Powell scores 24 in debut

VTIME

... Vashon kid dominates lesser opponents. Vashon wins. Vashon moves on to another (hypothetically) state title. Vashon kid "graduates." Vashon kid disappears off national radar.

Nate Lasch says he heard Earl Austin claim Powell has a SLU offer. Earl Austin says it to others on this board. Mosely says Leon is dying to play at SLU. Others claim Leon is at West Pine Gym a lot. Yet, no letter of intent? Now "others" are talking in Leon's ear. I'll say its the same old, same old.

Still a top one hundred recruit remains unlocked up. Why oh why is that? No one. Nada. Zip. Not a single taker? Walks like a duck ...

>... Vashon kid dominates lesser opponents. Vashon wins.

>Vashon moves on to another (hypothetically) state title.

>Vashon kid "graduates." Vashon kid disappears off national

>radar.

>

>Nate Lasch says he heard Earl Austin claim Powell has a SLU

>offer. Earl Austin says it to others on this board. Mosely

>says Leon is dying to play at SLU. Others claim Leon is at

>West Pine Gym a lot. Yet, no letter of intent? Now

>"others" are talking in Leon's ear. I'll say its the same

>old, same old.

>

>Still a top one hundred recruit remains unlocked up. Why oh

>why is that? No one. Nada. Zip. Not a single taker?

>Walks like a duck ...

There'a a lot of Div 1 players on that list of lesser opponents. Where are you getting this not a single taker stuff from? He got an offer from Bradley way back in April. Its all just hearsay until someone puts it in writing that Brad offered SLU. Since so many people on here are best buds with Earl. Get a subscription on his site earlaustinjr.com and show me the article where it says Saint Louis University has offered Leon Powell. Everyone has said that he's been at Powell's games at Vashon, Powell was a fixture at West Pine during the spring and the summer. He obviously wants to come and SLU obviously wants him. I dont know whether he has a SLU offer or not, but the Post article makes me wonder. Anyway, there could several reasons why he didnt sign if Brad did offer.

1. Brad could be planning to use him at pf and he sees that 3 of the current pf's are only freshman.

2. Someone is Leon's ear telling him either to not sign with SLU or to go on some visits first and then if SLU is still where his heart is, then go to SLU.

3. He and Brad could both be waiting on the ACT scores.

4. He's focused adjusting to playing for a new coach who is demanding his full attention as he's implementing a system of plays he learned while playing in college and the pros, and wont play guys who cant grasp it. That could be a HUGE reason why his recruitment is being put on the backburner as he has to focus on the task at hand first.

Ultimately, I believe Powell will end up at SLU. He's been thought of as a Div player since his sophomore year, and he knew all he had to do was qualify. He's either qualified or he will qualify, because he's not gonna let grades stop him after all the hard work the staff put into him, including handing him the reigns to the team as a sophomore, when he really wasnt ready to lead the team, as evidenced by his performance against Hansbrough. He also stayed home from the Western Illinois team camp that Vashon went on to play at West Pine instead. That speaks volumes. I was at Vashon-Beaumont game and I saw Brad watch the entire second quarter, and I watched Leon score 10 that quarter. Plus, having SLU's all-time leading scorer, rebounder, and steals guy as his head coach can only help SLU's cause. Now I do think Brad offered Leon late, about a year late, but I think he'll still get him.

... comes from the fact that the signing period has come and gone and he's still available. That to me is not a single taker. I have seen the various lists of upcoming high school graduates and for most of them, Leon Powell is listed. I think I've seen him as high as the 60's but 70's and lower seem to stick more. In any case, I am giving him his due and noting that I have seen him listed.

But he has ONE offer?!?!? One .. Bradley. For argument's sake, let's say that Brad has NOT offered. So he has one offer. That's one single offer. No others. How can a kid, listed in some top 100 circles, have one and only one offer? A talent that good? A talent you say is the best in the entire St. Louis metro area? Nevermind the fact that he's turning down a Sweet Sixteen program by the way in snubbing Bradley ... the only school that has welcomed him from the time they made the still one and only offer. Here's a whole boat load of love being laid on the guy and he's not taking it?

My youngest kid is a junior in high school and is late in taking the ACT. I should have had her take it last year. But it will be done and over with next week. Leon hasn't taken the ACT yet? Or is waiting on the scores? Seems like really bad timing, I mean what with getting used to a new coach and all that. I'd thunk he'd done that over the summer even when there was little if any secondary pressure to worry about then. But that's me.

Kid just ain't qualified if you ask me. No one would let this much talent sit around and dangle in the wind this time of year.

Also, if Mike Anderson wants to close the borders and recruiting in state is one of his priorities, how come he hasn't even offered either. Strange. Yes, vey strange. Top available player in state and even the state U. hasn't offered.

Strange indeed, Taj Mahal '79. Ok, Bradley offered but no other MVC school, especially the area ones. We don't know officially if we've offered or not. I'm thinking the deal here is with Mizzery. Anderson's put it in his ear if he qualifies and has a good senior season, he'll offer and Powell will be a Tiger. Strange situation all around.

>... comes from the fact that the signing period has come and

>gone and he's still available. That to me is not a single

>taker. I have seen the various lists of upcoming high

>school graduates and for most of them, Leon Powell is

>listed. I think I've seen him as high as the 60's but 70's

>and lower seem to stick more. In any case, I am giving him

>his due and noting that I have seen him listed.

>

>But he has ONE offer?!?!? One .. Bradley. For argument's

>sake, let's say that Brad has NOT offered. So he has one

>offer. That's one single offer. No others. How can a kid,

>listed in some top 100 circles, have one and only one offer?

> A talent that good? A talent you say is the best in the

>entire St. Louis metro area? Nevermind the fact that he's

>turning down a Sweet Sixteen program by the way in snubbing

>Bradley ... the only school that has welcomed him from the

>time they made the still one and only offer. Here's a whole

>boat load of love being laid on the guy and he's not taking

>it?

>

>My youngest kid is a junior in high school and is late in

>taking the ACT. I should have had her take it last year.

>But it will be done and over with next week. Leon hasn't

>taken the ACT yet? Or is waiting on the scores? Seems like

>really bad timing, I mean what with getting used to a new

>coach and all that. I'd thunk he'd done that over the

>summer even when there was little if any secondary pressure

>to worry about then. But that's me.

>

>Kid just ain't qualified if you ask me. No one would let

>this much talent sit around and dangle in the wind this time

>of year.

>

>Also, if Mike Anderson wants to close the borders and

>recruiting in state is one of his priorities, how come he

>hasn't even offered either. Strange. Yes, vey strange. Top

>available player in state and even the state U. hasn't

>offered.

Anderson only has one scholarship available. Now he could take Lawrence, Carroll, and his son off scholarship, but he may choose not to. Secondly, we dont know if he only has one offer, its just that Bradley is the only one we are sure of. Also, you should be more concerned that the signing period has come and gone and Brad hasnt signed anyone than the fact that it has come and gone and Powell hasnt signed with anyone. Most likely he's focusing on the upcoming season with his new coach and new system. He appears to be getting all the shots he wants thus far. He could be the first Vashon player to average 20 since Mckinney

How do we know he has only one offer? Is this a matter of public record that a person can go out and confirm the offers a student has?

Powell may have 100 offers or none. He may have taken the ACT or not. He may have great grades or not. All of this is pure speculation unless you are Powell or his parents. That said, maybe we should stick to evaluating his basketball skills and where he would fit on the Billikens over the next four years. At least those are things we are all well qualifed to discuss...;-)

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

he has only one offer? Is this a

>matter of public record that a person can go out and confirm

>the offers a student has?

>

>Powell may have 100 offers or none. He may have taken the

>ACT or not. He may have great grades or not. All of this

>is pure speculation unless you are Powell or his parents.

>That said, maybe we should stick to evaluating his

>basketball skills and where he would fit on the Billikens

>over the next four years. At least those are things we are

>all well qualifed to discuss...;-)

>

>"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands

>up for others." - Ben

I agree. His attributes fit every system. He's high energy, can score without having plays run for him, defends well inside and out, runs the floor well and is nifty around the basket, using his speed to beat bigger guys off the dribble and length on smaller on defenders. He's also got good touch from the perimeter, but probably wont force it unless he's open.