lisch and liddell

I think most of us believe these ARE 2 all time billikens but where most of the discussion comes from is their lack of stepping it up for their senior year--look at the recent past as Mo Jeffers-Marque Perry-Chris Sloan--Josh Fisher--Izik Ohanon all took their games up a notch their senior year and they were not surrounded by a ton of talent --Only Reggie Bryant had a dropoff his senior year and Ians was slight-----even Danny Brown showed some things at the end of last year that spoke of that extra senior spark so I believe most of the disappointment on this board comes from this lack of a senior upgrade by them both---do not forget that they both averaged 15 pts a game as sophmores which set up expectations they they have not met--who can forget Marque carrying the team on his back and I hoped for the same this year from Tommie and Kevin after a year of adjustment to a new coach

I think most of us believe these ARE 2 all time billikens but where most of the discussion comes from is their lack of stepping it up for their senior year--look at the recent past as Mo Jeffers-Marque Perry-Chris Sloan--Josh Fisher--Izik Ohanon all took their games up a notch their senior year and they were not surrounded by a ton of talent --Only Reggie Bryant had a dropoff his senior year and Ians was slight-----even Danny Brown showed some things at the end of last year that spoke of that extra senior spark so I believe most of the disappointment on this board comes from this lack of a senior upgrade by them both---do not forget that they both averaged 15 pts a game as sophmores which set up expectations they they have not met--who can forget Marque carrying the team on his back and I hoped for the same this year from Tommie and Kevin after a year of adjustment to a new coach

I didn't get to listen to the game tonight, but the box score says that Kevin and Tommie collectively were 5 for 5 from the arc, had 9 assists and 21 points while spending 10 to 15 minutes each on the bench. Kevin had three steals and a block. I'm not sure what "stepping up" you are looking for, but I for one am quite satisfied with those results.

Once again to put things into perspective .... one word, FORDHAM.

I would agree with you tdog that last night's game was "stepping up" in the case of both L boys. But that was an aberration for this season, not the rule. Now, as Majerus has said, maybe they've turned a corner. I just don't know. Fordham, by some accounts, is just as young this year as we are. And if that is the case, I'd take our future over theirs. All things are truly relative.

I too am with blue on the overall assessment, but have always tempered that with the fact that teams know we are a two-man team and, as a coach, I too would challenge someone else to beat me. Last night, Barry stepped up and was supported quite nicely by Willie. Kwamain is also coming along. And now folks are noticing a newly changed Kyle Cassity. Conklin appears able to do the yeoman's type work every team eventually needs, craves and cherishes. The naysayers will nay but I like where this appears, at this point in the season, to be going.

I think this was a fruitful road trip. The only thing that makes it better is Kwamain's shot finding the bottom of the net at Dayton. The enthusiasm and superlatives would be flowing quicker than blue Kool-aid. Those who can't see the positives are just blind and having another agenda.

I, for one, have loved what Tommie and Kevin have given to this program. Could they have done more? I'm not quite sure. They were never given enough of a supporting cast around them to make more than individual noise. By the time the cavalry arrived, the kids carrying the help banner were just too young. But I think in the long run, those kids will be better served having played with these two seniors than not. But the lack of a supporting cast is on the shoulders of someone long gone. It's immaterial.

I thought we'd be better this year because the college game is a guard's game and we had two good to great ones. I think where that theory fell apart was my lack of consideration in what kind of opposition would be thrown in their face night after night after night. To this point, I'd give the advantage to the defenses we've face in shutting down our two big guns, not so much in their lack of taking it to the next level. Sometimes, there is a peak, and the player is who he is. I've always seen Kevin as a catch-n-shoot kind of player. Tommie as more an individualist better suited to the one-on-one game that is the NBA. (I'm sying style, not that Tommie is destined for the NBA.) When some said Tommie was a point guard, I disagreed and still do to this day. Maybe if Tommie had four other viable options to pass off to, instead of one, then maybe. But again, the supporting talent was never brought in.

Many times you hear that you do the best you can with what's provided. I think both Kevin and Tommie did and are doing that. I think what we don't see is what influence their playing will these kids will have two or so years down the road. Even Barry. A kid is buried on the bench for two years and still magically appears last night to throw down 26! Talk about perseverance. Learn a little something from that.

With Reed building, Mitchell starting to hit shots, Cassity getting more tuned in, I'd like to see more in terms of development from Brett and Brian. Like I said, maybe Conklin is jsut a "mudder." I'll take that. I wonder if this is a Barry that we can count on, or if he'll even score 26 point THE REST OF THE YEAR. Not to knock Barry, I just don't know.

A season is always a work in progress. I like the progress right now.

Once again to put things into perspective .... one word, FORDHAM.

I would agree with you tdog that last night's game was "stepping up" in the case of both L boys. But that was an aberration for this season, not the rule. Now, as Majerus has said, maybe they've turned a corner. I just don't know. Fordham, by some accounts, is just as young this year as we are. And if that is the case, I'd take our future over theirs. All things are truly relative.

I too am with blue on the overall assessment, but have always tempered that with the fact that teams know we are a two-man team and, as a coach, I too would challenge someone else to beat me. Last night, Barry stepped up and was supported quite nicely by Willie. Kwamain is also coming along. And now folks are noticing a newly changed Kyle Cassity. Conklin appears able to do the yeoman's type work every team eventually needs, craves and cherishes. The naysayers will nay but I like where this appears, at this point in the season, to be going.

I think this was a fruitful road trip. The only thing that makes it better is Kwamain's shot finding the bottom of the net at Dayton. The enthusiasm and superlatives would be flowing quicker than blue Kool-aid. Those who can't see the positives are just blind and having another agenda.

I, for one, have loved what Tommie and Kevin have given to this program. Could they have done more? I'm not quite sure. They were never given enough of a supporting cast around them to make more than individual noise. By the time the cavalry arrived, the kids carrying the help banner were just too young. But I think in the long run, those kids will be better served having played with these two seniors than not. But the lack of a supporting cast is on the shoulders of someone long gone. It's immaterial.

I thought we'd be better this year because the college game is a guard's game and we had two good to great ones. I think where that theory fell apart was my lack of consideration in what kind of opposition would be thrown in their face night after night after night. To this point, I'd give the advantage to the defenses we've face in shutting down our two big guns, not so much in their lack of taking it to the next level. Sometimes, there is a peak, and the player is who he is. I've always seen Kevin as a catch-n-shoot kind of player. Tommie as more an individualist better suited to the one-on-one game that is the NBA. (I'm sying style, not that Tommie is destined for the NBA.) When some said Tommie was a point guard, I disagreed and still do to this day. Maybe if Tommie had four other viable options to pass off to, instead of one, then maybe. But again, the supporting talent was never brought in.

Many times you hear that you do the best you can with what's provided. I think both Kevin and Tommie did and are doing that. I think what we don't see is what influence their playing will these kids will have two or so years down the road. Even Barry. A kid is buried on the bench for two years and still magically appears last night to throw down 26! Talk about perseverance. Learn a little something from that.

With Reed building, Mitchell starting to hit shots, Cassity getting more tuned in, I'd like to see more in terms of development from Brett and Brian. Like I said, maybe Conklin is jsut a "mudder." I'll take that. I wonder if this is a Barry that we can count on, or if he'll even score 26 point THE REST OF THE YEAR. Not to knock Barry, I just don't know.

A season is always a work in progress. I like the progress right now.

One of your best posts since I have been reading this board. Thanks

One of your best posts since I have been reading this board. Thanks

I concur with drkelsey. The only thing I want to add is that they still have the opportunity to step it up. We have nine conference games left, five of them at home, and we're done with Xavier for the regular season. There's no reason we can't go on a run. Maybe if Tommie and Kevin don't feel like they have to do it all the game will come to them instead of them forcing the play, which is where I think a lot of their problems have stemmed. Let's beat Duquesne on Wednesday and go from there.

I concur with drkelsey. The only thing I want to add is that they still have the opportunity to step it up. We have nine conference games left, five of them at home, and we're done with Xavier for the regular season. There's no reason we can't go on a run. Maybe if Tommie and Kevin don't feel like they have to do it all the game will come to them instead of them forcing the play, which is where I think a lot of their problems have stemmed. Let's beat Duquesne on Wednesday and go from there.

i think kl and tl need to relax more and not put so much pressure on themselves. Let the freshmen step up a little along with Barry. i think the freshmen can do more than what we are asking at this point. as the freshmen step up, kl and tl's games get significantly better imo.