This season

slu72

ended about the way the majority of us thought it would. Given the athleticsm of this years team what more could we expect? And this is not a knock on the Bills. But let's face it, we lacked a player or two that may have elevated us to the next level, i.e. a #4 and a backup PG (Morris sounds like he would have been perfect for us). Another legit 3 pt shooter would have been nice as well. Hats off to UB, staff, and, of course, the players for they worked their tails off to get us into the NIT. The majority of D-1 teams are now on spring break and we're not. Also, had a couple of things gone our way, well, who knows we might be dancing. What comes to mind is the possession call against Fish at MU and the non call against Sloan vs DePaul. Course that stuff tends to even itself out over the course of a season. With the exception of the UL, UAB, and 2 against UC we were in just about every game and had a couple of unexpected road wins as well. Some questions for StL residents. Was our attendance up over last year? Do you sense any more excitement about SLU hoops? Media attention seems to have increased, true or false? Also, would everyone agree IO seemed to have improved a lot over the last part of the season to where he could be a real factor next year? Where do JJ and DC fit in next year's plans? It was good to see UB play them in the tourney and not just mop up minutes. Who knows a summer of hard work on their parts and????? Also, might we not need DC as a back up PG next year. He played PG his senior year, correct? Especially if TL doesn't qualify. I don't see AD as the answer there.

I think you're right about DC playing out of position at PG in his senior year of high school.

Without having compared attendance figures from this year and last year, I'd say attendance was about the same. It seemed like we had around 9,000 fans for most games. It also seemed like whenever we started to build a little momentum, we would have to take off on a three game road trip. The Marquette game might have been the highlight of the year in terms of attendance and energy. Arizona was great as well - perhaps if we had won that game, attendance would have been a little better.

Maybe if we can make some noise in the NIT, we can have a strong start next season, attendance-wise.

As to DC, in my mind, a lot about how much he plays next year hinges on Liddell. If Liddell qualifies, then there is less room for DC in the backcourt (although Tommie could see some time at 3 as well as 2). If Liddell does not qualify, then we are scrambling for a big guard. There is an ideal candidate at big guard down at Chippola CC where Tom Frericks went.

As to JJ, I expect him to work hard on the weights during the summer as he did the summer before. He has some sort of leg injury that has bothered him the second part of the season. They took him in for an MRI (thinking it might be stress fracture) but it came up negative. He had a silky mid-range jumper to start the season and then it disappeared after Christmas (which is also when he was buried on the bench). If JJ comes back next year 10 pounds heavier and back in command of the mid-range jumper (JJ, please get in the gym and shoot several hundred balls a day), then I think he makes his way into Brad rotation. A JUCO probably starts at 4. Izik could be all over the place--some center against smaller, more athletic teams, some PF, some SF. Again, no Tommie Liddell probably means Izik plays more 3. Less time for Izik at 4 means more minutes for JJ at 4. We don't even know the roster for next year yet but I think there shall be the opportunity for JJ to get minutes at 4.

I like your thinking...let's hope JJ dedicates himself to a summer of hard work. A lot is riding on TL's ACT isn't it? If he doesn't qualify we've got two need to fill this spring, a 4 and a pg or a 3. I'd opt for a JUCO pg if he doesn't qualify. We have plenty of people to man the 3 spot. Man, I'd love to see TL, RB, and DP in the starting backcourt. DP seems to be a mature freshman type, so I'm guessing UB's going to have no problem naming him the starter. Problem is who backs him up...I'd go JUCO.

I think if TL does not qualify, I think UB takes both players at Chippola. They sound like both are good students, and players that would fit the system. This gives him 3 juniors (which balances his scholarships a little better), also give him another scorer and a more mature player. That gives you Lisch and Liddell + 2 bigs the following year.

I don't think he is a #1, more like a #2, but probably could play some #3 if IO is out. We have played small a lot in these first 2 years, so why not have 2 shooters on each wing. I don't see the #1 being that much of an issue, not with both DP and AD. AD's assist to turnover ratio is OK, plus his defense and intensity is a big plus. I don't think he will have to play 30-35 minutes at the #1 (like JF). Plus, TL has expressed a desire to play the #1, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to bring in 2 #1's. Of course, if TL qualifies, the whole idea is mute.