Is there a logical reason why Tubby is taking the Minn.

VTIME

Couldnt he have held out for a better offer? What's so appealing about the Minnesota jop? Could he do for them what Matta has done for Ohio State. Ohio State fell off the map when Redd, Penn, and Ken Johnson left, and now they are a power. Even if Oden leaves they have a great team, plus the 7'1 Koufus coming in amongst another stellar recruiting class.

I heard tonight that Tubby Smith's contract at Minnesota won't pay much less than the $2,000,000 per year he was making at Kentucky.

If that's true, he's made a good move. He won't have to deal with the craziness surrounding him in Lexington and his team won't face the scrutiny of the biggest thing in the area — with the Minnesota Twins, Vikings, Wild and Timberwolves taking up most of the sports pages and TV highlights.

I don't see Tubby Smith turning Minnesota into the next Ohio State, unless they have a great run of talent like the state of Ohio is experiencing and somehow land one of the top college prospects of all time.

If Minnesota is really paying Smith that much money, good for them to step up and make a big-time effort to become a successful basketball program.

I talked with Tubby for a little while when he was in St. Louis for the final four two years ago. That was the year the Wildcats lost a heartbreaker in the elite eight and fell just short of coming to St. Louis. We also talked about his recruitment of Tyler Hansbrough and he felt like they were close to landing him.

If Kentucky goes to the final four that year and/or if Smith lands Hansbrough, we're not talking about this move. It's funny how one game or one player can change a program — if Quin Snyder lured Hansbrough to Columbia he'd still be coaching there — but that's how it happens sometimes.

- Nate

He will make $1.8 million a year at Minnesota. For $200 K less a year, but a TON less ridiculous pressure on him, I think it's a smart move.

Was he just released outright from his contract at UK? He had 4 years left.