Why I don't like Mizzou

kshoe

like i said, they have no quality starters that are better than billiken starters. i hope you arent basing any tiger talk on beating that worthless team. my gosh, their power forward is a 6'1" aj moye! if you look at indiana's record, they have only one win vs a top 100 team. michigan. otherwise their win totals is all about worse teams than st louis played.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wont argue that is possible. however, the billikens actually have a better chance of rising above indiana than you think. remember the big ten is far below cusa right now, thus for remaining schedule, the billikens probably will play the tougher rpi rated schedule.

if you have been following this board, i have been complaining about our buy games all year.

however, my point about actual matchups is valid. i would love to have a crack at the likes of iowa, indiana, or oklahoma this year.

i hate the rpi as well. however it is a fact it drives the selection committee. too much history tells us that no matter what they say, it is most of the at large decision maker.

to be honest after watching most of the tiger games this year, i am not sure they are underachieving. they have a lot of stars, but they have way too many holes on thier roster. $nyder's roster thinking is idiotic to be kind. 3 power forwards and 4 wing guards make up their top 7 players. did he forget there are other positions? if they were playing in some kind of hoop it up 3 on 3 league they would be quite the foe. but as it is, it is too easy for the opposing coaches to zero in on their position unbalance.

I think it's more likely we're underachieving. That was our lineup last year and we did alright. Rickey Paulding is just now turning it on, Johnson lost his mid range shot, gardner and kleiza don't get nearly enough minutes, laurie isn't confident in his shot... There's a lot of confusion on the court. the past 3 games they've looked better though, so I'm hoping we're turning it around.

You are right by example of....The only at large berth last year to go to the NCAA was North Carolina State....at 53, however they made it because of getting to their conference tourney and having a winning record in the regular season conference.

However you are wrong by example....North Carolina ended up 17-15 a RPI of 52 and did not get to go to the ncaa tourney......Moreover 40 does not always get you in, as UNLV sat home alone on prom night last year with an RPI of 40

for interesting perspective, check out Kenpom.com he has the past years listed and the teams that made it are higlighted.

just on point of contention with tour posts....stick to the RPI as your barometer for the "respectability of wins" rankings are arbitrary at the beginning of the season, as we have seen with Mizzou and Oklahoma's fall from the top 25. Roy is correct as for how the NCAA does things, rankings do not matter......RPI does.....despite its flaws.......

moofan said, "Most people in St. Louis probably wanted to hear about the Tigers #5 seed in the tourney over the billikens dissapointing end to a marvelous run. It depends on what's a "hot story" at the moment."

that is the whole point of our general b!tch. the media doesnt focus on the correct story. casual fans are like sheep for the most part. they will read and believe what is put in front of them and then follow what they are told. they were told last year that the billikens were no good and not to be taken serious and they believed it and didnt support the team. that is why it is important that the media "cheerleads" accordingly.

if duke ends up with a 52 rpi, they indeed would be on the bubble at at best get the last seed of the at large teams.

i think over the last 10 years, a 40 or better rpi has not gotten a team in about 10 times. and one over that becomes very unstable and the criteria becomes far more inconsistent. that watermark is one i have pulled out of the air after watching this stuff play out over that time period.

they were no where near the losers that the press and the electronic media made them out to be. they didnt deserve near the treatment they have received as of late.

they would have to tank.....which is what the NCAA would look upon unfavorably. However NC St. finished strong and was rising.

looking over the last few years 8 or 9 (8-3 or 7-4 over the next eleven games) losses or less and we may very well be in....iIF our sos ends up below 60 in rank......

I will be interested to see what happens to our SOS as we start to play these better teams in our conference. If U of L continues to play well our SOS may actually go up despite a loss....

The point is not that I expect the media to be cheerleaders - sorry Roy - but that the coverage should be proportioned to the fact that we are the hometown team. Somebody could say that there are lots of transplanted New Yorkers in St. Louis but never would I expect the media to talk about the Yankees or Mets before the Cardinals. That is my point.

I haven't perused this board in some time. It's nice to see that Mizzou is still a hot topic of conversation among SLU fans. As usual, the topic is started by a SLU fan. The Missouri obsession never ends.

One possible positive of SLU doing relatively well and Quin Snyder going down in flames, is maybe Soderberg will be a candidate to replace Snyder if SLU keeps winning. I haven't seen a Mizzou team play solid defense since Stewart left.