OT-#1 Pitt getting beat on the road

DirtyRican

Speaking or rankings, there's some other team in the top 10 that's creating a buzz around town. Nah, just kidding, I'm not gonna go there. The billikens will have their time. I'm really excited about this class. This is the first class that Majerus had a full year to recruit. Most of the guys from class of 2008 signed in Fall 2007 with Majerus only having a few months o the job. It looks like Mitchell, Eckerle, and Saleich will be the only players under 6'4 on the team next year. Good size.

yeah, depaul made a mistake. They used to be a top 50 program that was sending guys to the NBA, the Quentin Richardson's, Paul McPherson, Steven Hunter, Andre Brown, Lance Simmons, etc. They would be #2 in conference USA year in and year out and going to the tournament right now and be sustaining that momentum. Sammy Mejia has had a brief stint in the NBA since that move and Wilson Chandler has been a steal for the Knicks.

Providence is playing for their NCAA tournament lives and they are an NCAA tournament caliber team. It's tough to win on the road in the Big East and it's tough to win in that league, period often times.

It's tough to win in any conference on the road. Every conference always seems to have two bottom feeder teams that good teams can take on the road (see DePaul and South Florida, or Fordham and GW, or Colorado and Iowa State) and every other game is a dogfight. When the headline is "Providence upsets Pitt", or "SLU upsets Dayton", well for anybody who knows basketball it's just not really an upset at all, just a toss up game. By the way, huge props to my Billikens.com brethren for always being able to link me up to a game broadcast on the road. I enjoyed the Dayton game on a laptop in beautiful Pagosa Springs, Colorado. I just wish I could have watched the game and soaked in the springs at the same time. All of you Colorado guys need to head south at least one time to ski at Wolf Creek, drink a few coldies and then hit the hot springs.

yeah, depaul made a mistake. They used to be a top 50 program that was sending guys to the NBA, the Quentin Richardson's, Paul McPherson, Steven Hunter, Andre Brown, Lance Simmons, etc. They would be #2 in conference USA year in and year out and going to the tournament right now and be sustaining that momentum. Sammy Mejia has had a brief stint in the NBA since that move and Wilson Chandler has been a steal for the Knicks.

DePaul didn't make a mistake joining the Big East. DePaul's mistake is not having a commitment to successful men's basketball program. DePaul still shares in the millions of dollars of revenue from being in the Big East conference. Every basketball game in conference play is televised via one of the ESPN networks or CBS.

but they arent successful. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond, a la Memphis, or Gonzaga, or Xavier than an afterthought nationally.

That is why you don't run a school or an athletic department. Money is the number one goal for your only revenue sport. Depaul can fund all the rest of its athletic department with the money it makes because its basketball team is playing in the Big East. Plus Depaul gets more attention for the university in the Big East than it would get in any other conference.

but they arent successful. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond, a la Memphis, or Gonzaga, or Xavier than an afterthought nationally.

DePaul isn't successful because they do not have a commitment to a successful men's basketball program. Playing in a less prestigious or lower profile conference won't make their program be any better nor appear any better.

In this case DePaul doesn't have to make a choice between the two choices you mentioned, either being a big fish in a small pond, or an afterthought Nationally. Had DePaul made a commitment to a successful men's basketball program, it could be playing more competitively in a bigger pond, and having increased revenues, increased exposure, etc...

Give me some Tyrone Corbin.