la tech to cusa

After TCU announced they would leave also,La Tech was my first thought,then maybe North Texas.I felt the league would still want football first.When speculation turned to Toledo or Miami(OH),I knew this was C-USA being C-USA.I think La Tech was a good choice.They are a decent football program.Geography wise La Tech was a slam dunk.

... in a town with a NASCAR track? I think that's high on the list for new C-WHO entries.

What a roster: Memphis, Birmingham, Hattiesburg, New Orleans, Houston (Houston and now Rice) and Greenville, NC adding the likes of Huntingdon, WV (Marshall), Tulsa, OK, and Ruston, LA. Can't count Dallas because it was a straight trade .... TCU for SMU. Dallas. Fort Worth. Whatever.

I can see the C-Who tourney in a few years sponsored by Pennzoil or Quaker's State. NASCAR at its finest.

god i am glad to be out of that mess. as much as i hate mike slive, i think this new commish is even further out there. how anyone can let a very good conference disentergrate as cusa has is beyond me. if memphis and uab were to leave, the conference would definitely become a one bid conference even beneath the horizon and the mvc imo.

sorry d-1, didnt mean to rip your alma mater. of course that would be a step up for latech. my point was only how far the conference did indeed fall over the conference jumps. the commish made little if any attempt to hold anyone back. it is almost as though he wanted his little southwest football conference thing.

Of course, this have gotta be about money. Is anyone aware what the avg. yearly comparative league revenues are for football vs. basketball in any given conference? For example, how much more $ would the heavier fooball CUSA take in vs. a heavier basketball A-10?

It is my understanding that SLU recieves no shares of any football revenue (not the C-USA would have much to spare). So, the relevant comparison would be basketball revenue between A-10 and C-USA in the future. I cannot imagine that future C-USA will get much from ESPN and regionaly cable so the A-10 will fare a little better on that score (although A-10 has a worse ESPN deal than the current C-USA).

Then it all rides on Big Dance shares and those are determined by future play. I think future C-USA will be a 10th/11th ranked conference and the A10 will be a little ahead. Hopefully some good years are coming (it would be nice for Temple to get back on track).

.... Mr. Former. I did not intend to diss your alma mater ... there is really no place for that. All I was saying is that this conference went from some pretty good metro outlets (St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Louisville, Milwaukee, Tampa) to some rather questionable substitutes. I would expect that those demographics and numbers will paly substantially into any deal the new C-WHO is going to get from ESPN and the like.

I saw over on a Memphis board that they folks there are excited over the prospect of the BCS adding a fifth BCS bowl and their talk is all over the Liberty Bowl being that fifth bowl. No offense but are you serious? I don't think of the Liberty Bowl in the same breath as a stadium and a venue that the Rose, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar Bowls are. I don't think of Memphis in the same breath as I do with Pasadena, Phoenix, Miami and New Orleans ... especially at that time of year. And if these guys are thinking the C-WHO gets to go along with the BCS because of its inclusion .. I don't think so.

About the only thing they must be thinking is that the city of Memphis will get to see real Divison I football at least once a year. That's about all I see ....