1-0 NU over SLU

moytoy12

As for the style and I'm talking about the last 3 years. It is not the style ... I don't care what style we play as long as it fits our team. It doesn't ... and the results aren't very good. I know this was a 2nd round loss, but you and I know both know that was a gift as the 11th seed was unwarrented besides the fact we were the final 4 host.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I also have enjoyed and been impressed by the writing of SLUBALLS and Courtside here...and I tend to agree with the Donigan supporters.

I think running him out of town isn't that great of an idea here...first, who is going to replace him? Are there any college soccer coaches of perennial National Championship caliber on the market? Probably not, because Indiana, SMU, Maryland and Santa Clara have them locked up. We won about 67% (sorry, inexact because it came off the top of my head) of our games this year, plus 2 (?) ties. Damn good ratio.

We got beat by one of the best shots I have EVER seen. The ball was so far into the upper 90 that it hit both the post and the bar. It started outside of the frame and tailed back in; the ball crossed the line 8 feet in the air and 4 yards to the side of center of the goal...I'd challenge anybody to get up there off of a slide-step and a jump.

As far as the game went, the tactics seemed to work. Balls off of the back line were more effective than usual, Dado tore apart the NU right back, and Matteson had his chances. We just didn't finish.

Finding a high school kid to finish on the college level is harder than filling any other roster spot. You can teach a kid to be a shutdown defender, goalkeeper, midfielder or possession player, but teaching someone how to finish is incredibly difficult. Just like being a top-quality rebounder on the basketball floor, finishing is just something that some players have. Landing a McBride, Ching, Twellman, Ibisevic or Selolwane out of high school is hard enough. Keeping that talent for four years can often be impossible.

All in all, I don't understand the merit of hanging the coaching staff for this one. Would a big change help or hurt our current recruiting? How many of our players would leave? Would a change encourage someone planning on staying to declare for the MLS draft?

Hopefully, the best decision for the team is made.

sorry, I new that there were three posters in there, then after-effects the $1 PBR night at Humphrey's kicked in, and I couldn't remember anything.

Skip, I am impressed, even though I don't completely agree. I do enjoy dialogue with competent people...rather than those who just those who scream HANG HIM IN THE GALLOWS!!!

I thought the 11th seed was generous, and said so at the time. SLU was in serious competition for a top 16 seed. Maybe yes maybe no. on the bubble...so not too far off. If you take away the ACC, SLU can could play with a lot of teams out there, in a lot of leagues imo.

We can talk style. It has been a hybrid imo. What is it that you don't like. Styles also change depending on personnel.

It's not that I don't like the style as much as the way it fits our personell. We are constantly playing the ball long down the middle after knocking it around between our mids and backs ... then we bang it long and rarely, and I mean rarely win the long ball. If it's not that, it is a run down the wing and a cross that we can't knock in. We don't have the size or the strength up there. I think we'd be better off playing the ball shorter ... more possesion and more through balls on the ground down the middle. I don't mind the wings ... but we need to try and cut it in sooner and attack the middle of the field. Dado trys but he wants to carry it all the way by himself. I know Johnny D has one of the best crosses in the game but as pretty and well placed as he puts the ball we can't do anything with it. The proof is in our shots as opposed to goals ratio. We get shots but not great ones. For example yesterday we had 14 and never really seriously challenged there keeper.

Let me take the last thing first because I disagree. Plenty of times I would agree with you the past couple of seasons, but not yesterday. Speiss was in alone naked with the keeper. Johnny D was robbed on a sprawling save in first half. His reaction of frustration priceless. Matteson had two decent opportunities with the keeper. Many others weren't seriously challeneged...but those are a lot I mentioned in one game.

I understand and agree with your frustrations. Problem is SLU doesn't have the personnel for one particular style in general. I do not mind playing the ball wide with overlap runs....problem is TARGET forward. SLU has none who can play with his back to the goal 18 yards out. First touches are not good enough at this level up front. Casey Speiss won head ball after head ball after head ball yesterday. But he is alone up there for that. SLU does not possess enough hold the ball midfielders moving forward offensively to play yet another intrical hybrid interior passing game, and obviously no high skilled dribblers with speed and precision, a few...for a more Brazilian style etc...

There is a reason I pointed out SLU's record when falling behind. Sure SLU came back against St. Bonnies or Xavier both home games etc...but when they got down against SMU..they panicked it blew open on mistakes. SLU didn't panic yesterday...but did you notice how right before and right after NU's goal SLU had a barrage of high quality near misses...but late first half...you could feel them think about it...uh oh here we go again...the pressed hard in 2nd half, but many long balls were forced, as SLU under the pressure of a big game changed their style of play.

Skip, I went to the SLUH Chaminde playoff game this year, two best teams in state...terrific first half...but both teams got tight in 2nd half, nerves, tired, etc...and it became long ball fest.

It takes a team with superior finishers, guys who can hold the ball up top with no fear. Guys who get shots on goal, etc...SLU just needs a couple.

SLU plays so much different when they score first, even against elite teams, knocking the ball around with confidence, flare, etc...this year's team struggled mightily in big games when playing from behind. Got away from their game, when chances don't go in due to inferior finishing of great plays. It gets into your head.

If that game stays 0-0 til 2nd half or ot, 100% confidence SLU would win.

They simply need a stud scorer who even if doesn't finish, eludes confidence in the team, makes the backline play more comfortably thinking, hey we don't have to be perfect, we can relax, take chances etc...and not play defensive.

That is what I think.

1 question for you ... simple answer yes or no. Not a discussion on what it takes or even can it be done at all.

Do you think DD can elevate SLU to a level where anything less than sweet 16 is a bad year?

Great posts by everyone. I'm more of a casual fan, but enjoy going to the games, except for yesterday. You all provide a great education on the finer points to look for.

It is also refreshing to read a thread where everyone concentrates on the sport rather than throw mud at other posters because they disagree with them.

Last point, and I think skip brought it up, I too thought there was a practice field. It sits between Hermann and Parks, west of the garage. It was carefully built with good drainage and is protected from foot traffic. The only question is whether or not it is full size.

Yes it is the same green space, but it is rather inadequate for a top 5 program don't you think? Or a top 16 as Skip suggests annual program? Is a regulation size full length practice field too much to ask? I know "bad" programs with at least that. The reason I mentioned it was to point out SLU doesn't have the market corned on best soccer facilities. I at least can say with informed opinion what other programs are doing. I don't like posters, not Skip of couse but the random SLU has the best facilities in the country. Or the at SLU we should be top 5 program every year, with nothing to back it up.

For Skip, what do I think? Well my answer would be I don't know. I would think NCAA would go to 64 teams soon, from 48, no more byes. Gotta win 2 in post-season every year is tough if that happens. Not a one word answer. I would be more comfortable had DD been a HC, but DD has 6 years in of learning. And he has Sorbs with him too. Sorbs' dad sure knows how to coach. I am hopeful, not 100% sold of yes definite he can and will, no. But I believe right now, only a superstar proven head coach could come in and make want to give the job to someone other than DD. DD would have to fail more for me. If he misses NCAA's next year I would relent. If SLU has one and done's next two years, I would relent. He is not getting free ride with me, and I have been very critical of him at times. If he fails I want a quicker hook, no question. But if next year and year after produces Viviano's and Ream's etc...I am hopeful. Best answer I got.

Not many teams make sweet 16 most years. Even the great ones mix in shorter runs. Do I think DD can lead SLU to National title or Final Four, yes I do. Or I would want him gone. But, but, he could slide next year and be done. And I would be fine with that if warranted. The next 1-2 years will define him as a continuing a long time, or being done at SLU. He knows he's gotta get two deeper NCAA runs next two years to last. If he does it, fine, if not he is out, fine.

But Skip, I do understand the want and desire to be an elite beast year in and year out. I would like that too. SLU needs to do their part for him too. This is the same school that finally allowed the first ever full time assistant coach not too long ago in DD for Warming. If the school steps it up too, then I am on board.

I have heard from sports mkting friends that realtions between SLU and NCAA for College Cup have been icy to bad. I will try to find out more specifics and report, but a trusted friend told me that SLU is not putting itself in position from school AD Dept standpoint to host any time soon again. Do not have or know any more specifics and this may very well be nothing...but I trust my source, and I will seek specifics, as I know nothing. Unless I hear something more, I won't have anything to say about it. These are high dollar NCAA sports marketing guys. Hope it is nothing.

Sorry for the long answer, which in short is cautiously yes reserving right to admit being wrong next year or year after. But gotta believe in something. I have no ties to Dan. I freakin know Brad S. But no ties to DD, other than club ball stuff and common friends, but don't know why but I have a feeling about DD. Goin with the gut.

Appreciate the answer and if I felt that way ... I'd agree.

I will also say I am not 100% for him going. I said at the beginning I was on the fence ... so I would say I am 60-40 and won't be terribly upset and a basher if he stays and I am sure he will. Also even if the decision was mine to make ... I wouldn't change just to change ... I'd have to have a pretty solid idea of where I wanted to go and have the groundwork laid to get it done. I also have no knowledge of what SLU pays or is willing to pay and how that compares with the top coaches.

I will support DD as long as he is the coach ... what it boils down to is that I am notch below you in my belief that DD can get it done. I know only a handful of teams accomplish what I think we should be doing ... SLU needs to be in that handful.

thanks for the great debates

I really am not locked in to what DD makes, and wouldn't want to guess wrong. It is obviously low six figures. Where? Not sure. I know of some other coaches coaching in very similar school environments to SLU, size type of school etc...making right at $100k, before bonuses or perks. And those schools do NOT, repeat not have SLU's level of team, not close. I know some coaches at tiny budget but traditionally good soccer schools...would be like a UNC Greensboro, but not them...don't wanna name the school or coach...making $60k before perks. Big ACC and Big Ten program coaches I would imagine do the best. much higher than these.

It certainly can be done. John Trask at UIC...almost 10 year IU assistant, in his what 2nd or 3rd season, had good year. He did it in Chicago, big city with mostly local kids. SLU could field an NCAA team with mostly local kids, but I get concerned how many top quality kids want to stay home, because STL isn't that big of market. Chicago has so many solid players, no more solid than STL, they just have more of them. Soccer as you know is good everywhere now. If SLU ever did make a change, I would like to see a hungry coach that is doing what Trask is doing, assistant at top program, then does extremely well with previously nothing program, then gets a SLU gig. Or someone with local ties, who can bring in the local top players. Santa Clara, San Francisco, easier to recruit in big NoCal or Cal altogether...similar schools, smaller schools. BC should be better as should Georgetown based on location.

SLU should be getting top local kids, top KC kids, and rest of state, AND dip into the region...then get natinal and international...should be a National Recruiting base, built from inside out. It isn't right now....well...yes and no...I want the out of towners to be top quality. They have never really recruited Chicago much except McBride. Some good players there too. Top local Chicago player picked a bad Marquette program(but they do have a new dynamic coach).

DD isn't getting a free pass. The school and AD need to commit to the program. Then he needs to win on the field. There needs to be a total commitment to be a top program. I see no reason SLU as a program, can't be a sweet 16 program or better most years, no.