man this must kill you mvc lovers

billiken_roy

Take a look at it now: http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008

The world is right again.

I come on here from time to time to get info on St. Louis area recruits, but it seems like every other week there is a post taking shots at the Valley. What's up with that? I don't think I've ever seen a post tearing down the A-10 or any other conference in years of posting on the Missouri State board.

Go Bears and Billikens!

Mo State Fan. A little perspective from our side of the street might help.

Every spring, the Valley Tournament comes to town. Our local media then goes wild over the Valley and cross well over any journalistic line and become self-promoters of the Tourney. Coverage of our team remains poor while the Valley schools and Elgin receive all the attention. Certain local media go the entire year ignoring our Billikens only to levy insults upon us and our conference during your Tournament. Some local media are really Mizzou guys who want to ensure that Mizzou is the best team in the state and therefore want to lump us in with they believe to be the second tier schools (Valley teams) - hence, insult to both of our programs. Kind of funny that Mizzou is scared to play both of our schools - ah, but that is another thread... Unsolicited comments are directed our way suggesting that we should join the Valley. Ironically, most Valley school fans either don't want or don't care if SLU were to join the Valley or not. Personally, I also get annoyed that SLU has played at the Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade for years, have paid rent and assisted the Civic Progress/Kiel Center partners and yet there is not a single picture, banner or jersey hanging in the building. Instead, we wander the halls before and after the game, as well as at half-time, and we see prominent displays of the Valley Tourney and the Braggin Rights game. We all are looking forward to next year when we get our own building, can control the dates and, for the first time in many, many years actually scedule games in advance of 8 to 9 months - Now, we must get the left over dates after the Blues, concerts, circus, etc. get first choice.

Most Billiken fans enjoy the rivalry with Missouri State and Carbondale and look forward to the games each year. Frankly, these would be the best rivalry games (for us) if we did join the Valley and yet we get to play you without joining. Further, not many would really enjoy playing home and away with the likes of Bradley, Illinois State, N. Iowa, Indiana State and Witchita just like we don't get all that excited about Duquesne and St. Bonnie.

In one sense, we really don't wish ill-will upon MSU and the Valley. In another, it is kind of nice to see the A-10 do well and the Valley struggle.

Take a look at it now: http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008

The world is right again.

I have no idea how much you understand the RPI but because the A-10 has a higher winning percentage the A-10 will likely surpass the MVC in the conference average RPI. Well, if the MVC goes .800 percent in its bracket buster and the A-10 loses most of its remaining non-conf that might change but not likely.

For the record, I made the opposite point about 3 weeks ago when a few people here were crowing about the superiority of the A-10 to the MVC and I said that the MVC would likely get a higher win percentage. I was wrong. Even though the A-10's schedules got tougher they were able to maintain a .640 win percentage, a significant accomplishment, so they will likely surpass the MVC.

The real take home point is that RPI-wise they are pretty much statistically equal now and will likely end up that way (not much difference between them). Now, using other measures of team rank (like the many other computer rankings) the A-10 comes out statistically better than the MVC every time.

I have no idea how much you understand the RPI but because the A-10 has a higher winning percentage the A-10 will likely surpass the MVC in the conference average RPI. Well, if the MVC goes .800 percent in its bracket buster and the A-10 loses most of its remaining non-conf that might change but not likely.

Kwijibo, don't forget that the MVC has already played 2 conference games each which has lowered their cumulative winning percentage from 64.4% to 62.0%. with no conference games yet played, the A-10 currently stands at 64.2%, pretty much the same.

Regardless, the fact the A-10 has 4 teams in the top 15 bodes very well for the potential of the conference to get 3 or 4 teams in the dance. The A-10 should be very happy with what it has done this year. The key is to make it happen again next year and the year after.

if only the a-10 didnt have that boat anchor bottom tier teams. if our new a-10 leadership mandates changes and accountability or else, maybe that changes soon.