Improvements in area around Chaifetz Arena

EastSide

Has anyone noticed the improvements to the buildings on Locust that are in close proximity to the new arena? Old facades being taken down and the originals being rehabed. Hopefully there will be a few places nearby to get a drink and some food before the game that are closer than humphreys and lacledes.

Has anyone noticed the improvements to the buildings on Locust that are in close proximity to the new arena? Old facades being taken down and the originals being rehabed. Hopefully there will be a few places nearby to get a drink and some food before the game that are closer than humphreys and lacledes.

I went to Vitos about 2 months ago and its a different place from when I was at SLU. Looks really nice and its a great place for food and drinks before/after the game. Hopefully some new places will start popping up around that area next year.

I went to Vitos about 2 months ago and its a different place from when I was at SLU. Looks really nice and its a great place for food and drinks before/after the game. Hopefully some new places will start popping up around that area next year.

There is a new BBQ place going in close to the campus. I think it is the 3200(?) block of Olive. Not sure if this correct. Opens Feb 1.

Here is the website

http://pappyssmokehouse.com/#.php

Maybe Joe B. can provide more accurate info and details.

Everything is lighted but the smokers for Pappy's Smokehouse, a new barbecue joint in the Linen Lofts building at 3100 Olive Street in midtown (just up the block from where the legendary Mojo barbecue aromacized the neighborhood long ago). A Feb. 1 grand opening is planned - visit www.pappyssmokehouse.com for updates.

OK, so who here is old enough to remember Mojo's?

OK, so who here is old enough to remember Mojo's?

I remember Mojo's. May have even eaten there once or twice. But even though Mojo's was practically across the street from our Laclede Town apartment, we tended to "fill our belly at Marshall's Deli", in the Mansion House downtown -- one of the few 24-hour eateries that existed, back in the day.

I remember Mojo's. May have even eaten there once or twice. But even though Mojo's was practically across the street from our Laclede Town apartment, we tended to "fill our belly at Marshall's Deli", in the Mansion House downtown -- one of the few 24-hour eateries that existed, back in the day.

In those days, I worked the weekend midnight-to-noon or 7 p.m.-7 a.m. shift in Southwestern Bell's computer room, so I, too, partook copiously of Marshall's. Walkin' the downtown streets at 4 a.m. was always a good way to wake up via adrenaline rush.

In those days, I worked the weekend midnight-to-noon or 7 p.m.-7 a.m. shift in Southwestern Bell's computer room, so I, too, partook copiously of Marshall's. Walkin' the downtown streets at 4 a.m. was always a good way to wake up via adrenaline rush.

I'm starting to think that you may have worked just about everywhere there is to work in St. Louis. :blink:

It really is looking great. This is why I was pissed off about SLU tearing down the old stables on Locust a few months back. As long as SLU doesn't demo everything it owns in the area, Locust could become a great little business district.

It's no coincidence that the area we're talking about falls outside of the boundaries of the Grand Center district, where Grand Center Inc. can't "influence" development.

Or perhaps I simply have problems holding a job. (Think about it: Have you ever seen me and Bill Haas in the same place at the same time? :blink: )

If I ever see you working at Petsmart, then I'll start to worry. Those Bonwich kids are going to have some steep tuition bills.

A few local developers have targeted the area and really done a pretty good job of making something out of nothing. Numerous new dining and entertainment establishments have recently popped up in that area. The Linen Lofts on Olive is probably the best example. Hopefully the new Che will give the area an additional boost.

Maybe we can get some Billikens.com dance nights going at Lush. We can see if Nate and Roy will have a dance off to settle their disputes, once and for all.

Is "Che" named after Che Guevara? There is a nightclub/restaurant in Dallas that bears the same name with his picture. I really hope not. If so I urge those connected to SLU to boycott. Che is no hero. 1. He is a communist 2. he ran prison camps for Castro and routinely executed Catholics refusing to deny their faith. Therefore, students of a Catholic institution should avoid it.

End political plea.