This might sound like a stupid question...

jmolina

the rpi is supposedly an exact (or as close as can be assertained since the ncaa refuses to devulge exactly) replica of what the ncaa uses in their seedings. sagarin is just some guy's formula that he has come up with to rate teams. while the results may appear similar, they have no connection with each other and the ncaa doesnt subscribe to mr sagarin's ratings at all. i.e. they are discussion fodder and that is about it while the rpi is supposedly the basis of most of the ncaa seedings and picks.

RPI is the formula used by the NCAA for tourney invites along with other criteria. The official RPI isn't broadcast but several sources have there own guestimates. Sagarin is a power ranking system design ed tell you the approximate scoring between two teams. As to the calculations used by both I'll leave that to the experts.

john i honestly dont know. since the sagarin is nothing that the ncaa considers in their seedings, i absolutely pay zero attention to it.

Sagarin is a rating service that takes more in consideration than just a game that is won by a team. The difference of victory, the place the game is played, etc. are all included and he posts his list every week including a rating for each team. It is used by gamblers but for football it is also used by the NCAA in its system to rate teams in the BCS. It is one of many rating systems that are used.

The RPI is an NCAA rating system that supposedly does not consider the margin of victory. There are many websites that publish lists of teams and conferences that purport to be RPI lists but, in fact, they are nothing more than attempts by people to simulate the RPI.