McCluer North in the Bass Pro Shops Tournament of Champions

brianstl

Tomorrow night they will be playing Christ the King from the Middle Village, New York. They have a kid headed to Florida and one to George Mason. It should be a good night to get a feel on how Femi stacks up against a couple other D-1 guards. If we have any members in Springfield, MO a report would be greatly appreciated.

Someone posted on the SIU board that Erving Walker, the Florida recruit, was way too much for North's point guard to handle....I can't think of his name right now.

Bobby Peebles is his name. I believe the big three for McCluer North scored 57 of their 64. It looks like the fact that they got no other production killed them.

Guest BillikenReport

Bobby Peebles is his name.

Or LeAndre Johnson. He is more of a PG than Peebles is and he's the smallest guard they have.

McCluer North's lineup basically has four guards and a post player (Anthony Booker).

- Nate

McCluer North loses again. Femi goes for 33.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...LOGS04/80119010

Monsignor Pace (Fla.) 74, McCluer North 68

Ray Shipman made sure Pace didn't play for seventh.

The Florida recruit finished with 30 points, including 14 in the third quarter and Terrence Saintil had nine points, 11 rebounds and five blocks to advance the Spartans to Sunday's fifth-place game.

Femi John led McCluer North (12-3) with 33 points, but the Stars shot only 38 percent (24-for-63) from the field.

Pace will play the winner of the Helen Cox (La.)-Champaign (Ill.) Central game, which is about to tip.

Guest BillikenReport

Nate, nice recap from Bossi on your site.

Thanks.

That event had a lot of talented kids.

Would be great to see a big-name sponsor step up to bring something like that to St. Louis, maybe even the Chaifetz, in the future.

- Nate

Nate, nice recap from Bossi on your site.

You liked that recap? He said that Femi John's defense had never been questioned in the past, but his jumper had been questioned in the past. By who? His jumpshot has always been the strength of his game? He called his jumper a work in progress! Maybe he was confusing him Torres who is known as a defensive stud, but not a shooter.

You liked that recap? He said that Femi John's defense had never been questioned in the past, but his jumper had been questioned in the past. By who? His jumpshot has always been the strength of his game? He called his jumper a work in progress! Maybe he was confusing him Torres who is known as a defensive stud, but not a shooter.

I am not even going to argue with you about this. Femi's shot was discussed enough on here last year.

Guest BillikenReport

Femi averaged 25 points per game against three very good teams with some talented players.

I saw Champaign Central beat Washington at the Highland Shootout. I told people there that I thought CC could compete with McCluer North for the Missouri state championship. I don't know how healthy Verdell Jones was on Sunday, but he can play and they have a nice balanced group of players around him.

- Nate

Femi John is a solid, solid player.

Big and strong at 6-4 around 200, he can take the contact and finish, as he did a couple of times this weekend against top teams. He has a nice frame, and can handle the ball fairly well. It was Peebles who was just killed by Walker, but both 33 and #2 were eaten up by him. It was almost sad to watch.

If McCluer North lets John and Roundtree bring the ball up the floor the whole game, they win that game and Christ players for fifth. If McCluer was smart, and didn't take poorly timed shots with lead at the end of every quarter, they win. John and Roundtree both took ill-advised jump shots with over 10 seconds left at the end of every quarter, and Christ was able to get a basket three times off those poor shots.

John has an unorthodox jumper, with a high release, but he can stroke it. He was shut down for the most part in the second half against Christ, but that was more out of emphasis from the defense than anything else.

Femi is a little stiff in the hips, and probably won't be a shut down defender like Roundtree, but he is tough and strong enough to cause the opposition problems. John doesn't attack the basket as well as Roundtree, or post up as well either, but he has a solid overall game and I think he is a wonderful mid-major signee. I wanted Missouri State to get him badly, but congrats on keeping him home SLU.

John was one of the better players at the event IMO, and that's very good for this level of competition.

I'd rank the players this way:

1- DeMarcus Cousins Yes, I might be crazy for going above Monroe, but he can stroke it, has a bigger body, and scores in the post better. He is also stronger and has more upside for me. If he gets his conditioning up, the sky is the limit for this kid.

2- Greg Monroe, he has all the tools, including handles, passing, great hands, court vision, and touch. My problem with him was he seemed almost passive on offense, and didn't have a fire.

3- Erving Walker, if he were six foot, might be the top player in the country. 7 for 10 from three in a game his team was down 11 late. Quick as any player you'll see, and comes up huge when you need him.

4- Verdell Jones, unfortunately he got sick while here, but you could see he was the total package. Quick, long, can shoot it, handles really well, plays defense, and a great athlete.

5- Ray Shipman, started slowly in the first game, but when he wanted to get to the basket, no one could stop him. Supremely athletic, and strong. He needs to work on his shot, and if he improves that, he could be a really solid player for the Gators.

6- Nick Jackson, (I think, it may have been Williams) He's going to Marquette. He was very athletic, and tough. I put him for upside, because he never really took over any game, and only made plays when Cousins wasn't on the floor.

7- Raheem Buckles, this kid was long, athletic, and could score. Very bouncy player with an unlimited ceiling.

8- Booker, supremely athletic, and has a great frame. He'll be a very good player at SIU, and will be an awesome defender. Raw offensively, and will need time to develop.

9- Roundtree, awesome defender, who can post up, get to the basket, and has a great touch from the FT line. He needs to improve his shot, but he has awesome talent.

10- Femi John, Solid overall guard who isn't elite in any one thing, but can do so many things well, he'll be a great asset for the Bills.

Sean Johnson, Ryan Pearson, Alex Hall, and #44 for Helen Cox were all solid players with skills to play DI ball. #44 is only listed due to his length and height, but he could be useful for defense and rebounding.

Femi John is a solid, solid player.

Big and strong at 6-4 around 200, he can take the contact and finish, as he did a couple of times this weekend against top teams. He has a nice frame, and can handle the ball fairly well. It was Peebles who was just killed by Walker, but both 33 and #2 were eaten up by him. It was almost sad to watch.

If McCluer North lets John and Roundtree bring the ball up the floor the whole game, they win that game and Christ players for fifth. If McCluer was smart, and didn't take poorly timed shots with lead at the end of every quarter, they win. John and Roundtree both took ill-advised jump shots with over 10 seconds left at the end of every quarter, and Christ was able to get a basket three times off those poor shots.

John has an unorthodox jumper, with a high release, but he can stroke it. He was shut down for the most part in the second half against Christ, but that was more out of emphasis from the defense than anything else.

Femi is a little stiff in the hips, and probably won't be a shut down defender like Roundtree, but he is tough and strong enough to cause the opposition problems. John doesn't attack the basket as well as Roundtree, or post up as well either, but he has a solid overall game and I think he is a wonderful mid-major signee. I wanted Missouri State to get him badly, but congrats on keeping him home SLU.

John was one of the better players at the event IMO, and that's very good for this level of competition.

I'd rank the players this way:

1- DeMarcus Cousins Yes, I might be crazy for going above Monroe, but he can stroke it, has a bigger body, and scores in the post better. He is also stronger and has more upside for me. If he gets his conditioning up, the sky is the limit for this kid.

2- Greg Monroe, he has all the tools, including handles, passing, great hands, court vision, and touch. My problem with him was he seemed almost passive on offense, and didn't have a fire.

3- Erving Walker, if he were six foot, might be the top player in the country. 7 for 10 from three in a game his team was down 11 late. Quick as any player you'll see, and comes up huge when you need him.

4- Verdell Jones, unfortunately he got sick while here, but you could see he was the total package. Quick, long, can shoot it, handles really well, plays defense, and a great athlete.

5- Ray Shipman, started slowly in the first game, but when he wanted to get to the basket, no one could stop him. Supremely athletic, and strong. He needs to work on his shot, and if he improves that, he could be a really solid player for the Gators.

6- Nick Jackson, (I think, it may have been Williams) He's going to Marquette. He was very athletic, and tough. I put him for upside, because he never really took over any game, and only made plays when Cousins wasn't on the floor.

7- Raheem Buckles, this kid was long, athletic, and could score. Very bouncy player with an unlimited ceiling.

8- Booker, supremely athletic, and has a great frame. He'll be a very good player at SIU, and will be an awesome defender. Raw offensively, and will need time to develop.

9- Roundtree, awesome defender, who can post up, get to the basket, and has a great touch from the FT line. He needs to improve his shot, but he has awesome talent.

10- Femi John, Solid overall guard who isn't elite in any one thing, but can do so many things well, he'll be a great asset for the Bills.

Sean Johnson, Ryan Pearson, Alex Hall, and #44 for Helen Cox were all solid players with skills to play DI ball. #44 is only listed due to his length and height, but he could be useful for defense and rebounding.

I don't like Roundtree near as well as you do. I will agree that he is an excellent defender, however his outside game leaves a lot to be desired. He is good at posting up high school players but will not be able to do so at the collegiate level. I also think his ball handling needs a lot of work. I think Femi John projects much better at the college level than Roundtree.

I don't like Roundtree near as well as you do. I will agree that he is an excellent defender, however his outside game leaves a lot to be desired. He is good at posting up high school players but will not be able to do so at the collegiate level. I also think his ball handling needs a lot of work. I think Femi John projects much better at the college level than Roundtree.

We disagree, and every recruiting service also ranks Roundtree higher, but I've been wrong many times before.

I heap praise on the kid, rank John one spot higher, and I'd say I was being more complimentary to both players as opposed to not liking John/loving Roundtree etc.

John will be a very good college player IMO, as will Roundtree.

We disagree, and every recruiting service also ranks Roundtree higher, but I've been wrong many times before.

I heap praise on the kid, rank John one spot higher, and I'd say I was being more complimentary to both players as opposed to not liking John/loving Roundtree etc.

John will be a very good college player IMO, as will Roundtree.

For what it's worth, in the limited times I saw Roundtree, he seems to be able to get to the rim at ease. His size....what 6'5?...will allow that to translate to the next level, IMO. As far as shooting goes, it seems Femi has a better stroke. From what we've seen on RM's offense, the ability to shoot...and make....is HUGE.

Without a doubt having a guy who can put the ball in the hole is huge. John definitely shoots it better than Roundtree, probably the one skill he has on him.

As Blake Ahearn will show you, if you can shoot, you can do things in basketball. I'd imagine there were thousands of kids who were more athletic, and better in every skill than Blake was, who didn't have the career he had, nor playing the NBADL now.

It was merely my personal synopsis of the players and how I rated them. We offered John, we liked John, and I'd sure love to have him at MSU.

Big Bill Fan, what has changed about John's game since June that has turned you around on him so much? You were pretty harsh on him back then saying he was a poor shooter who coundn't score outside of 15 feet and wouldn't be able to translate his game to the college level. I realize that you were making a comparison to Roth and Perry in June but what has changed that makes him better now?

I don't mean this as a flame, as a SIU fan and SLU fan, I am interested in all 3 from McCluer and have never had the chance to see them play. Has John improved his game that much this year or is he as many SIU fans say just shooting the ball much more thus the increased scoring?

Big Bill Fan, what has changed about John's game since June that has turned you around on him so much? You were pretty harsh on him back then saying he was a poor shooter who coundn't score outside of 15 feet and wouldn't be able to translate his game to the college level. I realize that you were making a comparison to Roth and Perry in June but what has changed that makes him better now?

I don't mean this as a flame, as a SIU fan and SLU fan, I am interested in all 3 from McCluer and have never had the chance to see them play. Has John improved his game that much this year or is he as many SIU fans say just shooting the ball much more thus the increased scoring?

He isn't a good 3 point shooter, but he is an exceptional mid range jump shooter. I was very disappointed with his poor ft % last year but that has improved some . Roundtree has been bothered with an ankle problem this year so perhaps it is unfair to judge his performance this year. As for Booker, very inconsistent, some times he will dominate and at other times seems to disappear. Of the three John has shown the most improvement and has had the best year. They all have their strengths, John to me is a more complete player. For the current season John is averaging 18 pts per game and Roundtree 13pts per game. Both are shooting about 50% from the field, as for ft% John is at a mediocre 63% while Roundtree is only making 44% (ouch). That needs to improve or he will be a liability in a close game.

Guest BillikenReport

McCluer North lost to Gateway Tech today, 47-38, at UMSL.

North was very tired playing its fourth game in four days and it showed. They missed all six of their fourth quarter free throw attempts and didn't score in the last 11 minutes of the game.

- Nate

He isn't a good 3 point shooter, but he is an exceptional mid range jump shooter. I was very disappointed with his poor ft % last year but that has improved some . Roundtree has been bothered with an ankle problem this year so perhaps it is unfair to judge his performance this year. As for Booker, very inconsistent, some times he will dominate and at other times seems to disappear. Of the three John has shown the most improvement and has had the best year. They all have their strengths, John to me is a more complete player. For the current season John is averaging 18 pts per game and Roundtree 13pts per game. Both are shooting about 50% from the field, as for ft% John is at a mediocre 63% while Roundtree is only making 44% (ouch). That needs to improve or he will be a liability in a close game.

Thanks.