The New NBA

I was reading a thread titled "The Future Looks Bright". The author made some good points about players left undrafted. This sparked my interest to look at the 2006 draft. I also thought back to some old thread in relation to Tommie's shooting percentage and the NBA. In today's game it's really rare to find 50% jumpshooters. Could the reason be the NBA no longer places a premium on guys who can make jumpshots and do little else. Take a look at the names listed below. With the exception of Tyrus Thomas(Thomas only averaged around 8 shots per game), none of the guys shot above 50%.

Tyrus Thomas, Ronnie Brewer,Shawne Williams, Rajon Rondo, Maurice Ager, Mardy Collins, Hassan Adams, Danilo Pinnock, David Noel,Bobby Jones, and James White

Now look at the guys listed below who played against top notch competition and were touted as being scorers and shooters. All went undrafted. It's as if the NBA has taken the approach of NFL teams in relation to drafting kickers when it comes to shooters. You can always pick them off the streets for little to nothing in terms of pay.

Allan Ray 38% overall* 37% 3pt* 18.5ppg* Big East

Kevin Pittsnogle 47% overall* 40% 3pt* 19.3ppg* Big East

Mike Gansey 55% overall 43% 3pt* 16.8ppg* Big East

Taquan Dean 38% overall* 38% 3pt* 17.1ppg* Big East

To further illustrate this point take the case of Nick Fazekas of Nevada. Fazekas stands 6'11 averaged 21.8ppg, 10.4rpg, 53% shooter overall, 29% from 3 land and could get no assurances of being a 1st rounder from NBA scouts.

Fazekas said he made the decision to return for his senior season because he got no assurances he would be picked in the first round.

>When has the NBA ever put on premium on guys who could shoot

>from long range but do little else?

This is true, however guys who could shoot stood a fair chance of being drafted:

Steve Kerr

Steve Alford

John Paxson

Dale Ellis

Dell Curry

Glen Rice

They still do. Adam Morrison and JJ Redick both got drafted in the lottery. Steve Novak and Denham Brown got drafted in the early 2nd round. And from the last three drafts these are just some of the shooters that got drafted:

Rashad McCants

Salim Stoudamire

Travis Diener

Ben Gordon

Jarvis Hayes

Jason Kapono

>They still do. Adam Morrison and JJ Redick both got drafted

>in the lottery. Steve Novak and Denham Brown got drafted in

>the early 2nd round. And from the last three drafts these

>are just some of the shooters that got drafted:

>

>Rashad McCants

>Salim Stoudamire

>Travis Diener

>Ben Gordon

>Jarvis Hayes

>Jason Kapono

You can take Morrison out of the discussion. He is a baller period, not just a shooter. Denham Brown didn't get drafted due to his shooting, more likely for his defensive prowess. Rashad McCants is a reach. I will give you Stoudamire and Diener. Ben Gordon is a player and Jarvis Hayes is a defensive stopper. Jason Kapono admitted himself that he was somewhat undervalued when he came out. JJ Redick being drafted by Orlando probably has more to do with Dwight Howard than any other reason. If he can duplicate what he did at Duke that should ease things a bit for Howard, besides that how could you pass on the next Reggie Miller.

I was a little surprised that Pittsnogle wasn't picked up by anyone, especially considering many NBA teams' current fascination with European players in the mold of Dirk Nowitsky.

The drafting of Rondo was a surprise to me as well - doesn't anyone know that he can't shoot?