A SLU article?

It is the first article listed on the SLU team page on Yahoo.

New SLU men's basketball coach ready to roll up his sleeves

By Dan Stroud, The University News

May 18, 2007

(CSTV U-WIRE) ST. LOUIS -- Athletics Director Tim Hall stepped up to the podium in Pierson Auditorium on April 16 and introduced Matt Brown as the new head coach of the UMKC men's basketball program in front of more than 100 people. Hall framed the scene as he made mention of the beautiful spring day that had unfolded outside and of what he termed "a tremendous day in the successful future of UMKC athletics."

"I want a program that will graduate student athletes, win championships and serve as a rallying point to unite the campus community and the greater Kansas City region," Hall told the crowd. "My goal is to build a great program, not simply to have average teams. When I put my head on my pillow at night, I want to know that the entire program is in good hands."

Brown has 13 years of coaching experience at the Division I level, including stints at Marshall University, the University of Florida, the University of Richmond, and most recently at West Virginia University. While that resume might be deemed impressive in its own right, the references garnered by the new Kangaroo chief were even more compelling to Hall and the search committee.

ADVERTISEMENT

So committed to Brown were these references, that both Billy Donovan -- the head basketball coach of the two-time NCAA Division I national champions -- and new Michigan head coach John Beilein -- who with Brown by his side took the West Virginia Mountaineers to the Elite Eight and the Sweet Sixteen in two of the last three seasons -- insisted on being a part of the press conference.

Both were able to participate via a conference call to their respective institutions.

"Matt Brown is someone I have great respect for as a person, as a coach, and as a recruiter," Donovan said. "I'm convinced you've found a special coach, and a special person."

Brown spent three years working on Donovan's staffs at both Marshall and Florida, before leaving to join Beilein at Richmond. The former West Virginia head coach had more to add to Donovan's praise of UMKC's fifth men's head coach in the Division I era.

"Missouri-Kansas City, from what I've learned from others, is a great university, and it's even better today," Beilein said. "Matt [brown] is one of the most organized coaches I've been around in my life. He's ready right now to be a good coach."

Brown seemed almost embarrassed by the adulation. But when the beaming coach was given his turn at the microphone, he did not seem bashful in sharing his goals.

He began by thanking God, his family and as he said, "last but not least, Tim Hall and Chancellor Bailey." After the interview, when questioned further about this order of gratitude, the new coach offered humbly but without reservation that his convictions began and ended with a firm stance centered on faith and family.

"I have a passion for young people ... and a passion to teach the game," Brown said. "I would like to be able to have a product that everyone in the program and in the community can be proud of."

The new coach was quick to comment that he wanted to spend time evaluating the skills his new team had currently before looking at other recruits. He pointed out time was still on his side with nearly a month remaining in the spring signing period.

"The most important recruits I have are in this program right now," Brown said. "I look forward to spending some time getting to know the guys while taking a look at both their athletic and academic prowess to date. I intend to have eye-to-eye contact with each player, to spend some time teaching, and to see what I've got."

Brown said when recruiting did begin he would be comfortable culling out kids typically under-recruited by other NCAA schools. He pointed out West Virginia was forced to take a similar tack with recruiting and had success.

Finally, when asked about scheduling and what to expect in the future, the coach was firm in saying he has always been accustomed to playing schools from very high levels, and that UMKC would not shy away from such opponents in the future.

"I would not have a problem playing a team like Florida if the opportunity arose," Brown said.

UMKC sophomore forward Brian Gettinger, who served on the search committee, talked positively about his new coach.

"I've been very impressed with his charisma and his work ethic," Gettinger said.

As the conference came to an end, the coach shared his family's enthusiasm for the move by referencing a comment made by his oldest son, Gabe.

"He was always a big fan of West Virginia, but last night, while in Sedalia with family, I heard him chanting for the first time, 'Let's go, Roos,'" Brown said.

The coach said his family would finish the school year in West Virginia and join him in Kansas City sometime this summer.

Updated on Friday, May 18, 2007 9:0