New scout story, Roth visits again

VTIME

You know whats amazing ... that people who aren't interested in the discussion feel it neccessary to comment.

It's a sports message board. We debate, some of it based upon fact, but most just based on our lowly opinion.

How would you know if we've seen any of them play or not.

And you wonder why you are considered pompous by so many posters.

I bet you look good in your cave, may I suggest you stay there longer between visits here.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>>

>> this kid sounds like another 6'2" shooter that people

>>thought wasn't good enough to play at SLU, yet went on to

>>have a nice career in the valley. Unfortunately, so did the

>>head coach, which is one of the reasons why he is the former

>>head coach.

>> 4-17, blake couldn't lead DeSmet out of bad district, yet

>>he was a four-year starter at MSU and leading scorer for all

>>four years.

>> go figure

>>

>>bad boyz for life

>

>

>?

>

>Ahearn played in the MO State Championship game for large

>schools as a Junior.

No Blake did not. I have the game tape. Blake got injured before the playoffs even started. He broke his wrist trying to dunk. The team made it to state without him. The team was lead through the playoffs by Matt Midden, who later went to Drury, David Ward who no plays at UMSL, and George Robnett.

there is a difference in being a nice addition and an immediate starter, which is what V claimed. If that is the case, I'd expect to see us listed as having one of the best set of guards in the country. Either that or Marcus R is very dissapointing.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Let me phrase it differently then, ....His team played in the game. His team lost 4 games all season,(with him) 5 including state title game.

He wasn't a four year high school starter because that rarely happens at his high school, ...his high school team won state the year before he entered high school, and lost in title game when he was a Frosh and Junior. And he was still an All-State player.

He was a selfish player until later during his college years. ...not a typical player from his HS program. He was benched often for it early in his career, but he eventualkly developed other aspects to his game.

He's a good shooter and great FT shooter and would have helped SLU a great deal during his college years.

I'm not sure what his team's Senior year post-season results have to do with his college success or lack of success?

Didn't a poor Riverview team defeat Hazelwood Central this year in districts? And so on...It happens.

Roth is a good shooter and would be a solid role player for SLU.(gotta have those too) People will underestimate the transition from high school to collge. He will need a few years to get stronger, and adjust to the college game, to be more than just a designated shooter. However for one season he would have a good advantage of playing with a veteran team where all he will have to do is shoot it when he gets some time, and others will create opportunities for him to do that.

If Roth were 6'7 6'8 etc...bigger named schools would be offering him scholarships. Luke Fabrizius is a shooter and is several inches taller and ehnce the higher interest from bigger named schools.

Roth would be a solid, good recruit for SLU. Can never have enough shooters.

I have no preconceptions about the kid starting as a freshmen, but I would love to sign this kid. SLU hasn't had many "pure shooters" in the modern era, and we could certainly use a guy who stretches defenses the moment he steps on the court. The bullseyes guys even claim he is the best pure shooter ever to play high school ball in Illinois. In fact, when the three point line moves back another foot, a guy like this will be even more valuable.

Hoop, Hoop, Hooray! HS Hoops Update

HOI-19 High School Weblog

By Jim Mattson

Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 at 8:05 PM

Matt Roth is an All-Stater

Just about every day, some one asks me if Matt Roth is a big time college prospect. Just about every day, I say "Yes." Then, I ask the questioneer to attend any Washington game and tell me who's the best player in that game. In every game so far this year, Matt Roth has been the best player on the floor. Let's examine that statement. So far, Matt Roth and Washington played Chicago Washington and the so-called top Jr. player in the state, DeAndre Liggins--Roth outplayed Liggins. Then Washington played a Missouri school KC Winnetonka and their Iowa recruit, Jarryd Cole--Roth outplayed Cole. Then Washington played an Arkansas school Har-Ber and their Arkansas recruit Nate Rakestraw- Roth outplayed Rakestraw. Then Washington played Geneseo and their Jr. star Tyler Storm who has a DePaul scholarship offer- Roth outplayed Storm. Tuesday night, Roth poured in a career-high 29 points at Metamora! Every game, Roth is playing like an all-stater. Yes, you can argue about his athleticism and can he play defense at a big-time college level. That's debateable. What's not debateable is that Roth's remarkable shooting range--the best I've ever seen--and his basketball smarts will make him a very good college player- I have no doubt!

http://www.hoinews.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=22997