SLU Moves Up in 2007 U.S. News College Rankings...

BTW, one way that we all can help move up in these rankings is to improve our abysmally low alumni giving rate by making a donation to the university. The size of the donation is unimportant - even a $5 donation from someone who has not previously given back will help.

Being a recent graduate of Saint Louis University I honestly don't see myself contributing much to the university. If I do contribute it will be directed to the athletic department. I will be donating my money to my highschool where I felt the money goes to use in a way that is of benefit to the students and not just to the guests that the president shows around campus.

Give 'em $5 bucks then. Hell, give 'em a buck. Either way, it helps our rankings.

You can always make donations designated for specific purposes as well to help ensure that the money doesn't go to "the guests that the president shows around campus."

The guests that the president shows around campus are the BIG doners. Don't get bitter about it. They more than fund their trips through donations. And the rise in quality at SLU can be attributed in large part to Biondi. He's a popular target, but he has done amazing things for our school. I bet this ranking was significantly lower when he came on board.

FGWL's response is indicative of just about all the students at SLU (I graduated 02, btw). They like to ***** and moan about Biondi's golf cart or that he has his own house or that he drives guests around campus. But the fact is that Biondi has done a ridiculous amount of good for the school and deserves everything he has. Anybody who did his job for a public company would probably have more wealth than all the posters on this board combined. I disagree with some of his decisions on an induvidual basis, but on the whole he doesn't deserve nearly as much criticism as he gets. Unfortunately, SLU kids are GREAT at complaining...not so great at doing things.

I realize who the people are that Biondi showcases the campus to and I realize that is part of the job of any university president. I think Biondi has done an amazing job with the campus and I think he can be largely credited with the improvement of the surrounding area. Saint Louis University is a beautiful school and has a gorgeous campus. That was not at all what I was saying; I just think Biondi makes improvements to the school and the campus that really don't provide any real value to the students. I would take the new student center as an example. SLU recently constructed this beautiful new student center that has less things in it for actual students than the previous student center.

I could give a flying f**k if Biondi drives around campus in a golf cart with his dog and I don't see his house on campus as being overly extravegant. I have no complaints other than I don't think Biondi puts enough of the money from donations into things that actually provide increased benefit to the students.

we wanted to add swimming pools when Father Rheinhardt had Biondi's job; they actually listened. I'll probably never understand how we could tear down the three row houses across from humphrey's expecially the one we all bought baloney sandwiches from as we had no student union or cafeteria. But we did have a great Jesuit education and teachers who cared; I went to University of Illinois in Champaine-Urbana before SLU and while I have fond memories of both-I chose to get my grad work at SLU.

You will never find a closer student body than at SLU. At other schools they are your competition at SLU they were our classmates. Somebody still makes that part work.

The students had a hand in the planning of the new BSC, but the finished product did not match expectations. There was a lot written and said after completion that the students' voices were only partially heard in the design. The sports bar was disappointing at best, there is virtually no common space/atrium areas that almost all other student centers feature as the heart of the building, and it didn't bring enough new amenities to campus to make it impressive at all. To me, it already seems dated in its layout and exterior design.

The new project seems to be a failure for those and many other reasons. The students had some good ideas- some of which were incorporated, others which were not. The large ballroom on the lower level is a great feature; I can't say that about much else in there. As a student, you probably wouldn't spend much time there unless you are a member of one of the organizations with offices in the BSC.

Biondi plays the part when he needs to but always has a side agenda. my mom went up and talked to him at a SLU game and he was nice to her and said he would look after mom. He knows how to play the part of a president who cares about the university but also knows how to squeeze money out of people. He will only talk to students if he has too or if there are big donors with him. He has done a lot of SLU but isn't the god people say he is.

...by all of the negativism from some (not all) current students and recent graduates (this is directed at several of the posters in this thread, NOT Box and Won who I know is involved with the school and is a supporter of the University). Saint Louis University has come so far from when I went there (early/mid '80s). Virtually everything has improved, from academics to the campus to sports, yet it seems that all we hear about is how bad of a place it is! Very, very sad.

As for donating to the school...if you say you will not donate, I have one cliche for you: You are cutting off your nose just to spite your face. As a graduate, all your degree is worth in the job market, INITIALLY, is the reputation of your school. Period. The percentage of students giving to the University is a material and significant determinant (whether it should be is an entirely different issue) of rankings. So, if you refuse to give just to spite the school or for some reason of principle, you are really hurting yourself and other graduates far, far more than you are hurting the University. Biondi does not have a degree from SLU that is relevant to his career; the rest of us do. Think about it logically.

If you do not like what is happening at the University, do what a lot of us have done: join a board, attend events, plan homecoming, mentor a student, head up a committee, recruit donors, speak to a class, call incoming students, etc. THAT is how you effect change, not by complaining on internet boards that, statistically speaking, no one really even reads. And, yes, yes, I know you have a right to say whatever you want. God forbid anyone ever challenge your right to bash the University. I am just suggesting that people stop and really think about this; take the emotion out of it and really think about it. Thanks.