OT -- PAC 10 Expansion and TV network?

billikendave

Saw this linked at CNNSI. Don't know how this would directly affect the Bills but more potential shuffleling...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/bask...0,1268259.story

Ray Ratto has a column re Pac-10 expansion in today's San Francisco Chronicle. He thinks the two targets are Utah and BYU, while there is also thought about Utah and Colorado. But Ratto notes that Utah would not want to break up its rivalry with BYU for a new one (with Colorado). Plus, Utah and BYU are both on the Western side of the Rockies.

On the other hand, Utah itself would bring the Salt Lake City market, whereas Colorado would bring along the Denver market. The Pac-10 is exploring setting up its own TV network. Re Colorado, a good number of California college students go to college at Colorado.

Ratto also notes the ominous notion that the big conferences may be looking to split off from the NCAA with 60 members, anywhere from 68 to 78 members if the Big East is included.

With the Big 10 looking to add a 12th school, and now with the Pac-10 looking at adding 2 schools, renewed conference shuffling appears to be imminent.

Coach Majerus' pronouncements to the contrary, it is my opinion that SLU had best continue to park itself in the A-10 while the dominoes fall again and attempt to land in the best possible place when that happens.

What about Fresno State? Pat Hill is probably one of the most underrated coaches in the country.

It is doubtful that Fresno State will be asked to join the Pac-10. I could see UNLV getting the nod before Fresno State, as UNLV would bring the Las Vegas market. Fresno State was once in the old PCAA (now Big West), moved to the WAC, but then eight of the WAC schools, the ones with more tradition and backing, broke off to form the Mountain West.

The last Pac-10 expansion was in 1978 when Arizona and Arizona State left the old WAC to join the Pac-10. The Pac-10 is positioned in traveling pairs, and Utah and BYU would be a natural set to move. But Colorado has also been on the radar for some time.

It is doubtful that Fresno State will be asked to join the Pac-10. I could see UNLV getting the nod before Fresno State, as UNLV would bring the Las Vegas market. Fresno State was once in the old PCAA (now Big West), moved to the WAC, but then eight of the WAC schools, the ones with more tradition and backing, broke off to form the Mountain West.

The last Pac-10 expansion was in 1978 when Arizona and Arizona State left the old WAC to join the Pac-10. The Pac-10 is positioned in traveling pairs, and Utah and BYU would be a natural set to move. But Colorado has also been on the radar for some time.

So then, naturally, would Colorado State enter the discussion?

Coach Majerus' pronouncements to the contrary, it is my opinion that SLU had best continue to park itself in the A-10 while the dominoes fall again and attempt to land in the best possible place when that happens.

-i don't think you can just be in the conf, i think success must come with it, and i think we are on the way to that

is the PAC 10 better than the Big 12 for colorado? I guess if the price is right... anyone know if this is realistic from Colorado's end? That could have a domino effect from west to east as who would take Colorado's place in the Big 12.

I could see North Texas or Arkansas State or maybe even Wyoming get in. Rice maybe. UHouston maybe, but then we're looking at more old SWC schools knocking down the door on the old Big 8.

Guys. Don't forget academics, athletic department budgets and the non-revenue sports. Colorado and Utah, maybe. Some of the others? Doubt the PAC 10 is really excited/interested.

With the Pac-10 looking at forming its own TV network, Utah and BYU would bring the Salt Lake City market, and Colorado would bring the Denver market.

Ray Ratto, the SF Chronicle sports columnist, thinks it will be Utah and BYU, reasoning that those two have an existing rivalry, with good support, and that both are on the western side of the Rockies.

On the other hand, Colorado is a popular school for students from California.

Those appear to be the three leading candidates for two Pac-10 spots. Colorado has been mentioned in the past for Pac-10 expansion, as was Texas at one time. Now there is even talk of Texas to the Big Ten to be aligned with similar highly rated public schools academically.

is the PAC 10 better than the Big 12 for colorado? I guess if the price is right... anyone know if this is realistic from Colorado's end? That could have a domino effect from west to east as who would take Colorado's place in the Big 12.

If you are a Big 12 North school you would be better off in either the PAC 10 or the Big 10. The funny thing is that Texas is basically allowed to call the shots in the Big 12 and I think they would leave it to join the PAC 10. Texas and Texas A&M are schools to keep in mind when it comes to the PAC 10.

If you are a Big 12 North school you would be better off in either the PAC 10 or the Big 10. The funny thing is that Texas is basically allowed to call the shots in the Big 12 and I think they would leave it to join the PAC 10. Texas and Texas A&M are schools to keep in mind when it comes to the PAC 10.

-if i am the pac10 i can see tons of value to those texas schools

-two time zones may play a role in that (but texas has enough ego they may think they can change that, and maybe they could)

-if when the music stops there is good chair for slu i would love to see the conference dominos start to fall

Being football driven, right? If so, games in November can get quite cold in Texas even though Texas is usually warmer than Colorado. While I am no expert on weather and the West Coast, it is obvious that while cold weather is found in some of the existing PAC 10 schools (the Washington & Oregon schools), the Arizona and California schools which have dominated the PAC 10 all have the warm weather. Correpondingly, they play a different style of football. Traditionally, we have seen this take place in the Rose Bowl where the faster and passing oriented teams of the PAC 10 have had much success against the traditional Big 10 schools which run the football. Recently, the Texas schools have just plain been good (passing and running the ball) but I'd still suggest they are more Midwestern running than West Coast passing. Conference affiliation will change a team's style of play.