Bernie gives SLU some love

From Bernie's St. Louis Post Dispatch message board:

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.p...02254126505b523

"I'm going to defend Roy and the Billikens on this one ... the success of this program won't be determined by Soderberg or any SLU coach getting commitments from Top 50 recruits, or McDonald's All Americans. They're not going to win many battles for stars.

No, the success of the SLU program will be influenced heavily by the coach's ability to add elements, and components, and depth -- all of which adds up to a complete team. You think Chris Lowery at SIU has built a top 25 program by landing recruits who are receiving offers from bigger schools and programs? Heck, no. Lowery recruits pieces to a team... when he looks at kids in the St. Louis area and elsewhere he asks, "How do they fit? What can they give us. How can I make the sum greater than the individual parts?" And he puts a hard-(censored) team together that probably outperforms its talent level much of the time.

And what Mitchell gives SLU is toughness. The kid is a warrior. He'll do anything a team needs to win a ballgame. And yes he has talent. Flexibile talent at that. And SLU needs more tenacious players. And tough kids who can move around the floor, and play multiple positions -- whatever the team needs at the time.

I don't care that Mitchell wasn't being recruited by Syracuse or Wisconsin or Tennessee or whomever -- he is a GOOD recruiting get by SLU. "

--B

Bernie, at heart, is a blue collar, lunch pale kinda guy. Mitchell is his kind of player. I am hoping for more than toughness from Mitchell (having only seen a few clips of him so far). I'm glad to hear Roy say he does have ball skills and could be looked at as a combo guard.

Funny this guy says it does not matter, but I bet he did not like all the criticism he got yesterday. Just a hunch that he thought better of the slap he took at SLU and Soderberg yesterday. Now he is leading the press in reporting a verbal committment, and defending Roy!!

did anyone watch creighton win the mvc tournament this week with a 6'3" power forward who had no jumper to speak of.

CU list 6'8" Dane Watts as the PF, but he is a 3-point shooter who stays on the perimeter, but this 6'3 guy is the one who gets it done in the lane.

he had 19 points and 13 rebounds against missouri state on Saturday night.

had had 15 points, six rebounds and six assists against SIU in the finals on Sunday and repeatedly took the ball right at southern's tough defenders with strength and quickness.

his name is nick porter.

bad boyz for life