Hughes flashback

I was flipping through some old Hughes articles in the Post Dispatch archives when I ran across this gem. I didn't know that Watson and Young were SLU leans at one time!

------------------------------

May 20, 1996

EAGLES LOSE IN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Author: By Kevin E. Boone

Of The Post-Dispatch Staff

"Complementing the impressive duo of Rush and Young was CMH guard Earl Watson. He put on a passing clinic, and finished with 14 points to go with a bundle of assists.

The 6-foot Watson said he was leaning toward St. Louis University, although he's also being recruited by several other NCAA Division I schools, including Iowa, Nebraska and Stanford.

Last season, Watson averaged 23 points, 10.3 rebounds, 3.4 steals and 4.3 assists for Washington High of Kansas City, Kan. He created a host of opportunities for Rush and Young with steals and pinpoint passes.

By late in third quarter, CMH had opened a 56-38 lead.

Young added: SLU is "my top choice right now. If Larry Hughes goes there, it's 100 percent I'll be going there." Hughes, a 6-5 guard who will play in the Nike High School All-American Camp in July, also is being recruited by the Billikens."

my memory was that young went straight to the nba and bombed and watson ended up a package deal with jaron rush to ucla. spoon countering anything recruitingwise is a joke right? what success the billikens had that year recruiting was a total result of hughes own recruiting efforts.

Is Young Korleone Young? I don't think he even played in college at least not at D-1. I thought he went straight to the league, bombed out and is languising in the CBA. There were abunch of guys who wanted to play with Larry. LaMar Odom said he was a lock to play for SLU with larry as well. Most of these guys who jumped on the Larry abdnwagon had no chacne of ever qualifying at SLU even if they did want to play here.