions. I thought she did well and will do well at NC State.

Not that I don't think Yow is not up to the task at State, but it will be no day at the beach for her either. The majority of the resources and media attention go to Chapel Hill. It is a nasty rivalry that State cannot seem to win pretty much at any sport. Remember Chapel Hill has very good teams in basketball (all right except for last season), womens soccer, its football team has not been bad the last 2 years and several other sport are very competitive. State, the last decade or two, has not been so fortunate. Its basketball team has been a revolving door for coaches. Its football team last year only won 1 ACC game which was the important one, Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill did play in a bowl game. Also, to a lesser extent but significant nevertheless, will have to compete with the other 2 Tobacco Rd. schools, Wake and Duke.

I wish her well, she was very important in taking Billiken sports to the next level.

NCState/UNC has always seemed to be a case of the haves/have nots with NCState being always on the "not" side of the ledger. My daughter goes to High Point University so we are down NC way a lot (relativley speaking). She has a friend at Elon. Another goes to Chapel Hill. We drive throguh Durham to get there. Its about 20 miles south of Wake's campus. So I see and hear a lot of coments and trends. True or not, I seem to perceived that most of the Carolinians keep NCState in their back pocket as the ultimate "fall back" school. "Hey, if I don't cut it here, well there's always State." I know of two of my daughter's friends that are doing that this year. I know two is not a representative number but it is just a feel.

We have that here in Maryland with Salisbury State and Frostburg State.

Kids in my daughter's high school class that went away to places like East Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Lotoal of Maryland and even Colleg of Charleston has all come back and enrolled moslty at Salisbury. I think it helps that the school is on Maeryland's eastern shore, about 20 miles from Ocean City, Maryland, Maryland's boardwalk resort. So, it happens everywhere.

We have that here in Maryland with Salisbury State and Frostburg State.

Kids in my daughter's high school class that went away to places like East Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Lotoal of Maryland and even Colleg of Charleston has all come back and enrolled moslty at Salisbury. I think it helps that the school is on Maeryland's eastern shore, about 20 miles from Ocean City, Maryland, Maryland's boardwalk resort. So, it happens everywhere.

Just curious TAJ, why do they transfer back: cheaper because of in-state tuition? homesick? like the Eastern Shore better? better education? or, uncomfortable with the southern culture thing?

Don't believe ther is a reason that covers it all. It is coincidental that all the kids left Carolinian schools --- I remember when they all announced where they were going. I thought, damn, that whole class is moving to the Carolinas.

Miss Coastal Carolina got tossed for alcohol violations. Mr. East Carolina flunked out. Ms. Loyola of Maryland felt she wasn;'t getting enough lacrosse playing time on a full scholarship and had a sister at Salisbury (national champs, I think, this year --- but lacrosse is irrelevant) so she transferred there to a non-scholarship Division III school. And Ms. College of Charleston is a puzzler. She was there all alone and getting some major soccer playing time as a freshman but still headed north. Homesick? I doubt it; Salisbury ain't close either.

The gang she ran with also saw a kid transfer back to UofMd fron Uconn, so its not all a northern movement. The sachool of choice for staying local is Towson. Ihave taken some advance classes at NC State and also ventured into the hallowed halls of Cameron Indoor. I reall ylike the Carolinas myself.