Recruiting

about last year's SIU game

Since when are we in the business of making excuses for the other team when we beat them. If many of you recall, the billikens had just spent five days in hawaii and played only one game before we played the Salukis. Out jet lag was just as bad and we weren't the same team either. Kevin was not a starter and tommie played only 19 minutes and wasn't a factor at all in the game.

Nobody was weeping tears for SLU when the Salukis hammered the bills by 26 points in c-dale the previous year.

you play the game when you play the game. We were a ton better in february than we were in november.

some of you act like this was the first time slu has ever beaten Southern Illinois in basketball and last year's 14-point win was somewhat of a fluke. go back and check the records and know your history. Over the past 15 years or so, SLU and SIU have pretty much played each other even. Hell, one year we beat a loaded SIU team in grawer's last year with a 5-23 team.

It's been a great rivaly over the years and I'm glad to see it continued. We beat them and they beat us. That trend will probably continue if the teams continue to play each other.

bad boyz for life

Amen, diddy. I don't know why, but it seems a lot of posters on this board would rather root for just about any other team than the Billikens. These same people talk about pathetic student support, poor marketing, bad coaching, poor players, etc. But if the chance comes to praise a valley school or a conference foe, they jump at it. I've noticed we receive a lot more respect on the A-10 board than we do in our own house. Go figure.

Right on Diddy. I am sick and tired for all of the love on this board all the MVC schools, SIU and MSU in paticular. Im glad that MSU din't make the tournament last year. I am glad that an assistant at SIU has been discovered to be among the guilty at Barton CC. I hope the NCAA wants to take a look at SIU and see if anything else is going on there. People these teams are the enemy. They recruit the same players that we do. They should be hated just as much as Mizzou, if not more.

Calm down pdiddy, that was not the point of my post. I was just indicating that our 14 point victory over SIU may not be indicative of the true state of the programs. I am not here to make excuses for SIU, I was just saying that the win against SIU was not really a quality win at the time and that was not the same SIU that you saw later in the season. The same can be said about us, we had not reached are fullest potential at that point either. I made no comments like the win was a fluke and that SLU beating SIU is a shocker so I dont know where all that bs came from in your post. I will take any win, but I am not going to sit here and brag that we are much better team than SIU because we beat them by 14 last year. If I was a fan of Alaska-Anchorage I would not be saying that we are a better team than SIU just because we beat them last season.

I know what you're saying, but you conviently left out the other half of the story. I'm just saying that any attempt to downplay a nice win against a quality opponent will be rejected in dikembe mutombo fashion. I wag my finger at you.

Later in the season, we won at Charlotte, at Xavier at took GW into OT on their home court. Whey you saw what SIU did the rest of the season. It makes our win even more impressive.

Northern Iowa won at LSU early last season. LSU was struggling a little at the time, but they weren't in march when they went to the Final Four. I don't think northern Iowa fans cared one bit when they played LSU or what the state of their program at the time. what they know is that they beat lsu on the road.

We weren't a very good team when we played SIU either. In fact, rarely are we a good team in November and early december. That's been a big problem with us. How frustrating has it been to lose home games like Tn. Martin at home in November, then beat No. 2 Louisville ane win in Cincinnati in February in '03. The difference in that SIU game was Ian. If we play them at home in February, Ian is still 6'10" 270 and a beast around the basket. IN the game before SIU played us, Tatum scored 37 points. and after our game, the Salukis won their next 12 or 13 games, only losing at Northern Iowa in overtime.

I expect to beat SIU at home every time we play them whether they are at the top of their game or struggling. Just like, they expect to win every game with us in carbondale. It doesn't always work out that way, but the home team has won most of the games.

As I said before, you play the games when they are scheduled.

Unless injuries are a big issue, if a team whips us, I'll just say we got our butts kicked pretty good, instead of some namby-pamby reasons.

bad boyz for life