I awake hoarse but happy this morning.....

alameda bob

after arriving home late last night after a near 200 mile round trip to the alumni party and game. I really enjoyed meeting Jim Dailey, who played for SLU from 58 to 60. He was from Joplin and still is at his playing weight of 160 lbs. He lives in Fresno now and told me it has been 40 years since he has seen the Bills play in person. He & several teammates have bought 3 bricks. He was a very nice guy when I told him, Wow, you guarded Oscar Robertson! He said nobody guarded the Big O. He said he was not only the best offensive player he ever saw but also the best defender. He gets back to Joplin and KC where his daughter lives and also visits SL and was there in October.

It was also nice to meet Earl Austin, Jr. & Bob Ramsey after they finished working the game. By the way the game was great. We saw some players and I asked them what the coach said at halftime to make them look like a different bunch, and they said "nothing much" which really puzzeled me. Then I read that #5 Johnson hurt his back in the second half and still played 30 mins but Kevin played him tough and he didn't score after intermission.

By the way we all agreed the "Qwick Change" halftime show was sensational.

I was impressed with IV, except for his behind the back pass, 1 of 5 TOs. He has a nice touch with both hands, but looks a little slow afoot. Only 8 guys played, the end of the bench handles the 6 stools for time outs.

Things at SLU will change big time when the new gym is built. Stockton's richest citizen A. G. Spanos helped pay for the Tigers home and several other buildings on a pretty campus in a crummy town. My attorney friend who went to the UOP law school in Sacramento says the private undergrad is not that well regarded academically, but has a finishing school reputation, and very high tuition.

It was a great night meeting new friends, other posters like Bay Area Bill, and a win. We all agreed with our hostess Meg, from the alumni office we want more games in the Bay Area. There are 6 D1 teams here for the Bills to schedule, though Brad probably doesn't want to play his old friend Randy at SMC. I'm looking for a place to watch the UNC game on TV out here if my Comcast cable doesn't put it on.