Mardi Gras and the Dayton game

I lived in Soulard last year for Mardi Gras, and I'll say this much: If the weather sucks, expect a good turnout. If the weather's nice? It's not easy to schedule anything for that night, especially if you go to soulard with a group. I don't doubt people will show up, and the folks that do will certainly be rowdy, but I don't think the student section is gonna be packed.

I've been wrong, before, though.

i don't think he has.

i graduated in 2006 so this is my perspective. while noone is going to confuse SLU for az state, an sec school, or wisconsin for parties, its pretty clear we hold our own. living 4 years on/right off campus (coronado), its out of control most friday and saturday nights. the only difference between us and a big state school is the whole greek row and house parties...we have to be bused off campus (huge pain in the @$$) but those frat parties are hardly anything to laugh at. apartment parties are OCC as well until they get busted up by some lame graduate student (see clock tower?). not to mention SLU has as many hot girls as any in the midwest. confirmed by multiple friends who have visited from u. of wisc, u of i, iu, bradley, ohio st.....

Not trying to get personal with you, some of the current students. Hopefully you truly enjoy your college years (and now I will sound really old) as they do go by very fast. Hopefully, for your sakes, SLU does have the hotest girls in the Midwest (they sure did not when I was walking the campus) and that Friday and Saturday nights are, in fact, "out of control." Now I could go on about how there was an entire bar district up and down Laclede (not just Humphreys), how students drank more in the day, how we'd close down Clarks and Humphries with teh 1 am liquor laws and head to the Landing and all the great things and war stories from my days, but instead, my post is referring to "the students" in general (not just you and your friends) and their obvious lack of interest in Billiken basketball.

Maybe things are so out of control on Friday nights (and in anticipation of another such night on Saturday), that few students bother to walk across campus to attend basketball games. Also, I am not comparing SLU only with "big state schools" but instead with other colleges (private and public, large and small, urban and rural) whose students get excited for, show-up for and create a hostile environment at basketball games. Not the case with SLU.

Are things better this year? Yes. Will things be better in the near future? I hope so. Will the students show up for the White Out game? I hope so, and by all accounts, sounds like maybe a repeat of Xavier last year!! Looking forward to it.

The point of my post? Please not ANOTHER excuse why students won't show up to big games. If students had been showing up in full force (like they purchased the tickets) all season and want to take off for Mardi Gras - this poster clearly understands. Instead, attendance has been hit or miss and now I detect whining about the timing of the game - messes up Mardi Gras plans. For goodness sake, games are only 2 hours, they're right on campus and some people actually have fun during these 2 hours. It's not as if someone is scheduling a 2 hour study hall in the middle of your Mardi Gras plans. Hey, if the students still cannot make it, then what's the excuse for the other games they also missed and how will the SLU-Dayton game be any different than the SLU-Duquesne game?

Not trying to get personal with you, some of the current students. Hopefully you truly enjoy your college years (and now I will sound really old) as they do go by very fast. Hopefully, for your sakes, SLU does have the hotest girls in the Midwest (they sure did not when I was walking the campus) and that Friday and Saturday nights are, in fact, "out of control." Now I could go on about how there was an entire bar district up and down Laclede (not just Humphreys), how students drank more in the day, how we'd close down Clarks and Humphries with teh 1 am liquor laws and head to the Landing and all the great things and war stories from my days, but instead, my post is referring to "the students" in general (not just you and your friends) and their obvious lack of interest in Billiken basketball.

Maybe things are so out of control on Friday nights (and in anticipation of another such night on Saturday), that few students bother to walk across campus to attend basketball games. Also, I am not comparing SLU only with "big state schools" but instead with other colleges (private and public, large and small, urban and rural) whose students get excited for, show-up for and create a hostile environment at basketball games. Not the case with SLU.

Are things better this year? Yes. Will things be better in the near future? I hope so. Will the students show up for the White Out game? I hope so, and by all accounts, sounds like maybe a repeat of Xavier last year!! Looking forward to it.

The point of my post? Please not ANOTHER excuse why students won't show up to big games. If students had been showing up in full force (like they purchased the tickets) all season and want to take off for Mardi Gras - this poster clearly understands. Instead, attendance has been hit or miss and now I detect whining about the timing of the game - messes up Mardi Gras plans. For goodness sake, games are only 2 hours, they're right on campus and some people actually have fun during these 2 hours. It's not as if someone is scheduling a 2 hour study hall in the middle of your Mardi Gras plans. Hey, if the students still cannot make it, then what's the excuse for the other games they also missed and how will the SLU-Dayton game be any different than the SLU-Duquesne game?

Sadly, I have already graduated (in 2006) and will no longer be able to enjoy life. That said, I think you and I are on the same page. There are no excuses for students not coming to the games, especially with the ease of stumbling down west pine to the arena. However, this Mardi Gras game is the one time, in my opinion, they actually have an excuse. Probably their one and only one. Personally, if I am in town (which is possible), I'd come to the game, but thats just me. I can understand why others would not want to leave the biggest party of the year in St. Louis...especially if the weather is half way decent. The turnout, as far as the rest of the non-student crowd is concerned, should be halfway decent.

The game is not just two hours. It will take at least half hour to an hour each way to get to and from mardi gras festivities. In reality, once you leave Mardi Gras at 6 to get to the game by 7, there's no way you are going back to soulard after the game is over...maybe down to the landing but that is neither here nor there. The fact is students have no excuse for missing games this year other then apathy. But you have to cut them slack on this game as this is really the one event that most students can't miss.

and SLU kids definitely know how to party

yeah, right. how many alcohol-related deaths have we had in the past five years? i wouldn't be surprised if it's zero. if you're not killing people with alcohol, you're not partying hard enough, at least at the collegiate level. and that's a FACT.

The Athletics dept. is giving away t-shirts again this year...you want students to come, give away more free stuff. Plenty of kids - hopefully drunk - will be in attendance! PS - Mardi Gras in st. louis sucks unless you have a place to go in Soulard. cell phones don't work, white trash all over the place, and no place to piss. Other than that it's awesome. rather be at the Billikens game!

yeah, right. how many alcohol-related deaths have we had in the past five years? i wouldn't be surprised if it's zero. if you're not killing people with alcohol, you're not partying hard enough, at least at the collegiate level. and that's a FACT.

i agree, but if we take a look at the number of hospital admittances per capita as result of alcohol consumption, i would venture to say we hold our own. obviously, we need to pick our game up to the level of death, but its always something we can strive for.

fact. we need more bars around slu. fact. i had a steady stream of co-eds flowing in and out of my bedroom resembling the audition line for "the girls next door." fact.

When I was in school, SLU was named one of the worst binge-drinking schools in the country (or something to that effect) by some study. We all celebrated by binge drinking our arses off.

i got intervened and i wasn't even an alcoholic. i just LOVED to binge drink. turns out i wasn't the only one.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29565

Just got an email from the Athletic Dept.

For the Blizzard and Blueout games, there will be free food before the game and all students not holding season tickets can buy one for only $5.

Should be plenty of people there... no excuses with all this stuff.

Just got an email from the Athletic Dept.

For the Blizzard and Blueout games, there will be free food before the game and all students not holding season tickets can buy one for only $5.

Should be plenty of people there... no excuses with all this stuff.

Well done athletic department. This is great. Wish I could be there.

There is really no excuse.