Mike Brey

On the ndnation message board..the bball fans are pissed that Mike Brey didnt get rid of some of their asst coaches. Kearney is going to Holy Cross..they hope this is Breys last season..Geez he has had a winning record every year and NCAA or NIT birth every year and they are not happy..Hell if they do get rid of him after this year which I doubt..We should get him..he can with with the SLU team we currently have and he is a proven winner..Rick just doesn't do it for me and plus Brey is upstanding guy who always sticks up for "His Guys"!

But this is just a wish..I doubt ND will get rid of Mike Brey

I think you're on to something ----- Bird Poop diaries out of Louisville says Pitino's on the way out. We should get Pitino. Cat Scratch Big Blue Fever out of Lexington is reporting Calipari's having second thoughts. We should get Calipari. The Squatting Bulldog has raised its back leg and says Mark Few's days are numbered in Spokane. We should get Few. Isn't Kelvin Sampson available? Notre Dame is insignificant in the overall realm of Big East basketball. Always has been. Rather than fire Brey, they should help form a midwest-based basketball conference of typically Catholic and private schools, ending the charade that is the mega-conference Big East. Now there's a novel idea. I'm sure the superior grads of South Bend will KNOW that's a league they'll win ear-in and year-out. Go for it.

Again, it harkens back to a question I've posed lots of time -- if Rick Majerus can't make SLU Basketball relevant, who can? Mike Brey, with all the advantages that Notre Dame has, couldn't make Notre Dame basketball relevant.

Again, it harkens back to a question I've posed lots of time -- if Rick Majerus can't make SLU Basketball relevant, who can? Mike Brey, with all the advantages that Notre Dame has, couldn't make Notre Dame basketball relevant.

Great point.

Great point.

If RM can't do it, it's because older highly regarded coaches sometimes lose their magic touch. Look at Spurrier at So. Carolina football.... the old ball coach isn't coming near to what SC fans thought he'd bring. Cremins at College of Charleston has yet to deliver GT like results. Texas Tech with Bobby Knight got better but it wasn't anything like what he did at IU. Now I'm not saying RM will fail, because I think he's already surpassed our expectations with his recruiting, but will we be his next Utah? I doubt it. And if at the end of his deal we don't reach the top 40 level was this experiment a failure? Is SLU hoops destined to be stuck in hoops purgatory for ever? Not at all. With what Biondi has committed to RM, and the Arena especially, I trust SLU will find a very good replacement. My hope would be we don't go for a "name" guy who's been out of hoops for a couple of years but instead an aggressive up and coming younger guy. Either a quality head coach at a real mid major, or a top quality AC from a big school, who doesn't suffer from Quinnitis. Damn if schools like Butler, VCU, George Mason can find good HC's so can we.

And if at the end of his deal we don't reach the top 40 level was this experiment a failure? Is SLU hoops destined to be stuck in hoops purgatory for ever?

it depends. if biondi continues to give the next coach regime the same perks and budget for his staff. there is no reason that it cannot continue to rise. however, if we immediately go on the cheap again, well you get what you pay for.

one more thing. hiring rickma will never be a failure simply because of the advances he forced slu to give his program to come here. if for no other reason that alone was worth bringing rick majerus to saint louis university.

one more thing. hiring rickma will never be a failure simply because of the advances he forced slu to give his program to come here. if for no other reason that alone was worth bringing rick majerus to saint louis university.

That might be the nicest thing you've ever said about Coach Majerus. Glad to see you're coming around :P

That might be the nicest thing you've ever said about Coach Majerus. Glad to see you're coming around :P

roy isn't contradicting himself in this thread. While roy has made it known he doesn't like RM's methods, I don't recall any posts where he's said having Rick on board wouldn't improve the program.

i've said that (and acknowledged he will win big while at slu) about rickma since day one. nothing has changed.

i've said that (and acknowledged he will win big while at slu) about rickma since day one. nothing has changed.

I think Biondi's got to make the same commit to whomever succeeds RM. To cover operating costs of the arena almost demands he does. You know this current recession might be the best thing to happen to SLU hoops.... not for donations of course, but if they start to win and generate some buzz.... it'll be one of the most economical sports entertainment tickets in St. Louis and played in a sparkling new arena.