96 team tourney

All that makes sense but where do you draw the line? And why punish the BCS conferenences for having the best teams? Mid majors have buy games as well. You can't tell me that if Xavier and Belmont have similar Out of Conference resumes and conference records, that you wouldn't pick Xavier to make the tourney over them because they played in a much tougher league. It is what it is.

No, of course not. Alot more goes into the selection of a team than their win - loss totals. The purpose of the game, of course, is to win and not lose so I don't want to underestimate a win. At the same time, BCS teams that go 9-7 in their conference, and certainly 8 - 8 in their conference, are suspect and most likely not in the Tourney on that basis alone. Again, not so clear and exceptions can be made. Exceptions, IMO, would exist how that team did in the non-conference schedule and against whom. Under my rules, teams don't need to play Top 25 out of conference. If they do, they are rewarded. Same with road games and Top 50, Top 100, Top 150, etc. I take the position that your BCS conference affiliation should not prevent you from going to the Tourney (b/c there is a quota) but you also deny the impact of your losses either (saying our conference is so good/tough). In the end, it is still a loss and if the conference is so tough, go find an easier one.

Too many factors at issue to properly address in this format, but in short, if a team from a smaller conference goes 24-6 overeall and (12-4 in conf., I'd give the last spot to them and not the team from a BCS conference which goes 21-9 overall (9-7).

Some of the problems the NCAA Tourney experienced were that some Valley schools (and others) beat "bottom-tier" BCS schools - some on the road of course - schools like Wisconsin, Nebraska and others. Then, b/c these schools played powerhouses like then Ohio State and Kansas, etc., their RPI kept going up and up and up even though it was only one (1) win. More tinkering could have been done. Instead, they threw out the formulas and went with the traditional "name schools" from the BCS conference. Even worse, the non-BCS schools which did make the Tourney got terrible seeds and draws these past few years.

a thread debating this is running at the a-10 board. apparently the rumor is it is a done deal.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/sources-96te...done-deal-27742

i hope that is true as i have long said the way to make the tourney better is to let more teams in. imo i'd let em all in or at least everyone with a 500 record or better.

I hate this idea. 96 teams makes the tourney less exclusive and watered down. As a SLU fan I'd much rather keep working towards improving our program to make it into a field of 64, rather than ease the requirements and let us in.

96 teams? Who gets a bye? 96/48/24/12/6/3 doesn't work. Giving anyone a bye completely skews the tourney. Do you see many midmajors getting byes? No, it'll be the BCS schools which will even make it harder for anyone but BCS schools to break through.

96 teams? Who gets a bye? 96/48/24/12/6/3 doesn't work. Giving anyone a bye completely skews the tourney. Do you see many midmajors getting byes? No, it'll be the BCS schools which will even make it harder for anyone but BCS schools to break through.

You're right. The problem is that the NCAA Committee is having trouble saying NO to a rather pedestrian BCS "name" school. With 96 teams let in, whether or not there are byes or not, no doubt there will be teams arguing their case - "bubble" teams - being added with sub .500 conference records. :lol:

At the same time, good but not great non-BCS teams will get invited and given the chance. Also, it might actually be enjoyable to finally watch the current system #15 and #16 seeds get a chance to play a Top 20 or Top 30 team and not just a Top 4 or Top 8 team. :)

Again, I'd try to still fix the selection process of the 64/65 teams. Again, letting in another 31 teams will NOT affect the National Champion.

skip my guess is the 8 seeds and below all get byes (top 32) and then 9-24 seeds (bottom 64 teams) play round one. round two will be the top 32 feeding into the winners of the first round, so you would have 96/64/32/16/8/4/2/1

Funny thing is that the Billikens are probably the ones that would benefit most from the expanded tourney. I don't want them to eek in as the 96th team - I'd rather see them earn it. When the Bills are dancin' again one day, it will be time for a road trip because it's such a major accomplishment.

I wonder if the expanded 96 team tournament would be the end of the NIT?

Funny thing is that the Billikens are probably the ones that would benefit most from the expanded tourney. I don't want them to eek in as the 96th team - I'd rather see them earn it. When the Bills are dancin' again one day, it will be time for a road trip because it's such a major accomplishment.

I wonder if the expanded 96 team tournament would be the end of the NIT?

I heard today that they are now considering expanding the NCAA tournament to 114 teams