Angres Thorpe

Seems like old news, but Bernie posted this over at his forum.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.p...69c6867a4061a88

Post subject: Angres Thorpe to remain as SLU assistant

Good move by Majerus.... knows the local recuiting terrain.... has established recruiting connections with some local juniors and their families... SLU players, especially Liddell, really trust and respect Thorpe.... and AT is a problem-solver... good link between the new coaches and the holdover players.

--B

I am confused by this press release. I thought that AT was staying and that was announced earlier even before RM was hired. Does this mean that AT will be staying beyond next year if he chooses to do so? Also, this still means we are short one asst. coach - correct?

>I don't think it was ever official that AT was staying. Just

>message board talk.

>

>According to Courtside, we have a third assistant but he

>won't give us a name. So, who knows.

Angres was at the Majerus press conference as an assistant coach.

Majerus also mentioned him during the press conference, though on second reference messed up Thorpe's first name.

AT was a key guy to keep around because he has good connections throughout the area. With the timing of the firing/hiring and the spring signing period/recruiting period, keeping AT on the staff was imperative.

He also helps keep that bridge between the two staffs with recruiting the 2008, 2009 and 2010 classes in the St. Louis area. (Contrary to a couple people here saying all was lost in that respect when Soderberg was fired.)

- Nate