Is there a problem with college basketball?

SLUWX

I found this quote by OJ Mayo quite disturbing...

"Coach (Tim) Floyd has been an NBA coach and at the next level, and the city of Los Angeles is a great marketing city," Mayo said. "Hopefully, if everything goes well, I can market myself better for the next level."

So it's all about marketing now... great. What are the chances of Southern Cal coming out of this thing with NCAA sanctions?

.. or so its said. All one has to do is watch some of the crap out there to know that the situation described above is not to be seen as anyhting new. You've seent he ESPN or whatever documentary on Sebastian Telfair. There is nothing different about that versus this. The onyl reason OJ Mayo is going to college is because, due to the new NBA rules, he has to. And all he has to do is go for one semester because as long as he gets the prerequisite grades for eligiblity come his first semster, he can blow the second semester out of the water and fail all his classes because he is one-and-done.

As I recall, the Blazers drafted Telfair because he had "street cred." The boyz in the hood were already on to him and that would "sell" -- sell tickets, sell team paraphanailia, sell whatever. Now, of course, he's in Boston. Read where Charlie Villaneuva is out for six weeks hurt from the Milwaukee Bucks. I thought he was a Raptor. These kids are into the NBA so quickly that frankly I don't care. The difference remains that in college, the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back, althought that's starting to be infringed upon as well. Its only a matter of time. I'm still into the old ways and will take college over pro ball anytime.

Pretty soon, you'll see like we did in the first pro Olympics wehre Jordan or whomever had to wear the flag over his apparel emblem because he was under exclusive contract to the guys not outfitting the Olympic team. Who;s going to be the first college player to sign to wear Nike's when the team is outfitted by Reebok? I know you can't do that now, but loopholes are us.

Donovan McNabb just came out with his own clothing line. That crap on ESPN, the one about the And1 tour where some loudmouth idiot jogs up and down the court trash talking while guys break all the basketball rules just so they can throw down dunks on one another is to basketball what the WWE is to wrestling. Far, far too much disposable income in this world right now and far too much TV programming ... oops, got to go, battling dominoes is on ESPN69 (ESPN96 for those needing to hear it in Hi-Def-Jam Chechnian/Slobovik).

Oj will make many good contacts while at USC. It's a glamour school with celebs as fans. USC's tv time is bound to go up so there are shots of Nicholson, DeVito, Fonzie in Maroon and Gold. This is why he selected USC. So his first sneaker contract approaches the altitude level of LeBron's. Good move on his part. Still, what's it going to do for USC. Is he Carmello Anthony good who can lead them to a national title? Maybe, that will certainly be the expectation. It's the way it is these days...glamour before substance, me before team (there is an m and an e in team), and big money is bliss.

the subject line of this thread is a riot!

maybe this revelation is life-alteringly real for some on this board, but I must say that it seems pretty painfully obvious to me. SLU is a fine school, very good coaches, family style atmosphere with no recent arrests, etc., yet we lose recruits to Huggins, Sampson, and the like.

What could it be!?? GASP! could there be something wrong with college basketball!!???

All those plus factors, don't mean a damn thing to a kid whose been blinded by the bright lights of the NBA. Our chances of landing a top 50 recruit right now are slim to none. Hell, we couldn't haven't landed any in the top 150 the past two years. We've got to find ours in the rough so to say, and hope we can develop their skills, team chemistry, and experience to be a top 50 program. Become a consistent winner, then you may land a few.

The corruption of college athletics starts at the top. I posted on the Mason Nation item in the Sun today, here's our local Bernie guy commenting on the NCAAs in light of tomorrow's OSU/Michigan "Game of the Century." Another interesting take on things.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp....orts-columnists

that is a good article, thanks. yes, $$$ is such a major factor in all of this that we might as well be honest and say it is now THE major incentive/motivation--at least for many.

$535 million a year for CBS to broadcast the tournament! I have heard that before, of course, but somehow it really sank in when I read that article! And if you want fruther proof, go to the brand new, multi-million $$ complex the NCAA has built to itself in downtown Indianapolis-- tlalk about erecting a sacred memorial to oneself. It is like the Vatican of "amateur" sports, a great pyramid to the illusion that this is all "non-profit."

this observation that $$ is now THE major incentive/motivation, if true, has far-reaching implications in "amateur" sports like college basketball, but many want to deny it. so we rent Glory Road, Hoosiers, or The Natural and try to remember those pristine days when it was all about competition, honor, and so forth.

The love of money is the root of all evil. that's from the New Testament. Notice that it says the love of money, and not just money. The old Pink Floyd song got that part wrong.