Question for those in the know

slu72

Hello posters,

I'm the new guy. A very long time lurker. My first post.

What a great group this is. A good mix of youth and experience. One thing's certain: there's no shortage of passion here. Billiken basketball is one of mine, too. And for that, I'm very glad to be joining this group.

Some quick background on me. An 80's grad. Have lived and died with this team since the sixties when my dad would bring me to Kiel. Harry Rogers. Later the David Burns years. Travelled to NY to watch the Bills' '89 NIT appearance, been on the road with them for at least 2 NCAA tourney games. Currently share season tickets and end up attending most home games.

Like most of the rest of you, I am very frustrated in the lack of progress for the program. We are stuck -- and have been for lots of years -- in the middle of the mid-major rut. But I don't place much of the blame at the coach's feet. Roy, I agree with nearly everything you've posted. The root of the problem, I believe, is at the top. Too many coaches, athletic directors, assistants, AD personnel have changed over the years. A revolving door. More change just sets the program back another 5-10 years. The only constant is at the top: Lack of commitment to creating a top 50 program.

I often compare the SLU basketball situation to the old Football, now Arizona Cardinals. How many of us really believe that Billy Bidwill will actually build a winner in the desert? Oh maybe one year, here or there. But a winning tradition? He could rearrange the deck chairs by changing coaches every 3 years -- and likely will -- but the answer is still: No.

In St. Louis U's case, they have made commitments to do a number of things, some quite well.

For example:

-They put a tremendous plan together to improve the physical campus. Absolutely stunning.

-They committed to having one of the top Catholic universities in the country, academically. They are getting very close to this.

-They committed to a shiny new research center. In the can.

-They committed one way or the other to integrating various kinds of artwork throughout the campus. Like it or not, done.

-A new business school. Done.

-About 10-15 years ago, they made a major upgrade in their University publications. Universitas was waste-bucket material previously. Look at it now. I'm very proud to say I went to the University that creates it. First class.

-Many other accomplishments, too.

But their other commitment -- a Top 50 program -- goes undone. Yes, the new building is on its way. And that's a very good thing. But it is not the whole enchilada. It is just the start of what should be a multiple step strategic plan. But my suspicion is that it is just a tactic --

When any organization makes a commitment to accomplish something, the people in charge put a plan together to do just that. You assemble the best minds, pull resources together and get it done.

So why is this program lacking? Soderberg? Hardly. He works his tail off, recruits with at least an arm and a half tied behind his back. Is he perfect? Hardly. But can you lay all the blame for recruiting failures at his feet? No. Sometimes, better athletes find better places to play ball. Why? Because the Basketball product/program the University offers to prospective athletes is subpar. It has historically not shown big-time commitment. Thus, we do not compete well.

Passion is the answer. Or lack therof. That is why the best minds, resources, etc. have not been pulled together for Billiken Basketball. To make it COMPETE for players, to be as stunning in basketball as the physical campus is. Fr. Biondi doesn't care too much about this, sorry to say. It is not his passion. He has done other things at this University -- mentioned above -- quite well. He is happy to have a nice program, stay out of trouble, keep his costs down and take a lowest common denominator approach. Occasionally have some success. Not that he doesn't like the team or shaking hands at games. But quite different than commitment. Or passion.

And that does not cut it.

The utter shame of this is that the St. Louis market is a good basketball market and WIDE OPEN to support a winner. Top 20 in size. No NBA team to compete with. Relatively inexpensive tickets to Bills' games. A very good entertainment value. In an earlier post, it was discussed that we are currently in top 20 in basketball attendance. My reaction? DUH! For those with foggy memories, in the latter Highmark/Claggett years, SLU basketball was IN THE TOP 5. In the country. This was not for a national champion. Just a very good team. Thus, the market is there. They are waiting for the commitment. Same reason Bernie Miklasz says what he says.

How does SLU put together a plan to be Top 50? Starts with money. Strategic thinkers. The best minds. Marketing. Commitment. Then the recruits will come and a winning TRADITION begins. A future post. But it is really not the point.

The more important question is: how does Billiken basketball become a priority so that a plan WILL be created? Where is Fr. Biondi's passion, the same passion that he dips into for other well-done things at the University. The passion that will lead to a PLAN -- so that the nice new SLU arena is simply the start, not just a band-aid to keep the long-suffering alums quiet.

Otherwise, we have Bill Bidwill, building a new stadium in the desert. Changing the chairs on the deck.

What do you say, Fr?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line and save this post and I hope you can call me a liar in 12 months-

Tommy-will not be in Blue next year, no way! NADDA!!

Spring recruits-We will sign 1 guard and 2 inside and none of the 3 will help much next year. Players that can contribute right away are already signed or not comming to SLU as much as we would like them to. BS is on the bubble and no recruits wants to sign amid uncertainly.

Brad's last year will be 07-08 and it will be a .500 season.

Great stuff: well-thought and well-written summary of the current state of the program.

In addition to the arena project, one thing that gives me optimism is Cheryl Levick. I just get the sense that she knows and understands what is required to have a top program. For example, it took her no time at all to recognize the gross mistake of not including offices and practice facilites in the new building, and she successfully leveraged her influence to correct the mistake. She has also recognized and worked to improve the department's endowment through private donations. The issue remains whether Biondi will listen to her plan and provide the long-term financial support to implement it.

davidnark,

Thanks. And I agree with the optimism surrounding Ms. Levick. I hope she can get it done.

However, I suspect that plenty of other athletic directors have had similar hopes, smarts and energy.

The rubber will meet the road -- where it always has -- at the top. If Ms. Levick puts a Top 50 plan together and submits a budget to accomplish it, and the bottom line is a significant investment (commitment of cash), I don't hold out hope.

I am an optimist by nature. But the reality is that SLU ADs don't stay too long. They get a few years under the belts, move to greener pastures. Same with coaches.

They want the same commitment that we do. The passion to get it done. And when they don't see it, stepping stone it is.