Tip off to start the game

GOSLU68

Is there a real advantage to getting the first half tip?

Does anyone have stats that show the team getting the tip first half wins more than 50 per cent of the time?

Or does whoever has the edge the second half win more than 50 per cent of the time?????

Does RM want to win the tip first half or get the ball to start second half?

Does anyone have stats that show the team getting the tip first half wins more than 50 per cent of the time?

Or does whoever has the edge the second half win more than 50 per cent of the time?????

I doubt anyone can find any official stats on that one, but its certainly true all other things being equal, a team that has a quick center that can direct the tip wherever he wants it to go is more likely to win then a team with a short center that can't jump.

Winning a tip does ensure that you will have as many or more possesions as your opponent. Yes, the opponent will start the 2nd half with the ball but you'll effectively get the first possesion on a loose ball tie-up (i.e. jump ball) thereafter. On average, half the games you'll end up with the same number of possessions as your opponent and half the games you'll end up with one more possesion. If you figure that a possession is typically worth 1 point then you could argue winning the tip is worth a full point . (on averge half a possession times one point per possession times the difference between you having the advantage and your opponent having the advantage).

Put another way, winning the tip every game vs. losing it every game is equivalent to reducing your turnovers by 1 every game. I don't know a coach in America that doesn't want to do that.

Possession to start the second half is determined by the alternating jump ball, not who lost the opening tip.

Possession to start the second half is determined by the alternating jump ball, not who lost the opening tip.

thanks, I obviously did not know that. I guess I have never understood how the first jump ball was awarded, either so I got two good replies.

So I guess I would like to see Willy Reed jump ball ast BT isn't doing well there and Willie could come out

at the very first opportunity as BT can play the other requirements at the 5 better in my opinion. Boy it is sure a great thing we have a coaching staff that can recruit 4's and 5's and also coach them up. I was really tired of the short guard approach to basketball and prefer to see a 1,2,3,4,5 on the floor

doesn't the ball go to whoever has the possesion arrow in their favor to begin the second half, not who lost the opening tip?

Yes, so a jump ball could change who gets it to start the second half. Still, whoever wins the tip has the potential benefit of one extra possession in the game, as Soderberg used to emphasize with his OER and DER calculations.