Belated Best Wishes The Rest of the Way

xudash

Folks,

I know it was a tough loss for you and I'm not here to gloat.

On the contrary, last night provided potent, clear evidence that our respective programs are headed for full boat rivalry status. Who knows what may happen with the A10 or with conference realignment should it trigger again, but it seems to me that the stars are clearly aligned for us to have a beautiful despise-hate relationship with each other. It will be similar to Xavier v. UC, except you guys have teeth and substantial cerebral firepower, which is nice. Perhaps it will involve a love-hate relationship along the lines of Xavier v. UD, except you guys have better hygiene to go along with your teeth and cerebral fire power.

In all seriousness, it will become Xavier v. St. Louis: Jesuits v. Jesuits. Excellent schools with the ability to commit to top-shelf programs. It will become its own thing. Each and every game will be an experience each time we tee it up. You have certainly gotten even with us as of late since joining the conference. We owed you this one (yes, I discount what happened in the MCC days; too long ago).

Beyond this rivalry in the making stands the reality that SLU, by any measure, is poised to break back onto the national scene in a major way.

Personally, I look forward to admiring and hating you. SLU is a breath of fresh air after having had to suffer through an association teams like LossSalle for this long.

As I noted above, good luck the rest of the way, unless we run into you again. Lisch. Geezus!

Folks,

I know it was a tough loss for you and I'm not here to gloat.

On the contrary, last night provided potent, clear evidence that our respective programs are headed for full boat rivalry status. Who knows what may happen with the A10 or with conference realignment should it trigger again, but it seems to me that the stars are clearly aligned for us to have a beautiful despise-hate relationship with each other. It will be similar to Xavier v. UC, except you guys have teeth and substantial cerebral firepower, which is nice. Perhaps it will involve a love-hate relationship along the lines of Xavier v. UD, except you guys have better hygiene to go along with your teeth and cerebral fire power.

In all seriousness, it will become Xavier v. St. Louis: Jesuits v. Jesuits. Excellent schools with the ability to commit to top-shelf programs. It will become its own thing. Each and every game will be an experience each time we tee it up. You have certainly gotten even with us as of late since joining the conference. We owed you this one (yes, I discount what happened in the MCC days; too long ago).

Beyond this rivalry in the making stands the reality that SLU, by any measure, is poised to break back onto the national scene in a major way.

Personally, I look forward to admiring and hating you. SLU is a breath of fresh air after having had to suffer through an association teams like LossSalle for this long.

As I noted above, good luck the rest of the way, unless we run into you again. Lisch. Geezus!

Thanks. THe X-SLU series is a great one

Sadley, I believe there is too much mutual respect to allow the outright hatred needed for a true gut-busting rivalry. We could all hate UC under Thuggins for example. A great game always.......

I love that you want to hate us!!! More antics from Burrell type players and we will surely return the sentiment. Nevertheless you have the best team in the A10 that we have seen. Next year with more talent hopefully we will play twice not just once.

I love that you want to hate us!!! More antics from Burrell type players and we will surely return the sentiment. Nevertheless you have the best team in the A10 that we have seen. Next year with more talent hopefully we will play twice not just once.

Bill......I was speaking to the XU folks. I'm still a Billiken Fan.

It's just unfortunate that we don't get a chance for retribution in Cincy this year, thanks to brilliant scheduling on the part of the A-10. It's also unfortunate that these two programs went so long without playing each other after SLU left the MCC - who knows what kind of rivalry we'd have by now, although Burrell and Mario have been doing their part to help heat things up a little.

I will say that feelings of hatred toward Byron Larkin still fester in my heart. Well, at least college-age Byron Larkin - I'm sure he's a fine gentleman now. It pains me that we were never able to get past X back in the late 80s/early 90s and make it to the Big Dance.

It's funny that you mention the XU-UD rivalry. Most X fans I talk to say that the hatred is much stronger on the side of the sweater vest-wearers, almost like they have a "little brother" complex.

It's just unfortunate that we don't get a chance for retribution in Cincy this year, thanks to brilliant scheduling on the part of the A-10. It's also unfortunate that these two programs went so long without playing each other after SLU left the MCC - who knows what kind of rivalry we'd have by now, although Burrell and Mario have been doing their part to help heat things up a little.

I will say that feelings of hatred toward Byron Larkin still fester in my heart. Well, at least college-age Byron Larkin - I'm sure he's a fine gentleman now. It pains me that we were never able to get past X back in the late 80s/early 90s and make it to the Big Dance.

It's funny that you mention the XU-UD rivalry. Most X fans I talk to say that the hatred is much stronger on the side of the sweater vest-wearers, almost like they have a "little brother" complex.

In actuality, I feel more like Billiken Rich about our ongoing relationship: more about mutual respect than one poisoned by jealousy or complete lack of similarity/common interest (i.e. UC). I was trying to inject a little humor into the post.

I always try to give credit where credit is due. I regard UD as a rival. However, I do believe it probably is a little more intense on UD's side. UD hasn't beaten X in Cincinnati since the Carter administration (1981). As you guys know, UD enjoyed a long facilities advantage when UD Arena went up about the same year that Laugh-In originally aired. It had to kill them when the Cintas Center came on line. Your new place will remind them yet again that the UD Arena is long in the tooth and another major Catholic program has positioned itself for the national stage. Combine all that with our resume versus their resume for the last two decades and you get the picture. Nonetheless, UD is an excellent school with a basketball program that has a proud history.

If the glass is half full, the A(n) could be headed for good times. Along with other games like UMass/Temple, Temple/St. Joe's, etc., the Catholic rivalry games involving X/SLU, SLU/UD, X/UD and X/St. Joe's could increase the curb appeal of the league.

It's up to us to make the most of what we have right now. The league is headed for a new commissioner. Your inclusion and the inclusion of Charlotte tipped the balance of power to those programs in the league who care and who have made the investment. It should only get better from here, especially now that the league is improving its ability to bounce back.

Who knows what happens from there, except that Xavier and SLU will have made the necessary investments to protect and strengthen their respective programs.