Great Tommie article!

SLURadioBoy

Timmermann has a great article in today's paper about Tommie and his improved shooting from last year.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...14?OpenDocument

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I'm impressed with the drill Brad set up to rebuild Tommie's shot this summer (quote from Timmerman article)--

Shortly after last season ended, Soderberg went to work on rebuilding Liddell's shot and to do that, he confined Liddell's offensive talents to a chair. Liddell's shot used to originate behind his head and he seemed to throw the ball at the basket. To isolate the shot, and only the shot, Soderberg had Liddell sit in a chair on the practice court in West Pine Gym.

At the start, Soderberg sat in another chair opposite the lane from Liddell and the two threw the ball back and forth, with Liddell using only his left (shooting) hand. By using only one hand, Liddell couldn't bring the ball back behind his head. He then sat in the chair underneath the basket and shot the ball 50 times, gradually moving farther away and repeating. Finally, he was allowed to stand up and shoot the ball, still using one hand. Eventually, he was allowed to use his right hand to help guide the ball.

Liddell would spend 2½ tedious hours a day in the gym as he erased the mental memory of how he had been shooting for years.

At the start, Soderberg sat in another chair opposite the

lane from Liddell and the two threw the ball back and forth,

with Liddell using only his left (shooting) hand. By using

only one hand, Liddell couldn't bring the ball back behind

his head. He then sat in the chair underneath the basket and

shot the ball 50 times, gradually moving farther away and

repeating. Finally, he was allowed to stand up and shoot the

ball, still using one hand. Eventually, he was allowed to

use his right hand to help guide the ball.

There was a picture in the St Louis American were Tommie was taking a jumpshot. He not only was holding the ball behind his head, he was also fighting the release with his guide hand. I asked his dad who told him to shoot the ball that way. I thought it was the coaching staff at SLU. I was thinking Tommie is going to be in trouble if he doesn't change his form. I for one am impressed with the work Tommie and the staff put him over the summer. As far as shooting with one hand, I believe Gilbert Arenas used that method to become a great jumpshooter. There is an article on espn.com were he supposedly wagered Deshawn Stevenson he could make more jumpshots from the college three point line with one hand than Stevenson could with both hands. Arenas won the bet.

For me, this is good to hear. It highlights UB's coaching skills to me. I don't get to see the team at practice or watch many games, so it is nice for me to hear anecdotal evidence of UB helping his players.

I'm not saying he didn't or doesn't coach his players. I'm saying that I, for one, didn't or don't hear much about it.

cheeseman said,

"they meant was that he has not successully landed anybody with his efforts."

hmmmmm. i wonder how the likes of tom frericks, izik ohannon, anthony drejaj, reggie bryant, kevin lisch, tommie liddell, luke meyer, dwayne polk, ian vouyoukas, etc managed to end up at slu.