visits

We've been hearing for about a year now that Suggs and Brandenburg have both been seen on campus multiple times. Often, they are playing with the guys. I know that a player only has so many official visits (5 i think), so it's VERY encouraging that they are using one on SLU having been here plenty. So, what exactly does taking an Official Visit do for us or them?

I believe getting one of the five 'official' visits, means you are on my dance card, one of the suitors. Of course a kid can go to any school, not just those with official visits, but for the out of town kids, it means they can officially pay for them to come in, wine and dine, etc. Unofficial, means meet the team, coaches, etc, but no extras.

Schools are limited, I believe, also on the number of players they may bring in for official visits.

mhg

I believe you are correct on all points. In addition, being one of the five "official" visits reduces by one the number of schools a kid is able to visit in an official capacity. Obviously, college campuses are more or less public places and kids can be on campus any number of times. The staff's access to them is limited by NCAA rules. Still, being one of five is definately encouraging and could be viewed as an indication the program is being taken seriously. Good news!

A player cannot take an official visit until their Senior year of high school. The Suggs and Brandenburg families both took unofficial visits within the last couple of weeks. They still have their five official visits and I don't think either player has a clue who those five schools will end up being, I would be surprised if they used an official visit on SLU since they can go there anytime they want to. I am sure these two will take lots of unofficial visits to lots of campuses so that doesn't mean there is a leader or that someone is not an option. It just means they are taking recruiting seriously and looking at all angles and the pros and cons of most of the schools that are interested in them. So that is all a very positive thing, but they have a long road ahead of them.