next year's class

bsheldon

No, not at all. I said, "prior to RM" we had, as you say, a handful of stellar talent (guys like KM and WR) who would come every 5 years or so. Prior to RM, guys like KM and WR would star all 4 years with little help from the rest of the team. How good would our team with KL and TL have been with more help? How good would the AB, Gray and Douglas team be if Grawer had added a pg like KM and another forward like Upchurch. How good would the H, Clags and Highmark team be if Spoon added guys like WR and CE.

Now, RM is adding guys equivalent to KM and WR each year -- CE, CS and CR this year, McCall, Evans and ? next year.

Still, I am amazed that many don't realize how good these young guys are and will be. These youngster just need to mature and develop. RM doesn't need to recruit over them (though who could really argue with this concept).

clock, he wasn't responding to you.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Clock was responding to Cowboy but clicked the wrong "reply" button.

Only clock can say for sure but he did say "we had, as you say, a handful of stellar talent"

Stellar was a word that bsheldon used in his post. Cowboy didn't say anything about stellar talent.

Only clock can say for sure but he did say "we had, as you say, a handful of stellar talent"

Stellar was a word that bsheldon used in his post. Cowboy didn't say anything about stellar talent.

Yes. Mistakenly responded to Tourist whom I thought was responding to me. Shoe, you're right, stellar talent is Sheldon's words.

Actually, I am pretty sure that was one of the main points of my original post--WR, KM and CE ARE stellar talents. We just don't currently have others that fit the "stellar" monicker, or any other word you want to use for exceptional, as of yet. Yes, we have a solid group of players that all contribute positively, and hopefully they will all continue to get better and may yet become "stellar" players in the next few years. I see a lot of potential. However, besides WR, KM, and CE I don't see any of the others guys getting much palying time for any of the teams in the top 25--which I assume is the common goal of most fans. I may be wrong on that. Some of you/us may very well be happy muddling along in mediocrity hovering around an rpi of 100-150 and missing all post-season year after year despite having a fancy new building and a highly touted, respected, and proven coach running things. Again, I am just hopeful we get better and the way to become a top program is to continue to bring in new players that compete for floor time year after year. By all indications RM has/is doing that--a very good sign of things to come in the near and distant future.

As I see it, right now is a great time to be a Billiken fan. We are (fingers crossed) on track for another winning season--and potentially a winning conference record with a shot at making some noise in the conference tourney. Plus as we have discussed extensively, we have a whole bunch of young players that continue to improve every game, and by all accounts, we have yet another good recruiting class coming in (potentially great if Loe comes and lives up to the hype.)

Despite

Actually, I am pretty sure that was one of the main points of my original post--WR, KM and CE ARE stellar talents. We just don't currently have others that fit the "stellar" monicker, or any other word you want to use for exceptional, as of yet. Yes, we have a solid group of players that all contribute positively, and hopefully they will all continue to get better and may yet become "stellar" players in the next few years. I see a lot of potential. However, besides WR, KM, and CE I don't see any of the others guys getting much palying time for any of the teams in the top 25--which I assume is the common goal of most fans. I may be wrong on that. Some of you/us may very well be happy muddling along in mediocrity hovering around an rpi of 100-150 and missing all post-season year after year despite having a fancy new building and a highly touted, respected, and proven coach running things. Again, I am just hopeful we get better and the way to become a top program is to continue to bring in new players that compete for floor time year after year. By all indications RM has/is doing that--a very good sign of things to come in the near and distant future.

As I see it, right now is a great time to be a Billiken fan. We are (fingers crossed) on track for another winning season--and potentially a winning conference record with a shot at making some noise in the conference tourney. Plus as we have discussed extensively, we have a whole bunch of young players that continue to improve every game, and by all accounts, we have yet another good recruiting class coming in (potentially great if Loe comes and lives up to the hype.)

In spite of impressions some of you might have, I am more encourgaged about the future of Billiken basketball than anytime since RG signed the outstanding recruiting which included SH and EC. We have a quirky HC who has trouble giving pointed answers to very simple questions, BUT it does look like he has been able to put together 3 straight very good recruiting classes. Given that we are not (and will never be) in the same class as the consistently top-class programs. Because of that we are attempting to recruit lesser talent--by that I mean we are not after any of the one-and-done guys that KY/Lsvl/Duke/NC/Syracuse etc are trying to sign. Because of the above it is hard to watch the big boys every week on ESPN and compare our recruits to the players on those teams.

I believe that we can compete at the top level of the A-10 if RM can bring in 2 "stellar" recruits every class along with other recruits who can provide above average depth. At this point I believe that is about the path that RM is following. WR & KM are the two out of the SO class, while BC is an outstanding support player (ideal 6th man) and KC (at this point) looks to be a good back up 2 guard-the 9th/11th man in a top A-10 program.

In this years FR class, I see CE and CS as the two top potential "stellar" players, with JJ as the most ready-now 7th/8th man. CR & JS are in the same category-OK at this point and with the possibility of making significant improvement, but likely not ever reaching clear starter status. FJ will have a hard time seeing PT after this year and who knows about JR if he ever plays for SLU.

Based solely on reputation and news reports, plus courtside's reviews since it seems like he has seen both McCall and Evans play, I put MM in the "stellar" category with a TBD on Evans. If we are able to land LOE then it seems like he would fall into the "stellar" grouping.

In summary, that gives us 2, starter-quality recruits out of each of Rick's classes along with some really good depth players. Obviously, this assessment could prove to be too negative if some of the "depth" players improve more than what would normally be expected.

This would be an interesting thread to review two years from now.

Bauman: Excellent post. I agree with everything you said with the possible exception bing the "(and will never be)."

I for one hope you are wrong in this one regard.

I have had this conversation with others before and I see no reason why SLU can't be a Xavier, Cincinnati, Louisville, Georgetown, Memphis, Pitt type program. Obviously, not Duke, NC, Kentucky, and as much as it pains me, Kansas type program based on history, rabid fan support and reputation. Again, I am not so foolish as to think we will contend for a national championship in the next couple years and stay in contention year after year, but I am hoping we become regulars in the big dance (ala Dayton) and occasionally make some noise once there. Perhaps a sweet 16 or a freak elite 8 run--why not? It is fun to dream.

Again great post--I too am excited about the program's future based on the talent we currently have and the talent that is incoming.