by BRETT SHIPP

WFAA

Posted on June 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jun 8 at 9:58 PM

Related:

* Star basketball player is subject of DISD probe

* More from News 8 Investigates

NEWS 8 INVESTIGATES

There are new questions about Tony Mitchell, the star basketball player from Pinkston High School.

Mitchell — who is now under investigation by the Dallas ISD — was named the top player in the city recently and is one of the top recruits in the country.

But News 8 has learned that there may be more academic problems for the athlete than first thought.

We first reported last week how Mitchell mysteriously went from being a freshman to a senior in just a matter of hours, and how he failed to graduate as scheduled last week.

Now there is a new mystery: How did school administrators let Tony Mitchell play basketball at Pinkston High School given his more than 100 unexcused absences?

Mitchell was headed to the University of Missouri next fall after being named Dallas "Player of the Year" by The Dallas Morning News.

But his collegiate career may be in doubt.

News 8 has already reported how Mitchell started the year as a 17-year-old freshman; and how after taking nine tests in just a few hours, he suddenly qualified as a senior.

Now this:

News 8 has obtained student attendance records that illustrate another problem. Soon after Tony Mitchell enrolled at Pinkston, he began accruing unexcused absences.

Day after day.

Week after week.

Mitchell's record shows 52 days with at least one unexcused absence — roughly one-third of the school year.

From the beginning of school for the next seven months, Mitchell missed 102 classes due to unexcused absences, many of them coming immediately after his basketball season ended the second week of March.

Yet Mitchell continued to play for Pinkston, and — up until a few weeks ago — News 8 has confirmed Principal Norma Villegas was working with Mitchell in preparation for graduation.

What's more, a student may be declared truant after 10 or more days of unexcused absences within a six-month period, or if there are three unexcused absences in one month.

The high number of absences also raises questions about Mitchell's eligibility to play basketball on a team he led to the regional playoffs for the first time in Pinkston's history.

Principal Villegas has declined to discuss the Mitchell situation with News 8, as have DISD administrators.

We do know that Mitchell's academic credits have become the focus of an internal investigation, but at this moment, there is no indication that his unexcused absences have been — or will be — addressed.

E-mail [email protected]

http://www.wfaa.com/news/investigates/Pink...--95826849.html

Records show star Pinkston player frequently absent

by BRETT SHIPP

WFAA

Related:

NEWS 8 INVESTIGATES

There are new questions about Tony Mitchell, the star basketball player from Pinkston High School.

Mitchell — who is now under investigation by the Dallas ISD — was named the top player in the city recently and is one of the top recruits in the country.

But News 8 has learned that there may be more academic problems for the athlete than first thought.

We first reported last week how Mitchell mysteriously went from being a freshman to a senior in just a matter of hours, and how he failed to graduate as scheduled last week.

Now there is a new mystery: How did school administrators let Tony Mitchell play basketball at Pinkston High School given his more than 100 unexcused absences?

Mitchell was headed to the University of Missouri next fall after being named Dallas "Player of the Year" by The Dallas Morning News.

News 8 has already reported how Mitchell started the year as a 17-year-old freshman; and how after taking nine tests in just a few hours, he suddenly qualified as a senior.

Now this:

News 8 has obtained student attendance records that illustrate another problem. Soon after Tony Mitchell enrolled at Pinkston, he began accruing unexcused absences.

Day after day.

Week after week.

Mitchell's record shows 52 days with at least one unexcused absence — roughly one-third of the school year.

From the beginning of school for the next seven months, Mitchell missed 102 classes due to unexcused absences, many of them coming immediately after his basketball season ended the second week of March.

Yet Mitchell continued to play for Pinkston, and — up until a few weeks ago — News 8 has confirmed Principal Norma Villegas was working with Mitchell in preparation for graduation.

What's more, a student may be declared truant after 10 or more days of unexcused absences within a six-month period, or if there are three unexcused absences in one month.

The high number of absences also raises questions about Mitchell's eligibility to play basketball on a team he led to the regional playoffs for the first time in Pinkston's history.

Principal Villegas has declined to discuss the Mitchell situation with News 8, as have DISD administrators.

We do know that Mitchell's academic credits have become the focus of an internal investigation, but at this moment, there is no indication that his unexcused absences have been — or will be — addressed.

E-mail [email protected]

"fuzzy math"

Athletes got preferrential treatment when I was in high school ---- and that was in the dark ages of the 1970's when dinosaurs roamed the earth and men were allowed to club a woman into marriage. The point here is not that its a Mizzou kid (coincidence) but the obvious fact that the school was certainly cheating the rules for whatever reason Principal Villegas saw fit. Maybe he's a big basketball fan, I don't know. But the school should be equally condemned here --- Villegas should be professionally castrated and Mitchell should be fully tested under intense, independent supervision. Then the NCAA "Clearinghouse" can actually have a real case to pursue in terms of gaining college eligibility. If the investigation rings true and the obvious misdeeds are proven, the Texas group should disband Pinkston sports, revoke Villegas' accreditations, and ban Mitchell from NCAA sports. Send him to the D League or Europe as advocated in another thread, he has no intention of going to school (college) other than to get to the "show." Normal rules obviously don't apply ---- grades, matriculkation, attendance, graduation, etc.

On the flip side, whomever at the station is pushing this investigative case may be doing so for the pure ideal of justice but I see someone having some sort of axe to grind here ---either against Mitchell, Villegas or Pinkston --- and the fuel for the fire is there.

Chances Mizzou actually sees this kid in Columbia? Chances the kid actually plays? I'm going with 50% on the first, 10% on the second.

Athletes got preferrential treatment when I was in high school ---- and that was in the dark ages of the 1970's when dinosaurs roamed the earth and men were allowed to club a woman into marriage. The point here is not that its a Mizzou kid (coincidence) but the obvious fact that the school was certainly cheating the rules for whatever reason Principal Villegas saw fit. Maybe he's a big basketball fan, I don't know. But the school should be equally condemned here --- Villegas should be professionally castrated and Mitchell should be fully tested under intense, independent supervision. Then the NCAA "Clearinghouse" can actually have a real case to pursue in terms of gaining college eligibility. If the investigation rings true and the obvious misdeeds are proven, the Texas group should disband Pinkston sports, revoke Villegas' accreditations, and ban Mitchell from NCAA sports. Send him to the D League or Europe as advocated in another thread, he has no intention of going to school (college) other than to get to the "show." Normal rules obviously don't apply ---- grades, matriculkation, attendance, graduation, etc.

On the flip side, whomever at the station is pushing this investigative case may be doing so for the pure ideal of justice but I see someone having some sort of axe to grind here ---either against Mitchell, Villegas or Pinkston --- and the fuel for the fire is there.

Chances Mizzou actually sees this kid in Columbia? Chances the kid actually plays? I'm going with 50% on the first, 10% on the second.

+1

If you remember, Backhand tutored CE to get his SAT score up for the NCAA when the situation looked bad....You are all welcome. But I'm not even sure Backhand can help this kid.

If you remember, Backhand tutored CE to get his SAT score up for the NCAA when the situation looked bad....You are all welcome. But I'm not even sure Backhand can help this kid.

what happened to those infamous workouts that the Backhand was supposed to conduct with members of our basketball team this summer??

what happened to those infamous workouts that the Backhand was supposed to conduct with members of our basketball team this summer??

Judging by your physique, I didnt think you needed to be included on backhand's newletter. They start July 5th in the quad. Bring your favorite creatine mix and PB&J.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/investigates/Pink...--95826849.html

Records show star Pinkston player frequently absent

by BRETT SHIPP

WFAA

Related:

NEWS 8 INVESTIGATES

Now this:

Day after day.

Week after week.

E-mail [email protected]

The Ferris Bueller of Pinkston High. I've seen it a million times, but on the flipside, they think he's a righteous dude.

Judging by your physique, I didnt think you needed to be included on backhand's newletter. They start July 5th in the quad. Bring your favorite creatine mix and PB&J.

Bachand you are amazing. You school these kids in their education so they can get in school and then you turn them into monsters with the malts that you feed them. when i grow up i want to be just like you and the Rican and Luca.

Bachand you are amazing. You school these kids in their education so they can get in school and then you turn them into monsters with the malts that you feed them. when i grow up i want to be just like you and the Rican and Luca.

eastsidehoe-

lets keep luca out of this. Also, bring your bar tab to section 108 next season. Backhand is drinking off you.

eastsidehoe-

lets keep luca out of this. Also, bring your bar tab to section 108 next season. Backhand is drinking off you.

Backhand, I don't quite understand. How are you going to be drinking off of me in Section 108 when you don't even go to any of the games? No comprende.

Backhand is getting his season tix. Someone not going to the game is about as loud as you are at Chafeitz. Disgrace. Get some heart.

whatever you say Backhand, you are my idol. Having you at Chavetz will lighten my day.