If only...

philliken

So before the last posession in overtime, I was thinking to myself how great it would be to witness a win at the buzzer. That got me thinking of the GREAT Billiken victories since I've been a fan. I'm not necessarily talking about great performances, good shooting nights, but good endings. I think the Louisville victory a few years back will be the most commonly thought of, but what other great endings were there (another mention could be the SIU game recently posted on youtube).

For me it has to be a game against DePaul in Chicago at the Rosemont. I was home on break (5 or 6 years ago I want to say). We were trailing by 1 with the ball and about 4 seconds left. Josh bounced the inbound, and DePaul let it bounce all the way to midcourt where Marque picked it up and floated the game winner at the buzzer. That was a great game for me personally to be on the road and see a great game like that.

Anybody else remember that game?...or have any other good finishes?

So before the last posession in overtime, I was thinking to myself how great it would be to witness a win at the buzzer. That got me thinking of the GREAT Billiken victories since I've been a fan. I'm not necessarily talking about great performances, good shooting nights, but good endings. I think the Louisville victory a few years back will be the most commonly thought of, but what other great endings were there (another mention could be the SIU game recently posted on youtube).

For me it has to be a game against DePaul in Chicago at the Rosemont. I was home on break (5 or 6 years ago I want to say). We were trailing by 1 with the ball and about 4 seconds left. Josh bounced the inbound, and DePaul let it bounce all the way to midcourt where Marque picked it up and floated the game winner at the buzzer. That was a great game for me personally to be on the road and see a great game like that.

Anybody else remember that game?...or have any other good finishes?

Just to clarify, Marquee didn't shoot the ball from midcourt. He drove to about the free throw line. My post was not very specific on that - made it sound like he hit a hail mary.

Just to clarify, Marquee didn't shoot the ball from midcourt. He drove to about the free throw line. My post was not very specific on that - made it sound like he hit a hail mary.

we were in Chicago for the DePaul game and it gave me great hope for what never hapened with JJ

He was the demon devil and probably should have signed with them instead of us because he never

ever played like that again

That DePaul game was awesome. Marque was such an exciting player, and IIRC, we had a few games like that one that season. I think we beat Dayton on the road at the buzzer that year too. Marque would have had the game-winner against Mizzou at the Scottrade had Chia-Head not made one of the most improbable three-pointers in history.

That DePaul game was awesome. Marque was such an exciting player, and IIRC, we had a few games like that one that season. I think we beat Dayton on the road at the buzzer that year too. Marque would have had the game-winner against Mizzou at the Scottrade had Chia-Head not made one of the most improbable three-pointers in history.

You remember absolutely correct. I think we had 3 games that season that we won on the final possession. I still can't get over that shot from Mizzou though. I almost forgot that was the same season.

Box, you struck my curiousity about that season, so I went to the archives - highlighted games from that year.

2002-2003 Season

Mar 1 Marquee hits a 3 to tie in regulation. 2 FTs to tie in the 1st OT. SLU 76- Tulane 74 (2OT)

Feb 22 was the aforementioned DePaul game SLU 62-Dep 61

Feb 18 SLU ends a losing streak AT Cincy SLU 58 - Cin 55

Feb 12 was the epic battle home against #2 Louisville SLU 59 - Lou 58

Jan 25 Marquee scores 6 in the last minute and change SLU 69 - Mem 66

Aside from those W's, we had close losses too.

Then SMS wins in OT 72-64

A ranked Marquette team beat us both games each by 4 points.

The devastator was in the CUSA tourny semifinals, losing to UAB by 2.

The next season was the 1pt drop to #2 Arizona. If only Marquee's toe was 1 more inch backwards, its a 3ball and a tie game.

The next season was the 1pt drop to #2 Arizona. If only Marquee's toe was 1 more inch backwards, its a 3ball and a tie game.

It was Reggie Bryant's toe. Marque graduated the previous season.

Oh, and on the earlier comment about Marque's shot against Mizzou; Marque hit a three pointer with a couple seconds left to TIE the game. Stokes, aka Chia Pet, hit the jumper from inside the arc to win it for Mizzou.

It was Reggie Bryant's toe. Marque graduated the previous season.

Oh, and on the earlier comment about Marque's shot against Mizzou; Marque hit a three pointer with a couple seconds left to TIE the game. Stokes, aka Chia Pet, hit the jumper from inside the arc to win it for Mizzou.

Good call on Bryant. Wasn't that the day before SLU soccer lost in the quarterfinals on a snowy field at Maryland?

Box, you struck my curiousity about that season, so I went to the archives - highlighted games from that year.

2002-2003 Season

Mar 1 Marquee hits a 3 to tie in regulation. 2 FTs to tie in the 1st OT. SLU 76- Tulane 74 (2OT)

Feb 22 was the aforementioned DePaul game SLU 62-Dep 61

Feb 18 SLU ends a losing streak AT Cincy SLU 58 - Cin 55

Feb 12 was the epic battle home against #2 Louisville SLU 59 - Lou 58

Jan 25 Marquee scores 6 in the last minute and change SLU 69 - Mem 66

Aside from those W's, we had close losses too.

Then SMS wins in OT 72-64

A ranked Marquette team beat us both games each by 4 points.

The devastator was in the CUSA tourny semifinals, losing to UAB by 2.

That was such a fun season. We were so close to the big dance that year. The UAB game halted our miracle run in the conference tourney - I totally thought we were going to pull off another Miracle in Memphis that year.

That was such a fun season. We were so close to the big dance that year. The UAB game halted our miracle run in the conference tourney - I totally thought we were going to pull off another Miracle in Memphis that year.

So did I. There was like 8 of us who are SLU alumns who road-tripped it to Louisville that year to see the tourny. We were about 2 rows off courtside at Freedom Hall. HEARTBROKEN. That was one of the best and worst game experiences as a fan.