OT: Another Club Football Team

Wright State, wrong college, as my XU friends like to say.

Seriously though, we need to get a team together at SLU - there are plenty of schools we could play now.

I doubt it will happen. Unless a football club would use absolutely none of the athletic department's facilities, SLU would have to add just as many female spots as are on the team. The rules are pretty strict. For example, if a kid would get hurt during a game, he wouldn't be able to use the athletic department's training room for treatment.

The rules for this are much more strict than I ever thought.

I doubt it will happen. Unless a football club would use absolutely none of the athletic department's facilities, SLU would have to add just as many female spots as are on the team. The rules are pretty strict. For example, if a kid would get hurt during a game, he wouldn't be able to use the athletic department's training room for treatment.

The rules for this are much more strict than I ever thought.

That's basically the point of having a club team. It would be like the club hockey team.

That's basically the point of having a club team. It would be like the club hockey team.

I'm not sure where the team would play games, practice, work out, have meetings, change clothes, shower, etc. They couldn't use anything that's used by the rest of the athletic department. There's not much room on campus, and I don't see the school ponying up to provide separate facilities.

I know very little about the club hockey team. Where do they play? Does anyone go to the games? If the soccer and basketball teams need to be on campus to get any sort of enthusiasm among students, I'm not sure how club sports playing away from campus benefit the school very much.

I'm not sure where the team would play games, practice, work out, have meetings, change clothes, shower, etc. They couldn't use anything that's used by the rest of the athletic department. There's not much room on campus, and I don't see the school ponying up to provide separate facilities.

I know very little about the club hockey team. Where do they play? Does anyone go to the games? If the soccer and basketball teams need to be on campus to get any sort of enthusiasm among students, I'm not sure how club sports playing away from campus benefit the school very much.

my son played on slu's club baseball team the last four years and for the most part, footes is correct as to help from slu. they did play one season on the slu baseball field as long as it did not interfere in the slu team in any way. so they just scheduled home games when the slu team was out of town. however as soon as hendrickson and may took over, club was not allowed on slu property for games or practices. and ended up playing all road games instead.

slu (or maybe a slu organization) did give them a little money one year, but for the most part the young men had to raise their own funds, find their own equipment, facilities etc. actually considering all, the club was to be commended for their accomplishments and they actually had a fairly nice team imo. probably about the level of good american legion ball with maybe a few of the position players good enough imo they could have played college.

They'd probably have to play at Forest Park, or maybe at Cardinal Ritter, just a couple of blocks north of campus (can't remember if they have turf or grass there).

I believe the hockey team plays at the Chesterfield ice center.

They'd probably have to play at Forest Park, or maybe at Cardinal Ritter, just a couple of blocks north of campus (can't remember if they have turf or grass there).

I believe the hockey team plays at the Chesterfield ice center.

I can't believe too many students make the trek to Chesterfield to watch club hockey.

If you go to Forest Park, there are no locker rooms, scoreboard, etc. Cardinal Ritter does have football, so you'd have to get them to agree to it and work around their schedule.

I'd love to see football AT SLU, not a few blocks or miles away.

I can't believe too many students make the trek to Chesterfield to watch club hockey.

If you go to Forest Park, there are no locker rooms, scoreboard, etc. Cardinal Ritter does have football, so you'd have to get them to agree to it and work around their schedule.

I'd love to see football AT SLU, not a few blocks or miles away.

Xavier's club football team plays at a number of sites within a few mile radius of campus. The club team there plays in the same conference as Marquette, Miami, and SIUE, which might be the conference that would make the most sense for SLU if a club football team started up.

http://www.xavier.edu/football/

Xavier's club football team plays at a number of sites within a few mile radius of campus. The club team there plays in the same conference as Marquette, Miami, and SIUE, which might be the conference that would make the most sense for SLU if a club football team started up.

http://www.xavier.edu/football/

When I was there, in the paleozoic age, the team played on the old soccer field off Lindell. My guess would be SLU wouldn't allow it these days for fear of being sued by someone hurt on the field. Yeah, they'd have to sign waivers and all, but that's not gonna stop a greedy ambulance chaser. It would cost them money just to make him go away.

XU has some decent size on their roster, for a club team.

As for the guy who is listed at 6-6, 475- that is not a typo. He's a mountain.

The defensive coordinator/linebackers coach is a buddy of mine. He says there is a pretty solid group of alums who have verbally committed some big money for Xavier to put a scholarship program together. The university has been dragging its feet so far about it, and I know they're in the middle of a massive capital campaign and campus expansion (the second phase of which is going to be delayed because of the economy), so it's not near the top of the priority list.

He says there is a pretty solid group of alums who have verbally committed some big money for Xavier to put a scholarship program together.

Football (athletic) scholarships? Or by "scholarship program" do you mean they want to be in Dayton's nonscholarship league?

A full compliment of scholarships for Xavier football would run over $2 Million per year, just for the tuition segment. The last reported football expenditures for Holy Cross (another Jesuit school for comparison) was $4.2 million. These alums are solid indeed if they can endow a program with that kind of appetite (assuming they aren't planning to raise $4M every year :rolleyes: ). With the A10 no longer sponsoring football, I'm not sure what conference a scholarship Xavier program would join.

Dayton's stadium rental costs may be the only reason they're over 1M/year in expenses. I imagine their tuition revenue makes football's subsidy worthwhile.

All other teams in Dayton's league play in their own facilities. They spend considerably less, and I would expect Xavier's costs to be reasonable if they joined. Hopefully, the fundraising is going toward a small stadium (I wonder how they use the land where Corcoran Stadium sat).

Football (athletic) scholarships? Or by "scholarship program" do you mean they want to be in Dayton's nonscholarship league?

A full compliment of scholarships for Xavier football would run over $2 Million per year, just for the tuition segment. The last reported football expenditures for Holy Cross (another Jesuit school for comparison) was $4.2 million. These alums are solid indeed if they can endow a program with that kind of appetite (assuming they aren't planning to raise $4M every year :blink: ). With the A10 no longer sponsoring football, I'm not sure what conference a scholarship Xavier program would join.

Dayton's stadium rental costs may be the only reason they're over 1M/year in expenses. I imagine their tuition revenue makes football's subsidy worthwhile.

All other teams in Dayton's league play in their own facilities. They spend considerably less, and I would expect Xavier's costs to be reasonable if they joined. Hopefully, the fundraising is going toward a small stadium (I wonder how they use the land where Corcoran Stadium sat).

The group of alums is said to have about $5 million rounded up for the cause. Granted, it only takes one big shot to have a rough past few months or bad 2009 forecast and this may have changed. But they seem to think they can get it off the ground. What they have in mind for division and how they plan to sustain it are two important questions, and you bring up a lot of issues they'd need to confront. He told me "scholarship program," which to me sounds like football scholarships.

Like I said, though, the university (and now even the AD, with their money sport's coaching staff turnover) have higher priorities right now, and I would bet any serious talks of getting this going will be shelved for at least a few more years. I wouldn't be totally shocked if the push gets stronger, though, as this area (and whole state) is football-crazed.

I didn't realize Dayton was renting Welcome Stadium- is it the same case with UD Arena, or do they own that? They both sit in the same set of parking lots.

The group of alums is said to have about $5 million rounded up for the cause. Granted, it only takes one big shot to have a rough past few months or bad 2009 forecast and this may have changed. But they seem to think they can get it off the ground. What they have in mind for division and how they plan to sustain it are two important questions, and you bring up a lot of issues they'd need to confront. He told me "scholarship program," which to me sounds like football scholarships.

Like I said, though, the university (and now even the AD, with their money sport's coaching staff turnover) have higher priorities right now, and I would bet any serious talks of getting this going will be shelved for at least a few more years. I wouldn't be totally shocked if the push gets stronger, though, as this area (and whole state) is football-crazed.

I didn't realize Dayton was renting Welcome Stadium- is it the same case with UD Arena, or do they own that? They both sit in the same set of parking lots.

I was under the impression that the city owned the football stadium, but don't know about UD Arena.

I was under the impression that the city owned the football stadium, but don't know about UD Arena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Dayton_Arena

Unless someone on Wikipedia is lying, UD owns and operates the arena. I also saw on Wikipedia that Welcome Stadium is owned by Dayton Public Schools, which makes sense since it hosts so many high school football playoff games, and apparently track, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_Stadium

$5 million would be a good start on a stadium construction fund. I could see X building something like Barker-Lane Stadium at Campbell.

http://www.campbell.edu/advancement/constr...ll-stadium.html

The AD at Loyola once told me that operating costs for a nonscholarship program were reasonable, but that facility construction and Title IX required significant investment.