A theory on the timing

slu72

Barring any news that UB violated a rule or somehow ticked off Biondi, could the unusual timing have something to do with the class of '08? Face it, spring recruiting was not going well. Correia signs with an A-10 opponent. Peterson basically says I'm waiting for Iowa or something else. MG, after his visit, says "I'm no closer to a decision." Alexander chooses the Illini. The prospect list gets smaller as does the talent level. So, if UB stays, the team likely faces another mediocre year or worse. Could someone close to Biondi have said, "we're blowing any chance we have with the '08 class if we keep him around for another year."? What do you think rival coaches are going to be telling these kids? Soderberg's gone after next year, why would you sign at SLU?" With a new guy these kids would know they are being recruited by a coach with a five year contract. Just a thought.

soderberg was extremely upbeat sunday nite about filling the last couple spots. what motivation did he have to bring that out if that wasnt true? the banquet was about the current team and he could have easily glossed over the current recruiting situation.

btw slu72, alexander only committed after soderberg was fired.

and as to 2008 class, i believe unless we bring in a celebrity, no shorttimer coach is going to muscle in on the feeding frenzy of the st louis 2008 recruits. we actually doomed ourselves to the lower tier now for 2008 if we bring in an asst coach or a low major head coach for our new coach. soderberg was the one coach best positioned to capitalize on 2008. you can bet a lot of head coaches smiled their a$$ off yesterday and the text messages were flying.

Show me where Alexander said, "I was going to SLU until they fired Soderberg." There were strong indications he was going Blue and Orange as I read the posts below. I'm sorry, Broy, I know you are ticked he's gone and the shabby way they did it, but UB is simply not a recruiter, therefore, not the man to get us to the promised land.

Look at Brad's track record. He wasn't going to land any of these guys. He's never won a recruiting battle for any nonlocal guys. All he's managed to do in five year's is get a couple a very good players that wanted to play close to home to stay home. Besides Kramer why would you expect him to have a better success rate with the 08 class. Sure, he might have lande a couple of 2nd or 3rd tier local kids, but that wasn't going to cut it. His firing was only a year away at the most.

Roy,

what the heck are you talking about? Soderberg was not going to capitalize on the STL talent. yes, he was going to get his son...GREAT. stop thinking about 2008, cause you have a better shot at recruiting them than brad did. In the back of your mind, you still think Suggs actually would come to SLU to play for brad. that is comical.....

We can speculate forever about why, when, etc. My immediate concern is that the good father does not have a hire in place. Intuitively, I've felt that a new coach was in place and would be announced Thur. or Fri. However, after reading the press release again and the info from Earl Austin and Frank Cusamano today, it's beginning to sound like we've just begun a search. Certainly the interviews with T Liddell and K Lisch indicates that they will be allowed to talk to the candidates.

While the spring signing period runs through May 16, May 1-16 is a black-out period and coaches can have no contact with recruits. Seems like this class is done and we MAY have 2 new Billikens. Next year is shaping up horribly.

Apparently, the good father and a rich buddy or two have pulled the trigger on this action. I hope they are right and come out with a great hire, but the way this has been handled thus far, leaves me cynical. I sure hope I'm wrong!

I have no great theory on the timing but I honestly do not think the timing would have any impact on who we come up with as a coach. The hiring /firing carousel in late March only affects the BCS conferences IMO and the non-BCS conferences to the extent they lose a coach to a BCS conference. Whoever we hire in the coming days/weeks would have been the same hire as in late March.

Obviously it impacts our spring recruiting but I have no great confidence that we were going to get anything more than a Horace, Obi, Vashun, etc. anyway.

The only negative I see is that Tommie and/or Kevin walk. I see this as extremely remote given they would have to sit out for a fully year if they transferred. Plus, Tommie's buddy is coming in from ESTL and Kevin's family seems pretty tied to SLU. Kevin and Tommmie seem too smart to transfer schools just because of a new basketball coach, even if they had a good, solid relationship with Brad.