VTIME....

SLUSER

What's your take on the Floyd Irons situation? Should the "thief" get his job back? I really like, from what I have read and heard, what Bonner is doing over there. I would love for Bonner to build up his resume and take over the SLU coaching job someday. He is in a tough situation at Vashon and is handling it well. He should be there coaching next year.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonner is the reason Kenny Harris and Derron Hobbs are over at Gateway Tech. He lost to Parkway South at Sectional. How can you like that. They wont even win the PHL next year. I've also heard that he is the one that petitioned to make Kenny Harris ineligible after Harris had that outstanding Whitfield tournament. Next year they have Cornbread Walker, 6'6 rebounder Marcel Smith who sat out this year per transfer rules from CA. Ameechie Baldwin, another transfer that had to sit out and Justin "Flash" Keener. Its gonna be rough. If Gateway works HARDDDDDDDDDDDDD with the 7'0 Robinson kid they can start:

C 7'0 Robinson

F 6'8 Perry

G 6'6 Harris

6 6'3 Belger

G 5'10 Hobbs.

That lineup should win state easy. Especially if the rumors are true that Floyd is headed to Gateway next year. Head Coach Albert Thomas was let go towards the end of the season and James Washington Sr. took over. I'm pretty sure you all know Washington's ties to Vashon. Thomas also had ties as he was the former Vashon girls coach. Harris is the younger brother of former Vashon star Lorenzo Gordon. All 5 of those kids are D1 prospects with Robinson, Perry and Harris all having very high major potential. Hobbs might be held back by his size. Hobbs is an honor student, so he'll play somewhere regardless.

Harris and Hobbs would have been declared ineligble to play at Vashon. They do not live in Vashon's district and would have never been on the team if Floyd would have played by the rules. Don't fault Bonner for not wanting to have to forfiet every game they would have played in. The line-up you give would be illegal, but then again you have no problem with that.

>Harris and Hobbs would have been declared ineligble to play

>at Vashon. They do not live in Vashon's district and would

>have never been on the team if Floyd would have played by

>the rules. Don't fault Bonner for not wanting to have to

>forfiet every game they would have played in. The line-up

>you give would be illegal, but then again you have no

>problem with that.

You're wrong!!!!!!!!!! Hobbs transferred over Christmas break. He was eligible to play. He transferred because he didnt like Bonner. Harris transferred last summer. I knew he would. He came up playing for Gameface and in Floyd's system. He played for them in 8th grade when he was 5'11. He knew he wasnt gonna make Vashon as a freshman, so he enrolled at Soldan as a freshman and he grew substantially from 5'11 to 6'4. He now stands 6'6 with all of his guard skills intact. He's gonna be a force next year. He was averaaging 14ppg this year before he was ruled ineligible. Floyd isnt cheating any rules. He's not gonna tell a kid to go away because he doesnt live in the district. You enroll at Vashon and tryout for his team, if you make it, you make it, you dont, you dont. I dont know many coaches that just send a kid away. There are kids playing for nearly every school that dont stay in the district big deal. Let the kids go where they want, as long as they arent being recruited, I dont see what the problem is. He's NOT recruiting kids to come.

No I dont agree. I'm a fan of both. I'm a fan of the Bonner league, but not Bonner the Vashon coach. You dont have to like Irons, but he got a lot of guys to schools they wouldn't have gotten to under other coaches including Bonner. At one point he had 8 D1 guys on 1 team. His 2004 title team had 5 kids that eventually committed to D1 schools. If Will Franklin wanted basketball more that could've been 6. He gets results. He can win a state title anywhere, Sumner, Yeshiva, it doesnt matter.

Here is the quote from the Riverfront Times:

"A third player scratched from Vashon's roster this season was junior Derron Hobbs. The RFT's investigation found that Hobbs resided with his family outside Vashon's boundaries on North Kingshighway. Last month he transferred to Gateway High, a magnet school."

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2007-03-07/...mpionship-game/

It is the rules that these kids can't play for Vashon or Vashon would have to forfiet those games they played in.

I don't understand the whole transfer thing. Did the kids move out of the Vashon district? I mean, you can't transfer from Parkway West to Parkway Central just because you don't like the coach - your parents have to physically move from one district to the other.

The kids are enrolled already before they ever tryout for him. What is he supposed to do, go to the registrars office and say "Call this kids parents immediately, I went through his bookbag and found an envelope with an address outside the district. Send him to Beaumont immediately." Unless your coach gives you a ride home, how would he know your address anyway. If a kid tells you he stay at such and such residence, why wouldnt you believe them?

Hobbs moved knowing he wasnt going to be eligible. He didnt care, he just wanted to get out of that environment. Harris thought he would be eligible and I think he's actually legal in the Gateway district. He was ruled ineligible for transferring for athletic reasons.

You said eventually went to D1 schools. That means he got them into a JUCO and a JUCO developed a kid and eventually gave that kid an option to go D1. Because Vashon plays all over the place. I don't think Floyd should come back, but if he does he does and it just proves how jacked up the city schools are. Actually I don't think Bonner should be coaching either.

>You said eventually went to D1 schools. That means he got

>them into a JUCO and a JUCO developed a kid and eventually

>gave that kid an option to go D1. Because Vashon plays all

>over the place. I don't think Floyd should come back, but

>if he does he does and it just proves how jacked up the city

>schools are. Actually I don't think Bonner should be

>coaching either.

Washington, B and J Hill, McKinney, Polk, all went straight out of high school and so did Sean Tunstall, Bonner, and many others. He also coached several football players that went straight to D1. Every now and then you have a Randy Reed, Nick Kern, or a Lorenzo Gordon that has to go to Junior College first, but those guys had D1 offers in high school. Dont act like JUCO made them D1, when they were already D1 talents. Gordon was the best Mineral Area player ever.

How come you don't hear about eligible and ineligible players anywhere else except at Vashon? It has nothing to do with the ex-coach, i'm sure. i guess all the other schools just do a better background check on all the students.

Or maybe Irons doesnt care and just wants to win.

"He transferred because he didnt like Bonner"

We are talking about high school, aren't we? What ever happened to people going to school to...you know...learn? Given the track record of professional athletes coming out of Vashon, don't you think these guys should be a little more focused on their education than if they like the basketball coach? I find this whole thing very irritating. We're talking about teenagers here. They aren't even old enough to buy a pack of cigs. Maybe Bonner hasn't won a state championship, but he certianly appears to be representing the school and community with class. Not to mention playing by the rules and enforcing them on his STUDENTS. What a horrible man.

If VTIME is indicitive of the Vashon community, it's no wonder St. Louis inner city youth is what it is.

You hear about them at Vashon because they are dominating. I can name several players that stay in my neighborhood and chose to go to Berkeley, McCluer, and McCluer North. The kids have their reasons. I dont see anything wrong with it. A talented kid who lives in Washington Mo, is going to choose Borgia most times over Washington, even with Scott Suggs. Its just a fact. Kids go where they think they can play or be seen. They go where their friends are. Basketball tryouts cant start until football season is over. The kid has been at the school for 3 months already. Unless he openly tells you I shouldn't be here, why would you turn him away or suspect he doesnt live in the district. In the city, especially, how would a kid even know what high school he's supposed to go to?

>"He transferred because he didnt like Bonner"

>

>We are talking about high school, aren't we? What ever

>happened to people going to school to...you know...learn?

>Given the track record of professional athletes coming out

>of Vashon, don't you think these guys should be a little

>more focused on their education than if they like the

>basketball coach? I find this whole thing very irritating.

>We're talking about teenagers here. They aren't even old

>enough to buy a pack of cigs. Maybe Bonner hasn't won a

>state championship, but he certianly appears to be

>representing the school and community with class. Not to

>mention playing by the rules and enforcing them on his

>STUDENTS. What a horrible man.

>

>If VTIME is indicitive of the Vashon community, it's no

>wonder St. Louis inner city youth is what it is.

What rule is he enforcing? How is he playing by the rules. What did he do? What are you talking about?