Bryant Allen

Box and Won

Here's another story from the Scout.com network:

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/819775.html

It should be a free story. If not, I'm sorry.

Another good SLU backdrop in in a photo from today's news.

Will Allen take a basketball scholarship and walk on for football, or a football scholarship and walk on for basketball? Or does this just depend on what the coaches decide to do at the school he chooses?

Guest BillikenReport

Thanks Nate. What kind of basketball recruit would Allen be if that was the only sport he played?

I really like Allen as a basketball prospect.

Basically, Allen was getting lower-level scholarship offers for basketball and higher-level offers for football.

SLU offered. Southern Illinois offered. There were some other schools, like Iowa that might have offered for basketball.

For football, he had offers from Missouri, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, etc.

But Allen seems to be doing the smart thing for now, going somewhere he can do both. I don't know if that will last, but after his freshman year of trying to do both he'll have a pretty good idea of which sport he can succeed in.

I think Allen could have been a nice basketball player at SLU or Southern Illinois or even Missouri, because of Anderson's system.

I really like Allen as a basketball prospect.

Basically, Allen was getting lower-level scholarship offers for basketball and higher-level offers for football.

SLU offered. Southern Illinois offered. There were some other schools, like Iowa that might have offered for basketball.

For football, he had offers from Missouri, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, etc.

But Allen seems to be doing the smart thing for now, going somewhere he can do both. I don't know if that will last, but after his freshman year of trying to do both he'll have a pretty good idea of which sport he can succeed in.

I think Allen could have been a nice basketball player at SLU or Southern Illinois or even Missouri, because of Anderson's system.

-if the kid is a legit 6'1" and he wants to get paid to play and has the football interest from the shcools listed, football would seem the route to take

-i would bet there is a greater % of players in the nfl 6'1 and under than in the nba (the numbers are a no brainer)

-nfl defensive backs can make a lot of $$$

-heck, there is a chance he could make the rams today!!!!

-as to the gateway tech kid, go take a visit to usc and frolic with the song girls if for no other reason you may never have the chance again!! but go to mizzou

Guest BillikenReport

-if the kid is a legit 6'1" and he wants to get paid to play and has the football interest from the shcools listed, football would seem the route to take

-i would bet there is a greater % of players in the nfl 6'1 and under than in the nba (the numbers are a no brainer)

-nfl defensive backs can make a lot of $$$

-heck, there is a chance he could make the rams today!!!!

-as to the gateway tech kid, go take a visit to usc and frolic with the song girls if for no other reason you may never have the chance again!! but go to mizzou

He's not 6-1. He might be 6-foot.

He is being recruited more as a wide receiver who will also return kicks and punts.

I think your second point is probably one of the factors for Allen choosing football over basketball.

• 5 weeks later...

What ever happened to your idol Anthony James? I'm hearing that he will be at Harris Stowe State University next year. There are reports that their coach will be fired after this season and a very familiar name to high school basketball in St.Louis will be brought in.

Bryant Allen highlights from a recent tourney

Will Allen take a basketball scholarship and walk on for football, or a football scholarship and walk on for basketball? Or does this just depend on what the coaches decide to do at the school he chooses?

He would have to take a football scholarship to play both as a freshman. A scholarship student-athlete must participate in the sport in which they receive a scholarship before they can participate in another sport. This rule was put in place after many schools, especially SEC, were giving Track and Field scholarships to football prospects to get around the (then) newly instituted 85 scholarship limit in football.

Besides, a football scholarship would make more sense considered the greater number available - 85 v. 13. Michigan State has had a couple of football/hoops student-athletes in the past few years, all of whom were on scholarship for football.