My dream 2007 recruiting class based on unsigned player

VTIME

Leon Powell 6'7 PF/SF 22.9ppg 10.3 rebs, 3.5blks (Vashon)

Rodney Ford 6'5 PG 15ppg 8asts, 6.5 rpg, 3blks, 2stls (Affton)

Paul Eckerle 6'1 SG 27ppg (Borgia) **Luke Meyer's cousin

Sam Pearson 6'2 PG/SG 22ppg 4asts (Hazelwood Central

Rodney Ford is a steal. He is a true pg. You can pair him with a small sg like Eckerle, Pearson, or even Kramer. He would keep SLU from having to be afraid to recruit litte scoring guards, because he can play pg on offense and guard the 1, 2 or 3 on defense.

>I would add Chris Stokes to that list also....and I wish we

>would of shown Harrelson some interest before he decided on

>Western Illinois....

Cant really argue with Stokes. He's the real deal, he just never grew. I think Rodney Ford can be better than Mardy Collins was though.

>Didn't you or someone else here say that we're recruiting

>Ford, or am I thinking of someone from another smaller

>school (Maplewood?).

You are thinking of Allen from Maplewood. Havent heard anything about SLU recruiting Ford, but I wish I did.

Neither Ford nor Pearson can play D1 basketball. They have both been evaluated playing in the summer against D1 talent in Sam's case and less than D1 talent in Ford's case and neither one could represent. Now in Sam's defense I think he could play low level D1, but I think he could have a really good D2 career.

>Neither Ford nor Pearson can play D1 basketball. They have

>both been evaluated playing in the summer against D1 talent

>in Sam's case and less than D1 talent in Ford's case and

>neither one could represent. Now in Sam's defense I think

>he could play low level D1, but I think he could have a

>really good D2 career.

I'll stand by Ford. Pearson is questionnable, but this isnt the summer anymore and he's playing at a level he's never played at before. He's not much of a risk and is a good backup plan for Eckerle. You can't average 20ppg for a good team against good competition without being very good. You have to remember that in the spring most of the guys left are low level guys, and Eckerle is my first choice as a guard, but Pearson isnt as bad as you are making him out to be or someone would've stopped him by now.

>>Leon Powell 6'7 PF/SF 22.9ppg 10.3 rebs, 3.5blks (Vashon)<<

We need Powell badly after losing Dixon and Obi (assume Obi not coming back). Given our past troubles in recruting JUCOs and getting them admitted, I would not want to all our PF eggs in that basket for next season.

i have seen this type of comment a few times and imo powell is not a true pf. he is more of a combo forward.

And Luke Meyer is a guard, but he plays the power forward on defense and has helped the team win 10 out of its first 14 games. David Robinson was about Powell's height, and he played the center position on defense for the two best Billiken teams in recent history. Robinson was really a "combo forward." Jeff Harris was a small forward who played power forward for the Bills. Powell is taller than Harris.

If Powell becomes a Billiken and plays defense primarily against power forwards and his teams win (i.e., reach the NCAA Tournament at least three times), then why should we care that he's more of a small forward than a "prototypical" power forward?

Powell wont try and just repeatedly outmuscle a bigger guy. He uses his superior quickness to beat you off the bounce and uses runners with either hand. He uses his footwork to gain advantage and is good at drawing fouls. He's a slashing pf, that can hit the open shot if you choose to respect his speed and lay off of him. He is adept at scoring over bigger stronger players including AJ Steward, a Kentucky commit that Powell outplayed in a tournament over the summer. Here's the link and the portion of on Leon Powell

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=539400

Sleepers emerge

A handful of Big 12 programs are recruiting junior power forward Leon Powell (6-6) and he showed why immediately. The prep star from national power Vashon High (St. Louis) outplayed some of the nation's top players in head-to-head battles, including the Tallahassee Wildcats' A.J. Stewart (Ranked No. 77 in the class of 2007).

Powell, who plays with an aggressive streak, used his strength and athleticism to give Stewart problems on the inside and scored 16 points to lead the Saint Louis Game Face to a 54-53 comeback win. He made a handful of big plays down the stretch, including a left-handed hook shot that gave his team the lead for good with less than two minutes left. He added 20 more points in a loss to the Atlanta Celtics Gold team.

Powell runs the court extremely well and has developed a solid jumper. He is very active around the basket and a solid rebounder as well.

Kansas, Illinois, Missouri are all pursuing Powell. He recently received his first offer from Bradley.

>i have seen this type of comment a few times and imo powell

>is not a true pf. he is more of a combo forward.

(a) we lost two supposed PFs from our team plus will lose another to graduation this year, (B) we didn't sign anybody during the early signing period meaning we have to fill this hole during the spring, and © we are starting 6'5" Luke Meyer at PF. So how can one realistically look down his nose at Powell and say he's really a combo forward (a backhanded way of saying this guy can't help us at PF)? And if Powell is too small to be a useful PF, then why are we reportedly recruiting this JUCO (identical size to Powell)--

http://www.trcc.cc.mo.us/sports1/menshoops/Griskenas.htm

At least Powell could be expected to put on weight over a 4 year career.

jj, powell hasnt played at the level he will have to play if he comes to slu. the european has likely seen at least close to that level both overseas and at the juco level.

when powell gets the experience he will likely be fine. all i am saying is that i would be shocked to see leon powell come in from day one and be our starting power forward.

No one is asking him to start. Luke is the starter. He'll be ask to provide 5-10 minutes of play so Luke doesnt have to go the whole way. What level are you talking about he hasnt played at? Are you talking about outplaying a Kentucky commit like I posted earlier or getting invited to the Nike Camp? What level are you referring to? He's having a monster year. He's the highest scoring Vashon player since McKinney. That was 5 years ago.