Congrats on the Win

CougarRed

Will be pulling for the Bills the rest of the way.

Hard to believe it finished 81-78 after we spotted you a 14-0 start of the game and a 13-0 start of the second half.

FYI - in addition to Dion Dowell and Lanny Smith, we were missing Marcus Malone who scored 25 at Rhode Island, making 6 threes. He is at home with a stomach virus.

Enjoy your win. I may be biased, but I will be shocked if we don't return the favor in Houston when we are at full strength.

Hard to believe we only won by 3 after allowing you to save face and easing up.

You didn't spot us anything. I guess your runs were great playing by you and ours were poor playing by you.

Only because it's good for the rpi ... I'll be pulling for you also.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Cougar,

That's what you get with 2 running teams. A game of streaks and runs. Your offensive rebounding killed us today. We shot 49% to your 33% I believe, but you guys attempted 20 more shots. Thanks a lot for the in depth scouting report and I'll look forward to a return visit prior to our next matchup. Good luck in CUSA, and keep the wins coming (aside from Jan. 29 of course).

> Hard to believe we only won by 3 after allowing you to

>save face and easing up.

>

> You didn't spot us anything. I guess your runs were great

>playing by you and ours were poor playing by you.

Of course we played poorly during your runs. Didn't you play poorly during A&M's runs?

We went 0-10 to start the game, and 0-8 to start the second half. To your credit, you took advantage of our poor shooting.

As far as saving face, gimme a break. What are you, five?

At least Houston covered the spread, which was Saint Louis -4.5 when I last checked a couple hours before game time.

Looking forward to the rematch. We know that it will be hard to get into the dance with 2 losses to Saint Louis. We can chalk this loss up to an early season road test without 3 of our best players.

We won't have any excuses next time.

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

I don't think we can talk smack here. I'm happy for the win, and, while I think we could win there, a 3 pt loss would still be a good showing for us. Now if this was NC, I'd give you all the room...

read your own statement

Hard to believe it finished 81-78 after we spotted you a 14-0 start of the game and a 13-0 start of the second half.

Maybe what you meant to say was after we got off to a 14-0 start. Not after you spotted us the 14-0 start.

And from listening to the game on the radio and from Brad's comments, I don't think we played poorly during your 2nd half run. I think you guys played exceptionally well.

I'd be happy to settle this from my viewpoint at the game. Love Tommy Penders, true gym rat, and he is great for the game. Problem with Tommy Penders is his teams though always athletic, make poor decisions all too often,every stop he has been. Houston does not currently have the talent to overcome those poor decisions. I have no doubt that talent level will go up with Penders' recruiting ability, and he will win there, but also lose games he should win too.

Houston settled for way to many early deep jumpers before settling in to take the ball to the basket more off of the wing. SLU is much more disciplined, less athletic by a lot. SLU opened strongly and ready to play, knocking down three's off of the extra pass. Where was the scouting report from UH? Guarding Lisch on three's. He had all day to shoot too often.

UH got back into the game with a 2-2-1 zone press. It forces strong decisions, and break finishing, SLU did neither in the first half. UH was much quicker to every loose ball and put back. Instead of physically dominating the boards, Voyoukas was pillow soft. UH out quicked and outhustled SLU the entire first half and late in the game. In between SLU was better in the half court.

UH didn't press as much in 2nd half and when they did SLU made the adjustment finishing the break. Maybe that is why Penders backed off of it more in 2nd half? I would have mixed some other traps in there because other than Lisch who played very well and makes intellignent decisions, I would pressure ANY other SLU guard all day. Polk may be quick but his decision-making is average at best under pressure. The rest below that.

Shocked UH couldn't make an adjustment for Lisch even just a little to force someone else to beat them, or they win the game going away. Credit of course to Lisch and SLU for getting him the ball in various places at various times.

The much more athletic team lost to a more disciplined team, a team that had just enough ability to finish breaks to hang on for a win. Certainly nothing for either team to get excited about...perhaps UH because they were missing three starters but played wire to wire on road.

I really don't care what SLU's annoucners said, they are biased, period.

SLU desperately needs more than Lisch and Liddell to make jump to next level. Voyoukas' play is declining, some nice and perhaps lucky tips at best, horrible FT shooting, catches ball way too far from basket for his size, needs to work much harder on positioning in the post, and using his body to his advantage, and finishing much much stronger in his play. Has potential, but after all of this time, surprised he isn't better than this. Plays way too slow, and smaller than he is. As I said, Lisch and Liddell are players, but that is all SLU has on this team, perhaps an inconsistent Voyoukas flash. They need a talent upgrade even at role player positions to go to next step in the process of getting better.

Penders almost stole one on athleticism(and frankly this is one of least athletic Penders team I have seen in long time)...that just shouldn't happen anymore. Big teams will push SLU around inside, and smaller quicker teams will give them lots of trouble with athleticism. The teams in the middle that play half court, SLU will handle.

One good class isn't going to get it done. Need another, one at worst every other year, to advance to another level...to get over the hump. Gotta have two classes.

Ian seemed to play closer to the basket and stronger last year. I'm not sure why the change. He can definately shoot free throws better, but as noted he is playing with a broken finger I believe. I wouldn't judge Ian on the last 2 games.

Even on a day where he was 3-12 from the line he finished with 16-12.