OT: Grinnell 163, Fontbonne 145

bonwich

That score was buried in the agate at the back of our sports section today. Grinnell hit 35 3s in the game.

Freaking amazing, even if it's NAIA or whatever these two are. Even more freaking amazing that I can only find one online reference to the game.

evidently one of our tv stations had a clip on tonight maybe they will repeat at nine or ten tonight

That score was buried in the agate at the back of our sports section today. Grinnell hit 35 3s in the game.

Freaking amazing, even if it's NAIA or whatever these two are. Even more freaking amazing that I can only find one online reference to the game.

I think they may be Division 17....

Channel 5 had a clip on the game last night. It looked like they were just running back and forth through up shots with NO defense. Not bad defense - NO defense. Probably would have been fun to watch.

Grinnell regularly has scores like this. A cousin played for the team in the late 90s. 6'7 220 lb PF recruited to D-1 schools he chose to play soccer at Grinnell and was a practice player for the basketball team. :angry: I saw them score 170 points once. I believe thy have scored over 200 in a game before.

I was there--and it was awesome to watch.

Grinnell had a minimum of 3 very, very good guards. One had 27ish at halftime, another had 21. At HALFtime.

The third is the coach's kid.

They routinely passed up on quasi 2on1s, 3on2's to kick out to a spot-up three.

I've been to many SLIAC D3 games and never has a crowd gotten into it like this (and it was a 5pm start for some reason).

It was 88 to 75ish at half, and Grinnell was 50% from 3.

A few years ago Grinnell had one of their games on one of the espn networks.

i believe they played Beloit college.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...view/index.html

This article is about the game you're referring to. What a blast this team is to watch, as they still have the same coach and same style. No defense whatsoever, shoot as soon as you're open, take as many 3s as you want- it's like a video game when they play, and they force teams to conform to their style. You can't pack it in on them.

Don't get me wrong--I'm certainly not saying they play 'great defense'...but the no defense thing is somewhat overstated bc there are SO many possessions per game when you play this team.

Also, while they did indeed give up many baseball passes for layups, they stole a ton of cross-court passes too.

Are they sound defensively? No. But they actually dictate defensively quite a bit, believe it or not...and caused many a Fontbonne turnover.