It seems to me...

SLUDrew

moy, when you say "why not go man to man?" you mean a denial man to man right? which i totally agree with.

the pack is a man to man as well. the difference being that when your man doesnt have the ball, you keep a foot in the lane (i.e. pack the lane) and deny slashes to the basket and help accordingly.

when we played missouri state and dayton, he would have polk or lisch guard roberts or ahearn all over the floor and those two would damn the pack rules.

a denial man to man protects against 3 point shooters and tries to keep the ball out of a shooters hand. but is vulnerable to the strong slashing player that can get by his man and the help defense has a harder time coming back to help.

the pack allows the perimeter pass and is vulnerable to the 3 point shooter if the defender doesnt explode to his man fast enough. however it protects the drive to the basket and is able to double down on the passes to the baseline and lower block.

roy, i really appreciate that explanation. As you can tell, i'm not an x's and o's basketball guy. Yes, as you describe it, i meant the denial man to man. Especially with BH to clog the lane and provide protection against those slashers, i would hope to see more of a denial man to man.

Matt Doherty recruited the bulk of Roy's NC's championship team. What I heard down here was MD was cracking under the pressure of delivering big time right away with those kids and was coming down real hard on them. Being prima donna's they rebelled and all threatened to transfer out unless a change was made. That said, I don't know if MD is the right guy but way too early to judge him at lightly regarded SMU.

Broy, hard to argue with Drew on player development. Yes, he improved TL's shot, hopefully he'll work on his handles this summer. But beyond him, whose improved? DB, worse. DP, flat liner. JJ, 5 years of nothing. LM, might give him some credit for having LM bulk up, although I think he's the kind of kid who would have done it on his own, but a nod to UB. IV, this was the summer of European championship ball that made him take the leap. And then what happens? A slide, only to rise in the last 4-5 games. In my estimation, IV should have been benched after Duquense game. It was UB's job to get this kid on track....didn't happen until way too late. No, for some reason SLU players don't seem to develop as others do.

so luke meyer doesnt count because of "the kind of kid that he is". interesting.

btw, sloan, fisher and marque perry all improved by leaps and bounds in soderberg's tenure. izik got better under soderberg.

we can all play the cards we want.