Obvious Numbers w/Charlotte

Taj79

Didn't see the game and am reduced to reading here and the boxscore. What jumps out at me from the box is two halved items ... Charlotte shot 32 free trhrows to our 16 (halve) and Charlotte committed 12 fouls to our 24 (halved). Okay, okay, so maybe that's not talent as some would argue but I noticed Rick talking about not only a lack of talent but also a lack of depth and size. Lots of deficiencies on that bench.

Oh well, it was on the road and it was us. I had hoped but I guess it was against hope. Xavier at Dayton tonday at 2 EST on CSTV. I guess its go X.

Didn't see the game and am reduced to reading here and the boxscore. What jumps out at me from the box is two halved items ... Charlotte shot 32 free trhrows to our 16 (halve) and Charlotte committed 12 fouls to our 24 (halved). Okay, okay, so maybe that's not talent as some would argue but I noticed Rick talking about not only a lack of talent but also a lack of depth and size. Lots of deficiencies on that bench.

Oh well, it was on the road and it was us. I had hoped but I guess it was against hope. Xavier at Dayton tonday at 2 EST on CSTV. I guess its go X.

\

The difference in athleticism was stark, especially when the "officials" used and called two wholly different games on each end of the court.

This isn't sour grapes, because this opinion is shared by others in this household- the officiating was horrendous. Once again the A-10 "officials" lived up to their reputation. Wouldn't it be nice to sometime, anytime, go on the road and get an evenly officiated game?

Agree that we root for Xavier today. This conference race is so bizarre. NCAA hopeful Dayton is in danger of not making the A-10 Tournament. The A-10 conference games stand the RPI on its head.

I don't know BAB ---- watching some of that "stuff" going on in the Memphis/Tennessee game --- I guess if you really want to call it as it should be, then everyone would be gone. Five fouls and out in about a quarter or so it seems sometimes.

Speaking of the Memphis game, the only thing I agreed with Dickie V on was when at the end, Prince was going to the line. Dorsey, who will prosper at the next level where NBA and WWF collide, walks from the low block rebounding position and starts attempting to jaw with Prince. Prince walked away. He came back, made the first and here comes Dorsey again. Somewhere in there Dickie mumbles "Mr. Dorsey better back off and just learn to play." I mean, trash talking is bad enough but when the refs let this stuff happen its ridiculous. They should slap the first tech early on and make sure everybody knows that crap has to be canned.

Tennessee #1 ----- and here comes a road game at Vandy Tuesday night. I expect the Vols stay at the top to be short-lived.

There was some more talk last night from the surgically repaired windpipe that is Vitale. He was talking about how KENTUCKY is IN the dance. Kentucky?!?!!? I think that kind of talk is what dominates those backrooms in early March and is another example of why leagues like the A10 DON'T get four-five-six teams in. Maryland went down for the second game in a row last night at Miami and the headline here reads "NCCA Bid Falling Fast." Wake beat Duke. Miami beat Duke. Clemson, Duke and UNC are locks. If you count a medicore Maryland team, that's six ACC teams posturing right now.

Yeah --- Dayton, UMass and Charlotte all have chances my arse. Rhodey, St. Joes and Temple are sweating bullets without winning in AC. The first three have no chance. And we are meat without the tourney as well.

Somewhere in there Dickie mumbles "Mr. Dorsey better back off and just learn to play." I mean, trash talking is bad enough but when the refs let this stuff happen its ridiculous. They should slap the first tech early on and make sure everybody knows that crap has to be canned.

I caught the end of that game and watched that episode. The officials were very aware of what Dorsey was doing and took no corrective action. At least some kind of warning would have sufficed. The only thing one of the officials did was to come between Dorsey and Prince prior to the 2nd shot. You don't want officials deciding the outcome of games but what Dorsey was trying to do was physically intimidate Prince. That's a long way from gamesmanship

am i the only one that thinks joey dorsey is playing the wrong sport? that guy has monster defensive line rush man written all over him.

I posted in the game thread at halftime of last night's game about 2 bad calls in the first half- one the push and hook of Danny Brown on a missed Charlotte FT, that literally pushed Brown out of the way, then Brown was called for a foul on the ensuing putback after the "offensive rebound"/non-foul that gave Charlotte a 3 point play, the other the ridiculous "traveling" called on Eberhardt.

It didn't get any better in the second half. Luke Meyer was literally bodied out of the way in the act of shooting a bunny, and you guessed it- no call, no foul was called. I can see letting stuff go away from the basket, but when a 6'7" guy just bodies a player in the act of shooting right next to the basket, something is clearly amiss. Even in the NBA that one would have been called a foul.

I'm not sure when it happened, but there is a post that Lisch had his legs taken out in the act of shooting.

Then add to that the 2 offensive fouls called on SLU for illegal screens, both well away from the basket. IMO, if the zebras are going to let everything go, that would have been a good place to start.

Then there was the resetting of the shot clock that resulted in a Charlotte thunderous and demoralizing dunk. That one is being discussed on the Charlotte board. Bobby Lutz, never a favorite in this house, claimed that a Charlotte shot hit the bottom of the rim. Charlotte posters at the scene said that Coach Majerus had shall I say a response for the official timer.

There was more. The problem was that SLU was called for fouls, with the same things not called at the other end on Charlotte.

Whatever, I didn't expect to win this one anyway.

I posted in the game thread at halftime of last night's game about 2 bad calls in the first half- one the push and hook of Danny Brown on a missed Charlotte FT, that literally pushed Brown out of the way, then Brown was called for a foul on the ensuing putback after the "offensive rebound"/non-foul that gave Charlotte a 3 point play, the other the ridiculous "traveling" called on Eberhardt.

It didn't get any better in the second half. Luke Meyer was literally bodied out of the way in the act of shooting a bunny, and you guessed it- no call, no foul was called. I can see letting stuff go away from the basket, but when a 6'7" guy just bodies a player in the act of shooting right next to the basket, something is clearly amiss. Even in the NBA that one would have been called a foul.

I'm not sure when it happened, but there is a post that Lisch had his legs taken out in the act of shooting.

Then add to that the 2 offensive fouls called on SLU for illegal screens, both well away from the basket. IMO, if the zebras are going to let everything go, that would have been a good place to start.

Then there was the resetting of the shot clock that resulted in a Charlotte thunderous and demoralizing dunk. That one is being discussed on the Charlotte board. Bobby Lutz, never a favorite in this house, claimed that a Charlotte shot hit the bottom of the rim. Charlotte posters at the scene said that Coach Majerus had shall I say a response for the official timer.

There was more. The problem was that SLU was called for fouls, with the same things not called at the other end on Charlotte.

Whatever, I didn't expect to win this one anyway.

I've seen some poor reffing in many of the conferences, and realize that these guys are human and make mistakes. But the A-10 referees seem to be at the very bottom of the heap in terms of lack of consistency of their calls, for example, blocking and charging calls. I feel reasonably confident that I could do better with the charging vs blocking calls than what I've seen in the A-10, and not just our road games but at Savvis as well. Perhaps we haven't lost a game as a result of this "borderline competence" in the officiating (I'm being kind), but I'd really like to see more consistency,even if it's not according to the book, at least the players would know what to expect. There seems to be no standards which they follow.

I've seen some poor reffing in many of the conferences, and realize that these guys are human and make mistakes. But the A-10 referees seem to be at the very bottom of the heap in terms of lack of consistency of their calls, for example, blocking and charging calls. I feel reasonably confident that I could do better with the charging vs blocking calls than what I've seen in the A-10, and not just our road games but at Savvis as well. Perhaps we haven't lost a game as a result of this "borderline competence" in the officiating (I'm being kind), but I'd really like to see more consistency,even if it's not according to the book, at least the players would know what to expect. There seems to be no standards which they follow.

A-10 refs give us shaft because we are pretty much outsiders... west of the Mississippi!

They do not want us to be successfull too soon in their world.

Did you ever take a St. Louis team (high school, Legion, etc) and play a game in very-southeast Missouri somewhere? How did the refs / umps treat you?

A-10 refs give us shaft because we are pretty much outsiders... west of the Mississippi!

They do not want us to be successfull too soon in their world.

Did you ever take a St. Louis team (high school, Legion, etc) and play a game in very-southeast Missouri somewhere? How did the refs / umps treat you?

Agreed re how the A-10 refs view SLU. But they should view Charlotte the same way, if not more so. Charlotte is talking about adding football, and there is a feeling that if that happens, Charlotte would leave the A-10.