Just for spits and giggle...If Borgia were too...

BLIKNS

join a conference,which one would they join?Or is this out of question?Seen the Knights will play DeSmet on Feb.3rd.,

I know they were invited to join the Metro Catholic a few years back and declined. They reasoning I heard was two-fold:

1) they did not want to commit to the travel of playing all their away games in St. Louis

2) they like the flexibility to schedule whoever they want and not having to worry about working around a conference schedule.

If these are the reasons, I can't say I argue with them. With the respect they have built over the years with all the programs in the STL area, they are able to put together a pretty good schedule. This year the will play Chaminade, Desmet and Vianny from the MCC. MICDS from the ABC and St. Chas West and Washington from the GAC. They also have games against U.City ad Festus. I have not looked at a ton of high school schedules, but my guess is that very few are as diverse and competitive.

I am curious of what some of the other posters think of my last remark. Am I correct in that assumption?

you really think they were offered a spot in the MCC? I know that they can compete in football and basketball, but i think that they would have trouble in every other sport .. i don't think SLUH would want to travel all the way out to them either .. the other catch is that their class size is much smaller than even Chaminade .. which is at about 120 per class .. I think Borgia is about 60 boys per class. also, why would they join an all male conference? it just wouldn't add up. They would lose 8-0 in soccer (the sport that matters most in MCC, sorry B-Ball fans) to which ever school is the powerhouse that year.

they are probably best off staying as an independent .. schools both enjoy and hate playing them (they play better than their class size) .. they will always find someone to play.

Former MCC folks .. soccer is the sport that matters most in that conference .. am I off base with that statement? very curious ..

St Dominic stayed independent for all these years for some of the same reasons...Next year they will be in the AAA...Something good can be said for conference play (i.e.) rivals, conference championships, belonging to a recognized group, publicity, etc.

I disagree about the GAC being there natural choice. In any case, I think they will remain independent, so it's not really worth the discussion.

As for the comment about Borgia only being able to compete in basketball and football, I think this is a little off. I'm not saying they would compete for the conference title in soccer year in and year out, but they have been to the final four in 1a-3a several times in recent years and while I realize the MAC has some soccer powerhouses, I still think Borgia would be competitive. They usually play several MCC teams in baseball as well and hold their own.

I think the more legitimate argument is that Borgia does not offer alot of the 2nd tier sports the MCC offers (i.e. men's v-ball, water polo, wrestling, hockey).

Someone also questioned if they were really invited to join the MCC. I guess I can't say that I know they received a formal written invitation, but I believe my sources are relatively good and they say we were asked to consider joining.